R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-07-2010, 05:00 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default trouble with tuning a toro nero

i'm having trouble tuning my toro nero. this is the first nova motor that i have owned. do novas tune different from other motors? i have heard that most of the tuning is done from the bottom end. i set the carb back to factory setting according to the manuel. as i tune the motor and seems to b fine i get a bog. now alot of the times at this point i haven't gotten to tune the low needle yet. so i richen the top a bit. i low seems to be pretty good without touching it but it gets poor fuel milage. am i doin something wrong?
HELP!!!
Old 01-07-2010, 05:06 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)
Send a message via MSN to tkhoo

Tuning is from top, bottom then idle.
tkhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:41 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsGCO...embedded#t=595
Owner of Midwest Rc Tour
blktransam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:05 AM   #4
Tech Master

i know how to tune a motor. i've tunes many of mine plus some of my friends. its just that this one is giving me trouble.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:53 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

okay I posted a link FROM adam drake on how to tune the plus4,and toro nero...
Owner of Midwest Rc Tour
blktransam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:57 AM   #6
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktransam View Post
okay I posted a link FROM adam drake on how to tune the plus4,and toro nero...
sorry i was responding to the other post. i didn't have a chance to watch the video yet. hopfully it will help me. thanks. if anyone has some advice it will be gladly excepted
Old 01-07-2010, 12:02 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Well you have left alot of critical info out, like pipe, header, clutch springs, clutch shoes, track size etc. To sum up the video, Novarossi 9901 pipe 41021 header, HSN flush, LSN approx 1 turn out from flush.
Big Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:10 PM   #8
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

this video is a little more in depth
http://vimeo.com/7595905
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:40 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pballer2777 View Post
i'm having trouble tuning my toro nero. this is the first nova motor that i have owned. do novas tune different from other motors? i have heard that most of the tuning is done from the bottom end. i set the carb back to factory setting according to the manuel. as i tune the motor and seems to b fine i get a bog. now alot of the times at this point i haven't gotten to tune the low needle yet. so i richen the top a bit. i low seems to be pretty good without touching it but it gets poor fuel milage. am i doin something wrong?
HELP!!!
bog where and when? lean bog or fat bog? smoke? once the motor is over 200c tune the top to be crisp and smoke the whole straight, then set lsn with pinch test, 5 seconds to cut out motor should be a bit rich on the bottom then set idle so rpm's drop after about 10 seconds. nova's usually idle pretty low. if the clutch and plug are good and it still acts funny check the motor or tank for leaks.
AKA, Proline, Hotbodies Rubber
Elite Performance - HORRC.com
j_blaze14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:09 PM   #10
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_blaze14 View Post
bog where and when? lean bog or fat bog? smoke? once the motor is over 200c tune the top to be crisp and smoke the whole straight, then set lsn with pinch test, 5 seconds to cut out motor should be a bit rich on the bottom then set idle so rpm's drop after about 10 seconds. nova's usually idle pretty low. if the clutch and plug are good and it still acts funny check the motor or tank for leaks.
many do not realize that the tank/pipe/fuel delivery system has ALOT to do with the engine running right more than the engine does almost
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:33 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default my 367 was hard to tune

Is that fixed with the toro nero?
Old 01-08-2010, 08:06 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

First set your idle gap to when you look down the carb the opening is about a credit card thickness (app 1mm) when the throttle is closed all the way.
Then warm it up back the high end need le out to 1 turn out(rich) from flush, Tune the high speed needle. Do straightaway runs and turn in the needle in 1 hour or 2 increments until it just starts to clear out and run strong and get that close.
A quick way to tell if you are close on the high needle is when you think you are good. if you turn the needle out(rich) 1/4 turn and it is slow,and doesnt clean out. you know you are just beyond rich and that is a good safe place to start. If you thought yout high needle was right and you richened you high needle 1/4 turn and nothing happens. then you are creeping into being to lean.

After the high needle is set for good performance let it idle. If it wants to die tight away and is smoking a lot, lean it out an hour or two, rev it up and se what it does, repeat this until you get a steady idle, BUy setting the idle gap earlier you should be adjust the low needle until the idle is steady. Once it idles good go drive it fine tune the low needle.

If after you tune the high needle it revs really highwhen you set it to idle richen the needle until it idles steady.

1mm gap on the carb is pretty close on most engines, so by setting that first makes it easier to adjust the low needle because you can listne to how it idles and figure which way to go....................You way not have needed all of this but just trying to help.......Take care!!!

Last edited by heidmann1; 01-08-2010 at 08:07 PM. Reason: spelling
heidmann1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:51 AM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post

many do not realize that the tank/pipe/fuel delivery system has ALOT to do with the engine running right more than the engine does almost
weather too, i think he is in jersey so if its cold out "factory" settings may be too lean.
AKA, Proline, Hotbodies Rubber
Elite Performance - HORRC.com
j_blaze14 is offline   Reply With Quote