Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Has the industry taken nitro buggies as far as it can take it? >

Has the industry taken nitro buggies as far as it can take it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has the industry taken nitro buggies as far as it can take it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 01:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Has the industry taken nitro buggies as far as it can take it?

I was thinking (this has nothing to do with nitro engines), What else is left to be done to nitro buggies to make them better?

I have my mugen dialed in, And it handles so awesome, corners on rails and really feels and handles like a real car.

So, what else can be done? Make them lighter? They are plenty lite enough, almost to lite. Better drive train and Diffs? I don't know how much more efficient they can make that. I have even heard the ferroni smart diffs gave no bump in performance.

Durability? quality? Mugen/ xray

Weight distribution, tires, shocks, diffs, just about everything seems to be on a plateau.

I think if anything, the only thing that will change is cheaper kits, and more electric conversions or actual true 1/8 scale electric buggies.

But this is not about electric, it's about nitro.

So what would you do to improve a nitro buggy? I can't think of anything.

Engines? That is a different story.

Oh, i couldn't make my race today
Old 01-09-2010, 01:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

There's always improvements to a car. 1:1 cars are exactly the same. Can't think of a way to improve on it or change it... That's why there are designers . Probably got 2 or 3 ideas in the pipeline ready for future cars without us knowing
Old 01-09-2010, 01:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

There is always room for improvement on anything to make the performance better when the losi first come out it was the cream of the crop and now there are so many cars that are just as good as the losi and they will just get better.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DPowers
There is always room for improvement on anything to make the performance better when the losi first come out it was the cream of the crop and now there are so many cars that are just as good as the losi and they will just get better.
+1

in my opinion i see the technology just getting a good momentum going, i look for some good things to come in the next few years!
Old 01-09-2010, 02:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Competition from electric buggies is getting stiffer and stiffer. The Nitro buggy's center of gravity needs to be as low as the low CG electric's. Maybe
a .21 version of the old OS Lay Down .12 enginge. Nitro engine/clutch power traction control needs work. Of course shocks and suspension could always be improved.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:37 PM
Tech Adept

The industry is not even close to tapping into the technology thats out there and being used in the upper levels of motorsports. I think over time more and more of the technology will find its way into RC car racing. A lot of the technology thats used in motorsports is developed in the aerospace industry whether it be materials or composites etc. Then it usually trickles down from there with racing usually getting their hands on this technoloy first. Over time you will have more entrepreneur's bringing this technology to our industry.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:41 PM
Tech Adept

Similar things have been said over time with all forms of technology and yet they keep getting bigger, smaller, faster, lighter....Future improvements are more liklely to be evolution rather than revolution. Even better quality alloys and composites for same or less cost, slight geometry changes (like serpent/durango apparent rear shock mounting positions) may be the type of things that gain more popularity. Tyre tread pattens and compounds are always being tested (or copied in the case of some manufacturers! ) Development priority in terms of classes will be driven by end user demand. The differences between the main manufacturers are likely to be quite subtle and there will no doubt be some cases where changes are made for "new model sake" as opposed to actual performance advantage. The relatively level playing field that currently exists between the leading manufacturers should encourage further product development. Combine this with the need for new entrants to produce something a little different in order to be noticed and you have the basis for an interesting future in 1/8 scale.

Mike.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I think there's always places to go with technology and sport, especially ours.

Crazy and not so crazy stuff like...

- Generally more well thought out engineering
- Super-easily removable diffs, snap-in snap out between heats pit lane
- More easily changed parts, ability to change things like arms during a main without major time loss
- More smartdiff type technology
- Engine management systems? Optimally/continuously tune the engine throughout the run based on telemetry, performance needs, etc.
- (good) Telemetry more common
- Ability to make additional adjustments via radio (a la F1 steering wheel), possibly remote tune hsn/lsn?
- No maintenance, or greatly reduced maintenance
- Permanently lubed and fully sealed bearings good for years, and provide easy indicators of wear when they need replacing (maybe the shield changes colors?)
- Easier to clean, air hose attachment in arms or air channels through chassis
- Adjustable/tunable tire inserts
- More advanced tire patterns, how about one that can run in mud but not collect mud... (yes im in Florida)

