Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 03:11 AM
JQ
Tech Master

Captain, I believe they are talking about this:

http://www.neobuggy.net/modules/news...p?storyid=7508
Old 01-13-2010, 04:08 AM
Tech Elite

JQ this isnt your design is it ?Is this your joint venture ?it looks like something you would design something out of this world and different but would work extremely well. .

let us know brother .
Old 01-13-2010, 06:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by captain america
Lack of flexing? Weight? You gathered all that from that one picture??
For what it's worth, the half-assembled car in that pic is probably still a prototype, since there are some discrepancies between it and the CAD renders from a few days ago, namely the fuel tank in the CAD render looks to be dead center, whereas the pic of that proto still has it off to the left (you can tell by looking at the central screw on the upper front plate) and a few other things, like the front upper arms.
No i really can't gather good info from looking at a picture. Like i said from the looks as is, i would give it a A.

But if that is the production model, it has a ton of alloy on it. Alloy does not flex as well in some areas.

It is also a small bit heavier then some composites. Thats all. Looks like a bad ass car, but i wont be driving anything other then mugen for a long time. I am up to my ears in parts for my car.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:11 AM
JQ
Tech Master

Cobra: No its not. Although unfortunately I see some new things on there that I have also, which sucks :-(
Old 01-13-2010, 06:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JQ
Cobra: No its not. Although unfortunately I see some new things on there that I have also, which sucks :-(
were you ever able to partner with anybody to get your design into production?
Old 01-13-2010, 08:28 AM
JQ
Tech Master

Unfortunately no.

Then again it took Gerd 10 years to get this far, I am only in my 4th year now :-D
Old 01-13-2010, 09:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Oh, and just in case some people may not be familiar with Durango or their level of craftsmanship, I would kindly direct you to Oople's review of their 4WD electric car here:

http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/reviewdurangodex410/

The one thing that struck me was how "tank-like" this car is, particularly for an electric car (which are generally a lot flimsier than our nitro buggies.) In fact, it looks to have more in common with nitro 1/8 buggies than 1/10 electrics.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've seen their 1/10th 4wd in action. It is... awesome.

I have to wonder, though. How much does financial backing and a pro team influence the success of a chassis? When you look at the Xray 808 for instance, an amazing platform, high quality, but a somewhat weak pro-team and not nearly as big a company as Losi or AE. Coincidence that their list of podiums at major events is pretty weak?

How does a company like Xray or Durango stand a chance against the superteams out there? The Xray has kind of proven that quality doesn't necessarily win races.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JQ
Unfortunately no.

Then again it took Gerd 10 years to get this far, I am only in my 4th year now :-D
well good luck man!

ps: i always enjoy reading your articles on Neobuggy. thanks!
Old 01-13-2010, 12:36 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Semple
I've seen their 1/10th 4wd in action. It is... awesome.

I have to wonder, though. How much does financial backing and a pro team influence the success of a chassis? When you look at the Xray 808 for instance, an amazing platform, high quality, but a somewhat weak pro-team and not nearly as big a company as Losi or AE. Coincidence that their list of podiums at major events is pretty weak?

How does a company like Xray or Durango stand a chance against the superteams out there? The Xray has kind of proven that quality doesn't necessarily win races.
I'll tell you a little secret: it's 90% the driver, if not more so. I would hazard a guess that the top 7-8 buggies, when set-up optimally, will all perform so closely on the track to each other as to not really be a factor.

There are a handful of championship-caliber drivers out there, and when they win and win regularly because of their talent, it does draw the kind of attention and bragging rights that sells a lot of product. The downside to this is that these drivers, because they are in high demand, command a high price for their services, and depending on the financial backing that one has, it can literally be a choice between investing in the materials and product, or a top-tier driver (XRAY.) On the other hand, there are companies that don't necessarily invest too much in the quality of the product, preferring to out-source to Asia for cheap, but get a top driver to make their product look good, and rely on the latter's results to generate sales (Losi, Hot Bodies, etc.)

In short, Hara, Drake, Truhe, etc. could be wheeling a Hyper 7 and still win. The big difference for me though, because I don't have any financial backing other than my own wallet, is not necessarily how a car behaves on the circuit, but how long the parts last, how readily available they are, the price of spares, how easy it is to maintain, and how much technical support is available for it.

Therefore, as far as I'm concerned, whether a certain car is better or not than another is based more on how it meets my particular (and realistic) needs, and not dependent on how many times it can be made to win in the hands of an elite driver with unlimited financial backing
Old 01-13-2010, 12:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by captain america
I'll tell you a little secret: it's 90% the driver, if not more so. I would hazard a guess that the top 7-8 buggies, when set-up optimally, will all perform so closely on the track to each other as to not really be a factor.

