Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team Durango DNX408 Prototype

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 08:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Honestly to me, there is NO comparison between the two.

The Serpent is truely not engineered...Billy is NOT a engineer, nor are most racers. They do they best they can from Driving experience which is how most RC cars have been developed. The backwards carb and servo heat possible issues show that it was a compromise. Why? To be different? It doesn't give a performance advantage??

The Durango has real educated engineers working and the design shows that, but time will tell once it hits the track. I just can't see it not being a performer and not a shelf queen. Anyone that really review the pics can see every single part has been designed and engineered.

Anyway, it is cool to see new buggies and I think all manufacturers will be forced to step atleast a little now.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

To be fair, we haven't seen the whole Durango buggy yet, there are still a few key components that've been left out. Also, many of the wonderful innovations we have today, from the telephone to striped toothpaste were invented by amateurs totally out of their field of expertise. Just thought I'd mention that
Old 01-23-2010, 11:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

This buggy gets an A+ on looks alone.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Engineers

Can be great, but can make things that don't really work in the real world. On paper, by the numbers doesn't really pan out, esp in rc cars. Now don't get me wrong, the durango looks really nice, but until it spins some laps, it just really pretty, and engineered....
Old 01-24-2010, 03:40 AM
Tech Regular

If it sucks I'll have an excuse, when I raced the MBX5R and 6 I had none
Old 01-24-2010, 08:25 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

To be fair, it has to be assumed that Serpent has at least as much engineering resources, if not more than Durango. Serpent has been competitive in on-road for a decade or more with many generations of chassis in multiple scales, Durango was just Gerd Stenge and his ideas up until a year or two ago. Serpent saying that Billy Easton designed the car should not be taken to mean that Billy Easton designed the car alone. Both have a lot of borrowed design (I see lots of Losi geometry in both). Engineering is not design, it's making design work properly.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
To be fair, it has to be assumed that Serpent has at least as much engineering resources, if not more than Durango. Serpent has been competitive in on-road for a decade or more with many generations of chassis in multiple scales, Durango was just Gerd Stenge and his ideas up until a year or two ago. Serpent saying that Billy Easton designed the car should not be taken to mean that Billy Easton designed the car alone. Both have a lot of borrowed design (I see lots of Losi geometry in both). Engineering is not design, it's making design work properly.
+1
Old 01-24-2010, 11:58 AM
Tech Regular

I agree....I hope I didn't come off like a dick. I didn't not mean to take away from any other cars etc. I love my AE. I only meant, RC car drivers/Pro's know what a good buggy feels like and what they want, but engineers they are not. Maybe we need more racers designing our cars. LOL I don't know, the Durango just looks awesome and has a ton of attention right now.

I just see some really cool design/engineering in this buggy.

Like I said tho, it needs to perform and win races otherwise it is a shelf queen.

Time will tell.

I
Old 01-24-2010, 10:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Serpent USA is local to me and they are great guys but Serpent is not the same with the new Chinese owner. They left a lot of people hanging with they're 10th scale S400. They abandoned the car and stopped making parts very quickly.

I have built 2 serpents, the s400 and the f180. Neither went together without some small issues. Nothing major but not a good as the Xray, Jammin, Kyoshos and even Hotbodies that I have built.

Ive seen the Serpent run and it looked OK. Billy Easton can make anything fast. He recently won one of our state series with an old Thunder Tiger by 6 laps.

Serpent USA is local to me and they are great guys
Old 01-27-2010, 09:50 AM
Tech Regular

So what is the street date this will hit shelves? I am definitely curious to hear if it is as good as the hype. If it is as awesome as some folks seem to think it will be, I will pick one up.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:53 AM
Tech Regular

PS: why can the guy on the Durango blog use a spell checker. anodiZed!!!!
Old 01-27-2010, 10:29 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Grimlock212
PS: why can the guy on the Durango blog use a spell checker. anodiZed!!!!
Why can he? Or can't he?

I am eager to hear and see more of this car. The only thing that would worry me is, i wouldn't ever want to get this car dirty.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:31 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by D1Rk
Why can he? Or can't he?

Good point, but luckily I am not representing a company. I am just a dude behind a computer.

I like how he also used the word "overhand" in the blog. I assume he means "overhang". Where are these being developed? Is English not their main language?
Old 01-27-2010, 10:35 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Grimlock212
Good point, but luckily I am not representing a company. I am just a dude behind a computer.

I like how he also used the word "overhand" in the blog. I assume he means "overhang". Where are these being developed? Is English not their main language?
no, 100% German company, so forgive us European's for misspelling sometimes... we try....but some people are just better with cnc-machines
Old 01-27-2010, 10:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

For the hardcore racer/pro racer, this will be the car to have. With as many adjustments you can make and how fine tuned you can get the car, It will be invalueable and will set a new standard...

Now, for the mainstream, I don't see this car being as big. It is very complicated, Alot of innovative design, but along with that design looks to be extra wrenching time, and more steps to service. Although the car will not wear like other cars, it will be very difficult to work on, pretty much having to dissasemble the whole car to change a servo, ect.

I like the throttle assembly, I've been wanting to see something like that for some time, Easy to adjust the linkage, Hopefully it proves to be a good feature..

Not too crazy about steering servo location or about the hydraulic brakes. Hopefully there will be a standard brake system, The hydraulic brakes seems like overkill, on the up side will take less servo power to operate...

Can't wait to hold one in my hands...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.