R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-12-2010, 03:57 PM   #106
Tech Lord
 
wingracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,781
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

Check this page out.

http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=882338
__________________
Sean. Certified speed crazed mowron.
Team Shepherd USA
www.ashfordhobby.com
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:01 PM   #107
Tech Lord
 
wingracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,781
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBRARACING View Post
I know there illegal but could you imagine what a system like that would do to a begginer coming into our sport.Not only would it give him or her confidence to race and be competative but also bring more people into our sport who feel intimidated by the high level drivers out there at present .

I think it would be good for our sport dont you think?
Some of it yes, some no.

Fuel injection could be a big boom for the basher/RTR market. A motor that ran with no tuning would really help the newbie. Racing manufacturers will not touch it because it's illegal but some company like Traxxas or OS could make it work and start selling them to the basher market. Then you could see a rule change for a crossover.

Many of the other possible electronic aids, no, not good for the newbie. Much more expensive, much more complicated, would need an engineering degree to be competitive, etc. Just look at all the people bitching about programmable speedos on the electric side.
__________________
Sean. Certified speed crazed mowron.
Team Shepherd USA
www.ashfordhobby.com
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:02 PM   #108
Tech Prophet
 
houston's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: portland OR
Posts: 15,088
Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
expensive exhaust with airflow sensors , a reallllyyy expensive carburetor and an even spendier processor unit .
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
Digital circuitry, data technology and Computers in general, are getting much, much smaller and very powerful. the injectors i don't know much about.

It's only a matter of time before someone does it. Once it becomes affordable.


Hey i would pay a grand for a engine that is tuned perfectly and never needs to be touched
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
OS used to have what they called a fuel injected plain motor. It was really just an ECU controlled carb but I hear it worked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by COBRARACING View Post
I know there illegal but could you imagine what a system like that would do to a begginer coming into our sport.Not only would it give him or her confidence to race and be competative but also bring more people into our sport who feel intimidated by the high level drivers out there at present .

I think it would be good for our sport dont you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
i am talking about if you were to build them for a racing application

you dont just take a street car and figure its tuned for drag racin do ya ?

just a simple analogy and gas engines are quite different
__________________
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:05 PM   #109
Tech Lord
 
wingracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,781
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
i am talking about if you were to build them for a racing application

you dont just take a street car and figure its tuned for drag racin do ya ?

just a simple abalogy and gas engines are quite different
I hear you Houston, but it works the other way too. Any kid with a laptop can tune his Honda drag car but it takes a seasoned pro to build a good racing carb for the big cars.
__________________
Sean. Certified speed crazed mowron.
Team Shepherd USA
www.ashfordhobby.com
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:20 PM   #110
Tech Prophet
 
houston's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: portland OR
Posts: 15,088
Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
I hear you Houston, but it works the other way too. Any kid with a laptop can tune his Honda drag car but it takes a seasoned pro to build a good racing carb for the big cars.
i like the way you think Winger
__________________
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:25 PM   #111
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,872
Default

yup so true anybody can tune a engine, with a computer lol. thats why i like to tune a engine manuelly, and not on a laptop like tuneing a electric speedo and motor.
thats for lazy people j/k.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:53 AM   #112
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 864
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
Has the industry taken nitro buggies as far as it can take it?
This is the future:

http://www.team-durango.com/blog/
TopGearRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:04 AM   #113
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 196
Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)
Default

Why the need for such over-innovation?

Racing R/C cars is a hobby. The rules currently put in place to keep such technology out of the cars is to preserve that hobby. Instead of demanding things to make every aspect of racing that much easier, go out and do what the top tier of racers have done and step the driving up.

There are countless brands on countless podiums worldwide, if these "original, advanced, better, worse, cheaper, copycat, etc, etc" designs are capable of winning, what else should they do?

The track size (at least in the US) is consistently increasing yet the vehicles take the ridiculous amount of punishment with each new release. I think they deserve alot more credit than they are getting.

