R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-11-2010, 06:47 PM   #91
Tech Adept

Cool thread! I believe Kyosho had a gyro for cars way back when, I think they have them for those silly little miniz...but who wants a gyro anyway!?

The original Burns had an externally adjustable center diff way back when! although it was some what simple and probably wasn't any big benefit, as the rest of the car wasn't as advanced
Rattlesnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:45 PM   #92
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
That's an idea, it would have to be really reliable. All 1/8th cars flex a ton, look at what happens to body mount holes.
what do you mean by spring loaded belt tensioner? How would that work? how would that keep the flexing down or adjustable?

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:12 PM   #93
Tech Elite

why can't they find a way to cover the holes in the chassis for the flywheel and center diff?

I am pretty sure it's because of chassis flex, but there has to be a way to keep that stuff out of harms way. I am tired of taking off the flywheel to get all the crap out.

I am tired of seeing little chips in my center diff.

Find a new way to start the flywheel and avoid the chassis flex.

Mugen
Old 01-11-2010, 08:29 PM   #94
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
why can't they find a way to cover the holes in the chassis for the flywheel and center diff?

I am pretty sure it's because of chassis flex, but there has to be a way to keep that stuff out of harms way. I am tired of taking off the flywheel to get all the crap out.

I am tired of seeing little chips in my center diff.

Find a new way to start the flywheel and avoid the chassis flex.

yea but that would, be a pain in the rear end , if you had a cover or something else to prevent rocks from, getting into the flywheel .
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:14 PM   #95
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I want to see an onboard ECU and fuel injection. Bye bye tuning issues and hello increased performance.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:53 PM   #96
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

In my opinion there is a long way to go before the 1/8 buggy tops out.

The starting point would be improved shocks and suspension, ie dual acting shocks with remote reservoirs.
Elimination of front and rear bump steer.
Once the suspension improves to a point where it can absorb the bumps then they can make a stiffer chassis, once that is possable I think they can work harder on a lower centre of gravity, ie lay down motors, flat fuel tank that rather than being a big square, will sit low on the chassis, be wider rather than taller.
Doing this may require a fuel pump with a surge tank.
Smaller and lighter electrics with easy removal radio trays.

I am sure there are more things, but first improvements need to be in suspension.

Alot of this stuff I have built into my 1:1 racers over the years (I have raced both circuit and pro class buggy)
boxhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:15 AM   #97
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank L View Post
I want to see an onboard ECU and fuel injection. Bye bye tuning issues and hello increased performance.
lol, the idea of people bringing little dynos with exhaust sniffers to the track amuses me.

But yes, that would rule hard.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:40 PM   #98
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

How about a manual override that engages the clutch, then all you do is roll the car forward to spin start the engine, this is the same way they start plane motors only reason they can't in nitro is because of clutch. That will totally eliminate: 1. starter box 2. Starter box battaries 3. Starter box fires etc.. 4. pull starts 5. rotostarts 6. drill starts......basically it will take off about 12pounds (or more if you use gel cell) from your pit bag.
TopGearRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:22 PM   #99
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjqkz View Post
How about a manual override that engages the clutch, then all you do is roll the car forward to spin start the engine, this is the same way they start plane motors only reason they can't in nitro is because of clutch. That will totally eliminate: 1. starter box 2. Starter box battaries 3. Starter box fires etc.. 4. pull starts 5. rotostarts 6. drill starts......basically it will take off about 12pounds (or more if you use gel cell) from your pit bag.

The thing with all of this is that the more moving parts you put on the car, the more potential points of failure you have created. In a race car, you remove everything that's not needed. Look at MotoGP bikes, they don't have starters on them. They use a battery powerd starter that spins the rear wheel.
I'm also finding humor in visualizing 12 people in the pit lane rolling buggies back and forth trying to start them.
pickle311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:26 PM   #100
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank L View Post

Apparently fuel injection is illegal in 1/8th offroad, not sure why. There has never been a fuel injected buggy engine, that I'm aware of. A lot more people would get into the hobby if they didn't have to tune their engine. I'm all for it!
CKmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:47 PM   #101
Tech Prophet

yea i dont think a, fuel injected nitro engine, whould be a good idea.
just think about all the extra crap. you whould have to replace, and extra problems lol.

the only thing i can see that could work, is a actual gas engine like some airplanes use and, the hpi baja has... the only downside, is the weight of a gas engine in a 1/8 buggy.

if you get quality nitro engine like a nova, or a rb you barely have to touch the needles anyways, inless is really cold outside.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:54 PM   #102
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
yea i dont think a, fuel injected nitro engine, whould be a good idea.
just think about all the extra crap. you whould have to replace, and extra problems lol.

the only thing i can see that could work, is a actual gas engine like some airplanes use and, the hpi baja has... the only downside, is the weight of a gas engine in a 1/8 buggy.

if you get quality nitro engine like a nova, or a rb you barely have to touch the needles anyways, inless is really cold outside.
expensive exhaust with airflow sensors , a reallllyyy expensive carburetor and an even spendier processor unit .
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:45 PM   #103
Tech Elite

Digital circuitry, data technology and Computers in general, are getting much, much smaller and very powerful. the injectors i don't know much about.

It's only a matter of time before someone does it. Once it becomes affordable.

Hey i would pay a grand for a engine that is tuned perfectly and never needs to be touched

Mugen
Old 01-12-2010, 03:52 PM   #104
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
Digital circuitry, data technology and Computers in general, are getting much, much smaller and very powerful. the injectors i don't know much about.

It's only a matter of time before someone does it. Once it becomes affordable.
OS used to have what they called a fuel injected plain motor. It was really just an ECU controlled carb but I hear it worked.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:56 PM   #105
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
Illegal. Many of the possible advancements are not possible due to rules rather than technology. Things like traction control, active suspensions, fuel injection, etc. are all possible but banned.
I know there illegal but could you imagine what a system like that would do to a begginer coming into our sport.Not only would it give him or her confidence to race and be competative but also bring more people into our sport who feel intimidated by the high level drivers out there at present .

I think it would be good for our sport dont you think?
4th Floor, 3rd Building, KeLunTe Industrial Park, ShangLiLang, BuLan Road, LongGang District, ShenZhen, China
COBRARACING is offline   Reply With Quote