Yes, some are farfetched, but the same would have been said about a 250gb ipod 5 years ago, or a lipo powered rc heli the size of my palm...
Old 01-09-2010, 08:48 PM
Tech Regular

All good ideas ^ With respect to nitro engines, I would love to see a lay down .21 with fuel injection. OS did fuel injection years ago already in plane engines and then discontinued it (I think). It is time to adapt that technology to offroad.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Tech Elite

call me a nut but i think there is way more to go with nitro buggies and truggies like built into the chassi Gyro's for stabilisation,and many more designers are working on upgrades behind closed doors as we speak
Old 01-09-2010, 09:35 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by COBRARACING
call me a nut but i think there is way more to go with nitro buggies and truggies like built into the chassi Gyro's for stabilisation,
Illegal. Many of the possible advancements are not possible due to rules rather than technology. Things like traction control, active suspensions, fuel injection, etc. are all possible but banned.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:37 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by aray
I think there's always places to go with technology and sport, especially ours.

Crazy and not so crazy stuff like...

- Generally more well thought out engineering
- Super-easily removable diffs, snap-in snap out between heats pit lane
- More easily changed parts, ability to change things like arms during a main without major time loss
- More smartdiff type technology
- Engine management systems? Optimally/continuously tune the engine throughout the run based on telemetry, performance needs, etc.
- (good) Telemetry more common
- Ability to make additional adjustments via radio (a la F1 steering wheel), possibly remote tune hsn/lsn?
- No maintenance, or greatly reduced maintenance
- Permanently lubed and fully sealed bearings good for years, and provide easy indicators of wear when they need replacing (maybe the shield changes colors?)
- Easier to clean, air hose attachment in arms or air channels through chassis
- Adjustable/tunable tire inserts
- More advanced tire patterns, how about one that can run in mud but not collect mud... (yes im in Florida)

Yes, some are farfetched, but the same would have been said about a 250gb ipod 5 years ago, or a lipo powered rc heli the size of my palm...
Man that's some really good ideas. I knew i was wrong. But i just wonder how much more performance can be had. I believe ease of maintenance and interchangeable parts could be better. I really like the idea of tuning your engine with a trim switch.

Good stuff. I think the durability of nitro engines could be better. I think there is a better clutch setup and power delivery as well.

Very interesting this thread is.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I don't think we're anywhere close to seeing the limits; not by a long shot. That having been said, one must take into consideration that innovation comes at a price, and by that I mean a financial price, be it in time/man hours or the cost of prototyping various goodies, or materials, or all three. Also, with radical change comes a certain amount of risk, since time/money spent on certain potential "innovations" might not pan-out, or may simply not be viable commercially.

Second, current racing rules prohibit certain exotic materials or devices from being used as a means of levelling the playing field, and also to keep costs under control.

For example, all of the steel in a car's drivetrain could be replaced with titanium (especially those big, heavy gears) or some other super-light alloy to increase acceleration, but it just wouldn't be cost-feasible, nor would it be cost-feasible to have all-ceramic engine bearings, ceramic piston and/or sleeve, titanium conrods, you name it.

Heck, if someone really wanted to, they could probably find a way to come up with a mini active-suspension system to knock 2-3 seconds off your lap time, but at what cost? How many people would spend the 2-3Gs per car for that?

Technical innovation is good, but innovation gone rampant could kill the hobby; I remember the glory days of Sports Prototype racing back in the early 90s, and how they essentially spent themselves into oblivion. Not a good model to follow.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:48 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dreaux
Good stuff. I think the durability of nitro engines could be better. I think there is a better clutch setup and power delivery as well.
Very easily done. Boat guys have been doing it for years but again, illegal. Third servos and electronic engine management are banned.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wingracer
Illegal. Many of the possible advancements are not possible due to rules rather than technology. Things like traction control, active suspensions, fuel injection, etc. are all possible but banned.
really? that's backward thinking. We might as well go back to soap box derby. So racing is holding back the industry. I mean without the industry there would be no races, but you would still have a industrial market without the racing. So you premise does not make sense. The industry dictates not the other way around.

I hope i am right, but i have a feeling i am about to eat it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.