I think this mentality is used in all sports/hobbies. Rules are made to keep a certain lvl of competitiveness. Enjoy your very expensive toy cars fellas.
ryan sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:56 AM   #114
Tech Fanatic
 
MontanaMaxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 877
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan sparks View Post
Why the need for such over-innovation?

Racing R/C cars is a hobby. The rules currently put in place to keep such technology out of the cars is to preserve that hobby. Instead of demanding things to make every aspect of racing that much easier, go out and do what the top tier of racers have done and step the driving up.

There are countless brands on countless podiums worldwide, if these "original, advanced, better, worse, cheaper, copycat, etc, etc" designs are capable of winning, what else should they do?

The track size (at least in the US) is consistently increasing yet the vehicles take the ridiculous amount of punishment with each new release. I think they deserve alot more credit than they are getting.

I think this mentality is used in all sports/hobbies. Rules are made to keep a certain lvl of competitiveness. Enjoy your very expensive toy cars fellas.
I have to agree I am satisfied with the performance of my car and motor always runnin good but what always gets me is tires
MontanaMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 03:32 AM   #115
JQ
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,588
Default

I have a few questions, just out of curiosity, lets see if it is possible to have a discussion on this forum, instead of a bashing match:

I agree that the Durango looks brilliant, and if its possible for an RC car to be sexy, the durango definitely is. BUT, why is this the future? Because it is put together differently, or because there is more CNC aluminium?What is it about the car that is so great, is it just how it looks? Because there is nothing about it that will make the performance way better than the current cars. Geometry is the same as losi it seems, weight distribution pretty close, steering slightly different, diffs and shocks the same...it just LOOKS different.

So my ultimate question is, which is more important for a RC hobbyist, looks or performance? The Durango seems to have identical geometry to the Losi. Cant be sure until I have one. So it is reasonable to assume that it will be close in performance to the Losi. But lets say for the sake of argument, that the Losi still out-performs it, but the durango looks much cooler, which one do you chose, assuming the price and support is the same? Looks or performance?
JQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 03:42 AM   #116
Tech Elite
 
speedy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,719
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

one day I drove my buggy without braces
handling over bumps was really exceptional
so if someone comes out with a chassis that does flex
but doesn't bend in composite or something ..
__________________
//JQ The Car forever/ Soar //Protek-Ace-JR
speedy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:10 AM   #117
Tech Master
 
captain america's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,425
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ View Post
I have a few questions, just out of curiosity, lets see if it is possible to have a discussion on this forum, instead of a bashing match:

I agree that the Durango looks brilliant, and if its possible for an RC car to be sexy, the durango definitely is. BUT, why is this the future? Because it is put together differently, or because there is more CNC aluminium?What is it about the car that is so great, is it just how it looks? Because there is nothing about it that will make the performance way better than the current cars. Geometry is the same as losi it seems, weight distribution pretty close, steering slightly different, diffs and shocks the same...it just LOOKS different.

So my ultimate question is, which is more important for a RC hobbyist, looks or performance? The Durango seems to have identical geometry to the Losi. Cant be sure until I have one. So it is reasonable to assume that it will be close in performance to the Losi. But lets say for the sake of argument, that the Losi still out-performs it, but the durango looks much cooler, which one do you chose, assuming the price and support is the same? Looks or performance?
Seems like a fair series of questions, so I'll give this a go if you'll indulge me.

I think that the reasons that some have touted this buggy as being "the future" of RC are several.

For one, it has a lot of great features as standard, in-the-box equipment, such as PTFE coated shock bodies, milled-out (lightened) wheel hubs, lightweight engine mount with chassis marks to facilitate gear mesh, lightened drive cups, rubber boots over the CVDs to keep out harmful debris, aluminum gearbox bearing seats to better support the loads on the bearings, aluminum suspension holders with inserts, the fact that the throttle/brake linkage is out of the way of the air filter, quick access for all 3 diffs, and so on.

Essentially, a lot of components that one must buy as options are included in the basic kit, and at a price that puts a lot of the "bigger names" in RC to shame, so it may well be that many of us see this as a positive trend for the future of R/C.

