R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-10-2010, 01:15 PM   #46
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
why in the world would that be illegal? If it makes it better, then why not implement it?

I am sorry but that is just stupid
oh boy
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:38 PM   #47
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default I've got one

Less smoke. Seriously, I think nitro is cool especially with pit stops, indoor racing in the north would be inproved if people could with stand the fumes.

I guess that is improved mileage, not really sure. Houston?
uncle everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:57 PM   #48
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle everett View Post
Less smoke. Seriously, I think nitro is cool especially with pit stops, indoor racing in the north would be inproved if people could with stand the fumes.

I guess that is improved mileage, not really sure. Houston?
are you asking how would we would be able to have less smoke out of our nitro engines?

i believe the answer lies in our engine design , the common design of our nitro engines requires alot of lubrication which in turn makes alot of smoke. methanol and nitro methane both burn ultra clean so that is definitely not the issue . i am pretty confident that there many lubricating properties/products out today that many fuel makers are using and seeing just how far they can push the lubrication envelope while still maintaining the performance, lubrication and tunability package .
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:03 PM   #49
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I think you are seeing the top of the curve as far as design and engineering goes.
All of our cars in just about every class have morphed into a clone of each other with small differences and features. There is only so many ways to reinvent the wheel.
Power systems, electronics, materials, that is where you will see improvements.
Oval, onroad, offroad, electric, nitro, nothing earth shattering about anyone's designs, they all look similar now a days. Even Associated went with a dual belt car like everyone elses for touring cars.
Here is a perfect example (not 1/8 offroad, just an example of what is happening with all classes).
Looks like everything else in it's class:

http://www.redrc.net/2010/01/kyoshos...w-touring-car/

http://www.redrc.net/wp-content/uplo...rappKyosho.jpg

8ight B 2.0 brushless
tekin rx8 1550kv
sharkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:21 PM   #50
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The technology on these buggies isn't actually that advanced at all. There is so much room for improvement. Drivetrain efficiency, aerodynamics and shocks immediately come to mind.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:24 PM   #51
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by razo125 View Post
1. Low Cost
2. Speed
3. Durability

Thats what everyone wants. But you can only pick two in the real world.

Anything is possible but many of the rules are setup to keep racing affordable. Haha affordable now that's funny. 1/8th nitro is one of the most expensive classes. But I think the intent is to keep things affordable so more people can race and the class grows.

nitro 1/8 doesnt have to be the most expensive , people dont need to buy $120 to $160 servos . theres servos out there that, dont cost that much and are good quality.

yea sure if you are racing in big events, all the time like pros then i can see it being expensive. but yea keeping it more, afforable would help.
and also the tires that are made these days, last longer then back in the day.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:26 PM   #52
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Oh, and I'm sure there are huge advances that can be made to the fuel, but I guess you said this isn't about engines.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:29 PM   #53
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
Shrouded fan cooling (think Briggs and Stratton). This might have to be gear driven since a tiny fan spinning @ 30,000rpm would probably cost lots of power but this would do away with the need for a cooling head completely.

Lay-down engines are a novel idea but where would they lay down to? The durrent drivetrain layout is in the way and dictates most choices.

The Hyper 9e's layout seems to have nitro possibilities, put the Diff in the back where the spur gear is out of the way and the cars can get lots narrower.

If electrics get to the point where 1/2 hour mains are reliably possible, nitro will be hurting. Not gone but seriously hurting.

yea but the tracks i know of atleast ,never run 1/2 hour mains at least club racing so i dont see that ,happen really anytime soon.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:37 PM   #54
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
yea but the tracks i know of atleast ,never run 1/2 hour mains at least club racing so i dont see that ,happen really anytime soon.
Wow you must have some pretty pityful tracks near you
JBURCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:40 PM   #55
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBURCH View Post
Wow you must have some pretty pityful tracks near you
oh no you tell me what club tracks, race 1/2 hour long mains then?
Old 01-10-2010, 02:55 PM   #56
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
oh no you tell me what club tracks, race 1/2 hour long mains then?
All 3 I race here in Virginia do.....
Old 01-10-2010, 02:58 PM   #57
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBURCH View Post
All 3 I race here in Virginia do.....
well ok well the tracks i been to atlest ,never had 1/2 mains virginia is too far for me.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:00 PM   #58
Tech Addict

Thats why I said you must have pittyful tracks near you dah
Old 01-10-2010, 03:08 PM   #59
Tech Elite

Most of the southern tracks run at least 1/2hr mains. The b and lower are less to keep things moving.

bottom line: If your nitro class isn't running at least 30min mains then your track sucks.

Anyways, BOT, 1/8th is still stoneage, but the market rarely allows for cutting edge tech like:

- serperate adjustable rebound and compression circuits in the shocks. Or neodymium magnets for a shock piston, another repulsive magnet in the shock cap.
- temp sensor built into the block that gives a accurate voltage output for temp gauges.
-accurate immersion sensor in the exhaust for proper egt readings
- 4 stroke big bores that can rev and have enough torque to spin the big gear needed to have the topend of 2 strokes. Better fuel economy, possibly better traction, more electric like power. maybe .45-.54 displacement?
- imagine an engine as reliable and easy idle simplicity as a 4 stroke airplane, maybe if nitro wasn't such a pain it wouldn't be dieing off.
-hypoid cut gears for less noise and friction
-oneway active diffs
-less bumpsteer and play in the front end
- lower brands like AE, Losi, and Hotbodies useing quality plastic and metal like X-ray and Mugen.
-AKA barcodes
-AKA wet indoor clay slicks
-better wings
-more aero work like an F1 car. Winglets on body etc.

E conversions could use some help as well:

-bodies and side pods desighned to use velcro to hold body on for quick removal, or hinged bodies
-quick change battery boxes with spring loaded sliding connector bars on the battery box allowing complete battery box changes and allow softpacks pemanently mounted in each box. for pit stops.
-hypoid pinion and spur gears for less noise
- strong thick plastic spur gear for less noise
- grease shields that will allow pinion to be greased and not fling all over the body, for less noise.
-esc's with less fire.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:11 PM   #60
Tech Prophet

why would tracks suck that dont run 1/2 mains please , people get tried from racing 20 mains or 25 the tracks. here in pa and nj are, pretty good tracks.