There are a handful of championship-caliber drivers out there, and when they win and win regularly because of their talent, it does draw the kind of attention and bragging rights that sells a lot of product. The downside to this is that these drivers, because they are in high demand, command a high price for their services, and depending on the financial backing that one has, it can literally be a choice between investing in the materials and product, or a top-tier driver (XRAY.) On the other hand, there are companies that don't necessarily invest too much in the quality of the product, preferring to out-source to Asia for cheap, but get a top driver to make their product look good, and rely on the latter's results to generate sales (Losi, Hot Bodies, etc.)

In short, Hara, Drake, Truhe, etc. could be wheeling a Hyper 7 and still win. The big difference for me though, because I don't have any financial backing other than my own wallet, is not necessarily how a car behaves on the circuit, but how long the parts last, how readily available they are, the price of spares, how easy it is to maintain, and how much technical support is available for it.

Therefore, as far as I'm concerned, whether a certain car is better or not than another is based more on how it meets my particular (and realistic) needs, and not dependent on how many times it can be made to win in the hands of an elite driver with unlimited financial backing
Well said.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

that is not quite accurate... if all drivers are on the same level of driving.. the car will pull them through to the top... quality of xray is top notch compared to losi is true... but after losi revolutionized the buggy design it was virtually unbeatable untill manufacturers follow suite...

in F1 last year we saw a less than stella driver take victory only because his car had something that the other manufacturers did not have.. to say drake and they would take a hyper & and win and their level is a statement that i would say is not entirely accurate... just my 2 cents....
Old 01-13-2010, 01:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

After watching Billy Easton put several laps on the fastest drivers in FL a few months ago with a 7 year old Thunder Chicken I'd say Drake, Truhe, Maifield or Cav could EASILY do the same thing.

That AE buggy is far from revolutionary or even top nothch quality and it wins consistently in the right hands.

At there level it's more like 90% driver, 8% setup/car 2% luck

For mortals like the rest of us a good car makes a HUGE difference
Old 01-13-2010, 01:32 PM
Tech Champion

NOT the same old tired theyre all the same, the pros can win with any car BS. Damn I'm tired of that ignorant line popping up constantly here. Sure you have to drive. But If i drive a perfect race, lately I'm not the only one driving well. If the car's off, its off pace, and I don't stand a chance.

Sure the pros can beat us with junk cars. But you can't take away Truhes 8 2.0 and give him a Hyper 7 TQ black RTR and expect him to beat Drake and the rest of the field. Shoot, those guys are so close that a simple change in wind direction can shuffle the whole field. At that level every single bit counts. Driver, car, tires, radio, if any are off by just a hair your dropping from the a to the d main.

Even at the club level I'm racing at lately, a simple minor change in spring or shock oil can cost me 3 positions.

But I do agree, what wins on Sun sells on Mon in this hobby. I believe that buying only whats winning is also an ignorant point of view. It deosn't prove anything more than a fast car and a fast driver won a race. It deosn't mean that car is going to be fast everywhere on every track, or that the winning car will last more than 2 races before falling apart.

Last edited by Zerodefect; 01-13-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:44 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by kgombe
that is not quite accurate... if all drivers are on the same level of driving..
Who said all drivers are on the same level?

the car will pull them through to the top...
What kind of logic are you employing to support that statement?

quality of xray is top notch compared to losi is true... but after losi revolutionized the buggy design it was virtually unbeatable untill manufacturers follow suite...
I wouldn't call Losi's 8ight revolutionary; a revolution is a turn in one's way of thinking; the 8ight was, in my opinion, more evolutionary than revolutionary. Second, was the 8ight really the "unbeatable" car, or was it merely that Losi employed an unbeatable driver?

Remember when the Drake drove for Jammin', and Jammin' looked like the "unbeatable" car? Where are Jammin' now that Drake has gone? Are they still getting the same results?

in F1 last year we saw a less than stella driver take victory only because his car had something that the other manufacturers did not have..
Do you really think that comparing an apple like R/C toy cars to the computer-controlled, multi-million-dollar watermelon of Formula 1 is apt?

to say drake and they would take a hyper & and win and their level is a statement that i would say is not entirely accurate... just my 2 cents....
Perhaps not against other team drivers, but I'd wager heavily that he could lap an entire field of MBX-6s or MP9s driven by club racers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.