R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-07-2010, 02:25 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)
Default lst2 burning plugs

hey guys have an lst2. i think it's tuned right it has a nice stream of smoke all the time if i leave it idol for 10 secs takes off nice doesn't bog down.

The problem is when it runs out of feul seems to burn the plug.

Was waiting for it to run out yesterday just at ldol needed to get going so i just tilted it up on on side to put the tiny amount or remaining feul away from the pick up in tank to make it stall quicker. went to use in now and the plug is gone.

sometimes in the past i have pinched the fuel line to stall it and that a few times has burnt the plug also is that normal

any help would be really great thanks.
gnatsum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:00 AM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default lean

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnatsum69 View Post
hey guys have an lst2. i think it's tuned right it has a nice stream of smoke all the time if i leave it idol for 10 secs takes off nice doesn't bog down.

nice stream of smoke could still mean the engine is lean

it might be your engine is running lean. burning of the fuel with the plug on and then the plug burns off mean its so hot when if revs in the final seconds the plug gets damaged

Was waiting for it to run out yesterday just at ldol needed to get going so i just tilted it up on on side to put the tiny amount or remaining feul away from the pick up in tank to make it stall quicker. went to use in now and the plug is gone.

sometimes in the past i have pinched the fuel line to stall it and that a few times has burnt the plug also is that normal

if the car revs for a few seconds then dies, its ok. it also means the bottom end is good.

if running your car during a jump, it seems to scream like hell, then the top end is too lean.

check temps after running your car atleast 5-10 minutes on the grown

any help would be really great thanks.
gnatsum69;6818508]hey guys have an lst2. i think it's tuned right it has a nice stream of smoke all the time if i leave it idol for 10 secs takes off nice doesn't bog down.

nice stream of smoke could still mean the engine is lean

it might be your engine is running lean. burning of the fuel with the plug on and then the plug burns off mean its so hot when if revs in the final seconds the plug gets damaged

if the car revs for a few seconds then dies, its ok. it also means the bottom end is good.

if running your car during a jump, it seems to scream like hell, then the top end is too lean.

check temps after running your car atleast 5-10 minutes on the grown

any help would be really great thanks.[/QUOTE]
muaythai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:47 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

+1 on the lean. Is it cold out were you are? if it is the cold could make it look like smoke is coming out but it is actully steam like a full size car. If you have a some what warm garadge i would tune it in there and rihen it an hour or two to comensate for the extra cold while going out side. Dont take to long in the garadge or atleast crack the door so you dont stink out your house.
---Xray, RC America, Pro-Line Racing, FX Royal, Hudy, KO Propo, 92zero Designs, Vision Racing Products, RW-Mods, Team Loosenuts, forddesigns.net--- Big Thanks to: Wheel Brokers Track and Shop, Pine City MN~ "Stompy"
rider313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:46 PM   #4
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Is the plug damaged or burnt looking or does it look fine but just doesn't work anymore?
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:37 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider313 View Post
+1 on the lean. Is it cold out were you are? if it is the cold could make it look like smoke is coming out but it is actully steam like a full size car. If you have a some what warm garadge i would tune it in there and rihen it an hour or two to comensate for the extra cold while going out side. Dont take to long in the garadge or atleast crack the door so you dont stink out your house.
Hey there the temp here is about 30c
Old 01-07-2010, 07:41 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
Is the plug damaged or burnt looking or does it look fine but just doesn't work anymore?
Hey there this is a pic of the plug looks okay to me but i am kinda new at nitro.[ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
lst2 burning plugs-000_0390.jpg  
Old 01-07-2010, 07:47 PM   #7
Tech Lord

Quote:
Hey there this is a pic of the plug looks okay to me but i am kinda new at nitro.
Looks a little burnt but not too bad. Try richening it just a tad. If it still does it, try a colder plug. After that, add a head shim or use less nitro. If it still does it, switch plug brands. Several manufacturers have gone to a cheaper element wire that doesn't last worth a damn.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:32 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
Looks a little burnt but not too bad. Try richening it just a tad. If it still does it, try a colder plug. After that, add a head shim or use less nitro. If it still does it, switch plug brands. Several manufacturers have gone to a cheaper element wire that doesn't last worth a damn.
Hey there i'm running %20 nitro and an os #8 does that seem okay. with the head shim is it okay to put 2 of the glow plug gaskets under 1 plug? to do the same thing as the head shim?
Old 01-07-2010, 08:38 PM   #9
Tech Lord

Quote:
Hey there i'm running %20 nitro and an os #8 does that seem okay. with the head shim is it okay to put 2 of the glow plug gaskets under 1 plug? to do the same thing as the head shim?
No, don't use two plug gaskets. Try a different brand of plug, maybe OD's. I have heard rumblings that OS might have joined in on the cheaper element bandwagon.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:56 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

looks like the element is distorted from too lean condition. The wire should be intact and not pushed up or distorted. Richen up the top needle(out) 1/4 turn and see how it runs, it it still screams on the top then it was probrably too lean if it is slow and smokes a lot too rich. Start with the top needle first and re-check your tuning.........
heidmann1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:24 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jbright33

ok im not a big motor gurue but had this problem over the summer and ed from eb mods explained it to me. basicly you prob got your idle to low and you trying to tune the idle with low speed and you prob have it to lean may feel right but its not. also if you run out of full at wide open throttle or close to it it will fry you plug. so my sugestion is check the gap in the carb and set motor back to stock settings.
jbright33 is offline   Reply With Quote