R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-09-2010, 09:54 PM   #16
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain america View Post

For example, all of the steel in a car's drivetrain could be replaced with titanium (especially those big, heavy gears) or some other super-light alloy to increase acceleration, but it just wouldn't be cost-feasible, nor would it be cost-feasible to have all-ceramic engine bearings, ceramic piston and/or sleeve, titanium conrods, you name it.
Some of these have been done and aren't all that expensive but just were not as good. For instance, steel really is the best material for most drive train components. Aluminum gears could actually be cheaper as well as lighter but wouldn't last. Titanium would be more costly but again, wouldn't last. Even F1 uses steel gears and other drivetrain components. Titanium rods have been done but there are problems with them. Ceramic pistons are available for some motors but are illegal for ours.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:56 PM   #17
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
really? that's backward thinking. We might as well go back to soap box derby. So racing is holding back the industry. I mean without the industry there would be no races, but you would still have a industrial market without the racing. So you premise does not make sense. The industry dictates not the other way around.

I hope i am right, but i have a feeling i am about to eat it
Really? You want a 10,000 dollar RC car that would require an engineering degree to set-up and be obsolete after a month? If so, go big car racing.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:58 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to RCmayor

Three things I would like to see are.

Plug in battery packs, think cordless drill. All you have to do pop the battery out and put it in a table top charger to charge. No more battery box.

Rotary on off switch, could be totally sealed with o rings on the shaft. No way could it turn off by it self.

An engine mount that is adjustable with a threaded rod or set screw.

And one more, a fully pre-wired radio tray. Servos with 2 inch wires that just plug into the wiring bus on the radio tray. I hate packing radio boxes with 16"s of extra wire.
RCmayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:09 PM   #19
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCmayor View Post
And one more, a fully pre-wired radio tray. Servos with 2 inch wires that just plug into the wiring bus on the radio tray. I hate packing radio boxes with 16"s of extra wire.

Good idea! +1 to that....
CKmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:15 PM   #20
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCmayor View Post
Three things I would like to see are.

Plug in battery packs, think cordless drill. All you have to do pop the battery out and put it in a table top charger to charge. No more battery box.

Rotary on off switch, could be totally sealed with o rings on the shaft. No way could it turn off by it self.

An engine mount that is adjustable with a threaded rod or set screw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKmaxx View Post
Good idea! +1 to that....

A few months ago I got tired of that also, so now I cut out 10 inches and resplice the wires. Servos work fine and my rx box is much happier.

As far as whether or not buggies have reached there potential..No way..I cant wait for the new Serpent buggy and look what Hobao Did with the Hyper 9..Not a very popular car on the tracks, but genius as far as innovations and design
Old 01-09-2010, 10:20 PM   #21
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
As far as whether or not buggies have reached there potential..No way..I cant wait for the new Serpent buggy and look what Hobao Did with the Hyper 9..Not a very popular car on the tracks, but genius as far as innovations and design
Plus who knows what Durango has up their sleeves.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:44 AM   #22
Tech Prophet

i would say just make a cooling ,head for a .21 engine that is low enough
to make it a ,low center of gravity... as for a fuel injected, nitro engine seems like it would be a pain to me .with all the extra crap you, would have to use.

but do you really think any of us, avevege joes will notice the diffrence in handling if the cooling head is lower.
tc5 man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:07 AM   #23

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

it was said many times when the original inferno came out that kyosho had simply thought of everything and executed it perfectly, that only improvements in motors, elecs, and tires.

heh.

R
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:17 AM   #24
Tech Addict

1. Low Cost
2. Speed
3. Durability

Thats what everyone wants. But you can only pick two in the real world.

Anything is possible but many of the rules are setup to keep racing affordable. Haha affordable now that's funny. 1/8th nitro is one of the most expensive classes. But I think the intent is to keep things affordable so more people can race and the class grows.
razo125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:18 AM   #25
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Shrouded fan cooling (think Briggs and Stratton). This might have to be gear driven since a tiny fan spinning @ 30,000rpm would probably cost lots of power but this would do away with the need for a cooling head completely.

Lay-down engines are a novel idea but where would they lay down to? The durrent drivetrain layout is in the way and dictates most choices.

The Hyper 9e's layout seems to have nitro possibilities, put the Diff in the back where the spur gear is out of the way and the cars can get lots narrower.

If electrics get to the point where 1/2 hour mains are reliably possible, nitro will be hurting. Not gone but seriously hurting.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:21 AM   #26
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
Some of these have been done and aren't all that expensive but just were not as good. For instance, steel really is the best material for most drive train components. Aluminum gears could actually be cheaper as well as lighter but wouldn't last. Titanium would be more costly but again, wouldn't last. Even F1 uses steel gears and other drivetrain components. Titanium rods have been done but there are problems with them. Ceramic pistons are available for some motors but are illegal for ours.
Titanium will last and is widely used in racing series where it is not illegal,for connecting rods and drive train components.
vivid concepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:25 AM   #27
Tech Champion

Titanium is a poor metal for gears or anything where loaded friction takes place. They wouldn't last and they would perform poorly (lots of drag) while they did.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:29 AM   #28

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

one thing that would be a dream...

"2wd"

R
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:42 AM   #29
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultegrasti View Post
one thing that would be a dream...

"2wd"

R
It's done in Europe, France mostly. I don't know how well they get around. Maybe if there were some development so a 4 stroke could be used it would be more tractable.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:44 AM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by razo125 View Post
1. Low Cost
2. Speed
3. Durability

Thats what everyone wants. But you can only pick two in the real world.

Anything is possible but many of the rules are setup to keep racing affordable. Haha affordable now that's funny. 1/8th nitro is one of the most expensive classes. But I think the intent is to keep things affordable so more people can race and the class grows.
you can get it:

fast and good, but it won't be cheap

cheap and fast, but it wont be good

good and cheap, but it wont be fast

there is gotta be a way to tune an engine more easily, remote tuning sounds like a great idea. A racing engine with one tuning needle, maybe it has 2 injector's on the same needle so it always has perfect balance.

I would love to access my diff without taking the hinge pins out.

+ a billion on the servo wires. I Pack them on the outside of the radio box. There is just to much wire there. Telemetry could be better.

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote