R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-07-2010, 11:03 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Talking What is a good 1/8 buggy racing engine?

Hello im new to the 1/8 buggy racing scene and i was wondering what engine i should buy. i just finished my hot bodies D8 kit now i need a motor. there are so many out there i really dont know which one would be best for competing. i dont plan on going pro or anything i just race in local clubs and such. i was looking to spend anywhere from 250-300 on a motor(maybe a little over 300).i was looking the other day and i seen the team orion engines i liked the price and looks on those are those any good? so, which engines do you guys think are good? im new to the buggy scene but ive had my share of nitro rc's.
twill9109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:13 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to smb17

Plenty of good engines out there. Werks B5 is my favorite so far.

$200 and it's got more power than my v-spec did.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:20 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The ninja is a O.S. based engine but superior to the vspec by a good bit. It last much longer and has crazy power.

But i do plan on getting a werks as well

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:17 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by twill9109 View Post
Hello im new to the 1/8 buggy racing scene and i was wondering what engine i should buy. i just finished my hot bodies D8 kit now i need a motor. there are so many out there i really dont know which one would be best for competing. i dont plan on going pro or anything i just race in local clubs and such. i was looking to spend anywhere from 250-300 on a motor(maybe a little over 300).i was looking the other day and i seen the team orion engines i liked the price and looks on those are those any good? so, which engines do you guys think are good? im new to the buggy scene but ive had my share of nitro rc's.
If I was you I would give Werks Racing Engines a look. The Werks B6 w/ Werks 2057 header and pipe. Super smooth and great power.

Last edited by losiracer78; 01-20-2011 at 01:35 PM.
losiracer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:23 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

IMO you cannot beat the performance and reliability of the jammin JPX21 engine. they are very easy to tune and have plenty of power.
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:31 AM   #6
Tech Regular

EB Mods JS Racing, you can get stock, race prep or, full mod. Top notch engine.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...gine-Race-Prep
Who8mySandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:47 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Alpha Plus engines... for a beginner with a buggy, the F850 at $199 is more than enough power. (I know pros running it.)

Someone mentioned the Novarossi BF21 limited... I run a modded one in my truck. Great quality... not quite enough power for the truck, but for a buggy it should be great... and at $150 or less for a real, honest-to-goodness TOP QUALITY product, that's tough to beat. It isn't the most powerful engine on the market, but as a beginner, less is more... trust me on that.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:28 AM   #8
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I have seen the weeks b5 do very well at the track. The ninja and os vspec might be too much power and hard to control. I started running a buggy in august and I put a speed engine in it. It has taken me a few months to get it under control. I even put a 5.5 restrictor in it to help out. The speed engine has too much power for a buggy, perfect in the truggy though. The nova +4 is a good choice. Idk too much about the Orion engines but if you stick with a good mfg you will be happy.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:54 AM   #9
Tech Adept

Send a message via Yahoo to phoenix357

For a Buggy nova bf21 limited $ 150.00 Sweet motor easy tune and with the right mod lots of grunt. Then take the extra money put a 086 ofna pipe set on it. That leaves more money for new clutch,bell and some other parts for under $300.00 thats just good money spent at the club leavel.

Have a good one
phoenix357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:56 AM   #10
Tech Rookie

Yeah before i even posted this thread thing i was leaning towards getting the Novirossi plus 4. either that or the werks. how hard is the novirossi to tune? it is not a problem for me to tune it, ive tuned many cars before i would just like to know what to expect out of the novirossi
Old 01-08-2010, 07:05 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Quote:
Yeah before i even posted this thread thing i was leaning towards getting the Novirossi plus 4. either that or the werks. how hard is the novirossi to tune? it is not a problem for me to tune it, ive tuned many cars before i would just like to know what to expect out of the novirossi
Novarossi and most others tune differently. The Novarossi carbs have a coarser thread pitch on the needles... so instead of tuning "an hour at a time" you barely turn the needle. Not HARD to tune, just finer increments on the adjustment.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:13 AM   #12
Tech Rookie

domit.. you mentioned along with someone else that the novirossi bf21 with mods is one of the best deals out. could you tell me some good modding websites?
Old 01-08-2010, 07:47 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Quote:
domit.. you mentioned along with someone else that the novirossi bf21 with mods is one of the best deals out. could you tell me some good modding websites?
Look for threads on here from Houston's and EB Mods... also Hotmods... and then there is Clockworks... I only personally have experience with Hotmods, but Monty (Houston's) learned from Jim Hottinger (Hotmods) I think.

Also... for an inexperienced driver... no need to mod it. Run it stock. It's a good little engine.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:54 AM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to boomgagem

So basically there are alot of good engines out there.

I only have experience with these..

RB S5
Novarossi N21R
O.S. .21 VG
O.S. .21 V-Spec

Honestly I haven't had a problem with none of them so far.
boomgagem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:08 AM   #15
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Another vote for the WERKS B5, Super fast and reliable. And only $200 nova 3port is good too but a lot less top end than a B5. Also easy to break i nand tune!.....Take care!
heidmann1 is offline   Reply With Quote