Second, while Durango may not necessarily be the innovators (or maybe they are, I don't know) of many of the neat aspects of the car, I can't think of any buggy (save for the TM M8) that packed so many features on one car. Usually, you would see a few little things on one car, one or two on another, but they really do have a high number of seemingly-minor improvements. Once again, this "nothing is too good for our car" approach may yet be another facet that people take a liking to.

Third, the name "DURANGO" while perhaps not having the pedigree of a company like Kyosho or Losi, has been associated, from its inception, with innovation and high performance. These guys have demonstrated by their deeds that they don't just innovate for the sake of innovation, their cars have, to my memory, always been very competitive on the circuit.

Therefore, when you say "it just LOOKS different" for the time being, you're right, because all we've seen so far are photos. That having been said, if Durango's (short) history is anything to go by, I have a hunch that this buggy will perform as well as it looks.

Also, to be fair, while the Losi is no doubt a very good car performance-wise, it is also incredibly overpriced considering the quality of the materials used, and it shows in how quickly the parts wear-out. I know, because I had one.

As for whether someone will opt for looks or performance, I tend to think that most people will opt for the latter. I think the real question should be: if one has the option of two cars with similar performance, one being $50 cheaper, but requires much more frequent maintenance and parts replacement... Or the other car, similar performance, which is $50 more, loaded with features & hop-ups, more maintenance-friendly AND is sex to the eyes, which would you choose?

I hope that I was able to provide you with some useful comments/ideas, JQ
captain america is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:45 AM   #118
Tech Regular
 
Grimlock212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 382
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain america View Post

Also, to be fair, while the Losi is no doubt a very good car performance-wise, it is also incredibly overpriced considering the quality of the materials used, and it shows in how quickly the parts wear-out. I know, because I had one.
I have issues with the above comment. You can get a Losi 8ight RTR delivered to your door for $600. This comes with a $250 radio, $150+ engine combo, starter box, and not to mention the actual buggy. In essence you are getting the buggy for $100, so how is this overpriced?!? As far as I can tell, it is one of the best deals in the industry....it is a steal!
__________________
Grimlock212
Losi 8ight 2.0: Clockwork Racing Engines JLR .21, Hitec 7955tg x2, Spektrum DX3S
Losi 8ight-T 2.0: Clockwork Racing Engines JLR .21, Hitec 7955tg x2, Spektrum DX3S
Losi Ten-T: 7/7/2, Kingpin tires, optional Losi Springs, Spektrum DX3S
Nor-Cal Hobbies: Union City, CA
Grimlock212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:49 AM   #119
Tech Regular
 
Grimlock212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 382
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Can technology be advance on our RC cars? Sure. They could take all the technology off the Lancer EVO and scale it down to RC size. Computer controlled LSDs, etc. Obviously this would cost a ton of money, but it could be done.

So if you want a $40K RC car, you could definitely make one that is way more advanced than what we have now, but nobody would want it. It also might not take the abuse.
__________________
Grimlock212
Losi 8ight 2.0: Clockwork Racing Engines JLR .21, Hitec 7955tg x2, Spektrum DX3S
Losi 8ight-T 2.0: Clockwork Racing Engines JLR .21, Hitec 7955tg x2, Spektrum DX3S
Losi Ten-T: 7/7/2, Kingpin tires, optional Losi Springs, Spektrum DX3S
Nor-Cal Hobbies: Union City, CA
Grimlock212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:52 AM   #120
Tech Master
 
captain america's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,425
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlock212 View Post
I have issues with the above comment. You can get a Losi 8ight RTR delivered to your door for $600. This comes with a $250 radio, $150+ engine combo, starter box, and not to mention the actual buggy. In essence you are getting the buggy for $100, so how is this overpriced?!? As far as I can tell, it is one of the best deals in the industry....it is a steal!
Who said anything about the RTR? I'm talking about the race edition that's $650 at A Main.
captain america is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:56 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net