R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-05-2010, 02:35 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default how good do you have to be to enter a race?

I am not really a good driver, but i was thinking of racing anyway. Will i just be a nuisance to other drivers? I guess eventually i will have to take the plunge

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:37 PM   #2
Tech Prophet

dont worry about it just go in the ,sportsman class if your track has it.
go for it then when you, improve go in the pro class.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:39 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
I am not really a good driver, but i was thinking of racing anyway. Will i just be a nuisance to other drivers? I guess eventually i will have to take the plunge
Man we all sucked when we first started and the only way to get better is by practice and making freinds with some of the faster guys will help they can give you some pointers.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:05 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

haha i broke 1/2 a lap into practice on my first race. LOL just go and have fun. most ppl will be more than willing to help you get the kinks worked out.
---Xray, RC America, Pro-Line Racing, FX Royal, Hudy, KO Propo, 92zero Designs, Vision Racing Products, RW-Mods, Team Loosenuts, forddesigns.net--- Big Thanks to: Wheel Brokers Track and Shop, Pine City MN~ "Stompy"
rider313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:06 PM   #5
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

exactly!!

that is why some places offer nitro novice and sportsman class
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:10 PM   #6
Tech Elite

cool. I wont' be modest, i am probably the worst driver on here with over 1000 post. I enjoy all the wrenching and tuning. That's good since i have to do it so much

But i have got really good at tuning my buggy and motor.

Actually when i have to marshall myself i spend about 15 minutes racing and 45 minutes running

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:11 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JoeyTheRocket Send a message via Yahoo to JoeyTheRocket

Quote:
Where are you thinking about racing at?
Old 01-05-2010, 03:14 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

best advice I can give is SLOW is FAST...do not try to drive like the fast guys..speed comes with practice and patience. just drive the track at a speed you can CONTROL and you will get faster and faster everytime on the track.
Owner of Midwest Rc Tour
blktransam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:30 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Dreaux, aren't you from Louisiana??
Old 01-05-2010, 03:32 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
I've never let that bother me!

You have to be good enough to pay your entry fee.

Look at racing as practice with someone else to marshal your car. Try to be smooth, don't worry about being fast. You'll get faster as you learn to control it... and it helps you get decent practice to not have to run after your car all the time.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:03 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I hear this all the time. We have 20 or so potential racers/new hobbiest at our club races. Usually if I see someone new standing on the sidelines I'll go stand by them and strike up a casual RC converstation because the odds are they have a lot of questions. Most of them are really interested in racing or they wouldn't be standing there for hours watching. When I ask them if they want to race they say "no I can't drive and i'll get in the way." I try to inform them just to come out and have fun because the same 3 or 4 people are still going to win the race either way. Right? Right. If you suck driving everyone has to pass you The good drivers will have no trouble getting around you.
Come out and have fun. I do although I average about 4th place I just enjoy driving.

I will have to admit my new mugen6T setup was looking promising toward the end of the season. Hopefully I will improve my standing.
Franchise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:03 PM   #12
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
just come to action hobbies sat.nite enter in sportsman and have a little fun there will be marshalls on track so for 6 min. u won't have to run up and down the drivers stand

Last edited by jmudbug; 01-05-2010 at 04:05 PM. Reason: .........
jmudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:43 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to looper

I think the slogan goes something like "Just Do IT!". even if you wait and practice solo for a long time as soon as you get out there with other cars on the track you will see it is very different. if you paid the fee like everyone else you have every right to be on the track like everyone else.

If someone comes up trying to be all uppity about how bad you drive and how they are so great just mention if they are so good then they should know how to make a pass.

just do it, dont aim to win right off the bat but do aim to have fun.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:21 PM   #14
Tech Adept

you will get out there and realize you are not even close to the worst person out there. you will see people out there that only race and never practice and they wonder why they dont get any better. its good to get out and race every now and then just to get used to the jitters.after you try it you will realize its no big deal.
dandrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:23 PM   #15
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Im gona jump on the bandwagon and say just go for it. I would show up a little early to get a little practice in so that way you can keep it off the lid some. Just remember to take it easy and you will get faster like everyone else the more you drive.
awdcameolsx is offline   Reply With Quote