R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-12-2010, 01:46 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default First Nitro Buggy

Hey,
I'm trying to narrow it down for my first 1/8 nitro buggy. I'm looking for something rather inexpensive so here are my choices:

1) Ofna Hyper 7 Black

2)Jammin X1x CR sport Ready to run

3)Kyosho Inferno US Sports 2 Ready Set Buggy (MP 7.5)

4)Kyosho Inferno US Sports 4 Ready Set Buggy (MP 7.5)

I will be using it for bashing and casual racing, not so interested in ROAR sanctioned racing atm.

Thanks.
Doxiedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:53 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doxiedad View Post
Hey,
I'm trying to narrow it down for my first 1/8 nitro buggy. I'm looking for something rather inexpensive so here are my choices:

1) Ofna Hyper 7 Black

I will be using it for bashing and casual racing, not so interested in ROAR sanctioned racing atm.

Thanks.
from your list i would pick the Jammin. the others are multiple platform generations back from what is currently being used for racing. the jammin is a little older, but still pretty current.

once, you get into racing its likely youll stop bashing, or do it alot less frequently. racing is very addictive

out of curosity, have you looked into the Losi 8ight RTR kit. its the most complete, race worthly basher that you can get right now.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:54 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Quote:
Hey,

1) Ofna Hyper 7 Black

Thanks.
you need to see which one you get the most parts for at you local hobby shop so you dont have to order everything. I would pick one or two if you dont have trub getting parts Kyosho is kinda hi on their prices. But that all up to you
Old 01-12-2010, 01:57 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdaddy View Post
from your list i would pick the Jammin. the others are multiple platform generations back from what is currently being used for racing. the jammin is a little older, but still pretty current.

once, you get into racing its likely youll stop bashing, or do it alot less frequently. racing is very addictive

out of curosity, have you looked into the Losi 8ight RTR kit. its the most complete, race worthly basher that you can get right now.
I would definately recommend the losi 8ight RTR will be your best option in my opinion
MontanaMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:57 PM   #5
Tech Regular

My LHS carries Ofna and Losi but they are an hour away and about 25-30% higher than what I can get on the net For example they can get me a Hyper 7 PBS for $579 while tower hobbies has them for $379.

I'm all for supporting LHS but that is a bit much
Old 01-12-2010, 01:59 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdaddy View Post

I have but my budget is around the $300 mark, the Jammin is stretching it and the 8ight is way beyond it
Old 01-12-2010, 02:10 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
I have but my budget is around the $300 mark, the Jammin is stretching it and the 8ight is way beyond it
Not to be rude, but if that's your budget then 1/8th nitro probably isn't for you. Buying a new buggy is cheap compared to what it takes to run one and keep it in top shape. Spare parts add up fast, very fast. When you think you finally have everything you need, you break something that shouldn't have, or you lose a servo, or whatever. With any RTR kit, even the high dollar Losi, it needs new servos right away. They are weak and won't last. Then the motor will be ok, but it won't last as long either. Stock tires will be fine for bashing, but odds are against you that they will work on your local track. I'm not trying to be a downer and this stuff is crazy fun, I just hate seeing people go into it blind thinking a $300 car is going to do what they want and not cost anything to maintain. Heck, I've got one of the most durable kits made and I still have to replace parts. Ask my wife how many of the free A-main hobby tshirts I have from making big orders. They are all over my house.
pickle311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:11 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
then definitely go with the jammin
Old 01-12-2010, 02:14 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Also take a look at the Z car buggy. It's supposed to be a pretty nice buggy, comes with a good engine, and will be much more competative than any you listed from what I hear. I know they were running some crazy deals on them recently.
pickle311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:17 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickle311 View Post
Not to be rude, but if that's your budget then 1/8th nitro probably isn't for you. Buying a new buggy is cheap compared to what it takes to run one and keep it in top shape. Spare parts add up fast, very fast. When you think you finally have everything you need, you break something that shouldn't have, or you lose a servo, or whatever. With any RTR kit, even the high dollar Losi, it needs new servos right away. They are weak and won't last. Then the motor will be ok, but it won't last as long either. Stock tires will be fine for bashing, but odds are against you that they will work on your local track. I'm not trying to be a downer and this stuff is crazy fun, I just hate seeing people go into it blind thinking a $300 car is going to do what they want and not cost anything to maintain. Heck, I've got one of the most durable kits made and I still have to replace parts. Ask my wife how many of the free A-main hobby tshirts I have from making big orders. They are all over my house.
No problem. The $300 budget is just what I'm wanting to spend to buy it. I want to make sure 1/8 buggy is for me. I know it will cost more to keep it just like anything in life.
I wanted to try MT's so I bought a Revo 3.3 and had it for a couple months before I had to sell it. I've learned that resell for a RC is about 1/2 of what you pay. Plus I would have a hard time bashing with a $600 losi 8ight, love the buggy but it is $600 you're jumping and playing with.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:42 PM   #11
Tech Regular

I've found the Hyper 8.5x rtr for like $369. How good is that buggy compared to the others I've listed?
Old 01-16-2010, 09:38 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Ok I have to check with the local track to see if I can run the Jammin with the .28 or not. What would be the suggestion if I can't?
Old 01-16-2010, 09:55 PM   #13
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to smb17

They will probably let you.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:58 PM   #14
Tech Regular

Ok cool thanks.