R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-04-2010, 05:52 PM   #661
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi guys. may i know where the durango kits are made from??? i've heard that the kits are made in China. is it true?
vr2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:25 AM   #662
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal151 View Post

Based on the fact that you'll never put an end to individuals breaking the kits down and selling the parts for cheap on e-bay, the ban on brick-and-mortar LHS sales makes little sense to me. Unless of course Durango or HRP received a payment from A-Main to guarantee their online monopoly.

I have to be honest, this issue does put a damper on my lust for this buggy.
How about this. If people strip down kits and sell cheap on ebay why doesent a local hobby shop purchase these parts from ebay and re sell the loose parts at the shop for more than what they paid. They would still stock manufactured parts for one price and the stripped parts for another lower price. I wonder if this would help the lhs cash flow.

I for one have bought on ebay and to be honest I just dont have enough time to sit there and play games watching the clock tick. Plus you have to be careful who you buy from. You can get a $10 part for $1 but the seller charges $9 per item won to ship.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:23 AM   #663
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishsoap View Post
How about this. If people strip down kits and sell cheap on ebay why doesent a local hobby shop purchase these parts from ebay and re sell the loose parts at the shop for more than what they paid. They would still stock manufactured parts for one price and the stripped parts for another lower price. I wonder if this would help the lhs cash flow.

I for one have bought on ebay and to be honest I just dont have enough time to sit there and play games watching the clock tick. Plus you have to be careful who you buy from. You can get a $10 part for $1 but the seller charges $9 per item won to ship.
Your crazy, I buy most of my parts on ebay. You know what parts cost and how much you would pay in a LHS or online. You simply set a high limit your willing to pay at your first bid and be done with it. If you win great you got a bargain, if you don't?? Oh well move on to the next auction. No need to ever watch the clock. Or use a Bid Sniper program. Lastly It's YOUR responsibility to read the auction parameters. I buy from a shop in Taiwan and 3 sellers in the US. I've bought complete Xray 808's in parts for less then $275.00 and it took no more then 10 minutes to weed through auctions. I have a buddy who just got a complete new Serpent in parts for less then $250.00

You just have know what your doing. Ebay is the Shizzle
rdeppen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:03 PM   #664
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeppen View Post
Your crazy, I buy most of my parts on ebay. You know what parts cost and how much you would pay in a LHS or online. You simply set a high limit your willing to pay at your first bid and be done with it. If you win great you got a bargain, if you don't?? Oh well move on to the next auction. No need to ever watch the clock. Or use a Bid Sniper program. Lastly It's YOUR responsibility to read the auction parameters. I buy from a shop in Taiwan and 3 sellers in the US. I've bought complete Xray 808's in parts for less then $275.00 and it took no more then 10 minutes to weed through auctions. I have a buddy who just got a complete new Serpent in parts for less then $250.00

You just have know what your doing. Ebay is the Shizzle
So what happens when you break a part and there is no hobby shop to keep you racing because they had to close the doors to ebay.

Race day is over. Soon to follow is the track. So now your a basher cause the track is gone.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:07 PM   #665
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vr2004 View Post
Hi guys. may i know where the durango kits are made from??? i've heard that the kits are made in China. is it true?
Taiwan
Poinas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:18 PM   #666
Tech Master

Quote:
So what happens when you break a part and there is no hobby shop to keep you racing because they had to close the doors to ebay.
-What if there is no physical hobby shop around you at all?

As far as I'm concerned, if a business can't keep its numbers in the black, whether it's online or otherwise, it will fail. That's a free market. Those who are able to improvise adapt and overcome difficulties survive. Despite the alleged "scourge" of e-tailers, there are still local hobby shops around, and this despite the current abysmal economy. Do you think that maybe, just maybe it's possible that people keep shopping there because **ghasp** these businesses provide a valuable product or service?

I mean come on, it's not like we're in 1993 and the "interwebs" is a big secret or anything: the vast majority of people have internet access and can shop online at a whim.. Yet local hobby shops survive! Go figure...

Quote:
Race day is over. Soon to follow is the track. So now your a basher cause the track is gone.
-See above.
captain america is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:41 PM   #667
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The way I see it I could be wrong HRP/Team Durango have made it so the big web chains like A main can not undersell them on kit prices on the Durango my LHS sells the kit and parts at the same price as A main
O'donnell racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:33 PM   #668
Tech Master

I asked my friend who manages the largest hobby shop in south FL about the no Web sales of the car. He said that's BS. All HRP made them do was sign a simple MAP agreement. No orders not to sell it online.
rdeppen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:17 PM   #669
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I can assure you I did not risk losing my HRP account just to start trouble. I was specifically told that on line sales were forbidden. I'm not a person to start romors just for the sake of it, or to see the reaction it gets
Old 08-05-2010, 07:38 PM   #670
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
I can assure you I did not risk losing my HRP account just to start trouble. I was specifically told that on line sales were forbidden. I'm not a person to start romors just for the sake of it, or to see the reaction it gets
I'm sure you are not trying to start rumors you may have been miss informed when you cantacted hrp on the Durango or changes where made after the fact I myself don't know anything about running a hobby shop just what I have seen the Durango kits price online and at Lhs are the same that I have saw compared to brand X on line and the LHS if you can shoot me a pm I do buy from out of town shops from time to time as I'm sure you know a LHS can only aford to stock so much product
O'donnell racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:58 PM   #671
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'donnell racer View Post
I'm sure you are not trying to start rumors you may have been miss informed when you cantacted hrp on the Durango or changes where made after the fact I myself don't know anything about running a hobby shop just what I have seen the Durango kits price online and at Lhs are the same that I have saw compared to brand X on line and the LHS if you can shoot me a pm I do buy from out of town shops from time to time as I'm sure you know a LHS can only aford to stock so much product
Actually HRP called me as soon as the Durango products starting arriving. i am going to call around to other LHS tomorrow and see what they were told about Durango from HRP. I know one shop is carrying it so that's a good start. I will send you PM when Our site opens to the public for shopping. Right now only team members can order online. We are a racers only shop and we specialize in 8 scale off road nitro
Old 08-05-2010, 08:49 PM   #672
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'donnell racer View Post
The way I see it I could be wrong HRP/Team Durango have made it so the big web chains like A main can not undersell them on kit prices on the Durango my LHS sells the kit and parts at the same price as A main
Agreed. We all know Amain is the biggest On-Line RC store around and yes LHS's hate them because they are cheap. They are big because they are serving the needs of their customers who may not have a LHS nearby and you can't fault them for having a good business plan.

Perhaps, some of you might be looking at it in a different light. I know that a LHS here cannot sell it on-line and that is OK if Amain cannot sell it under the MAP. This allows the LHS to carry the product knowing that they will not be undercut by Amain thus giving them equality in pricing. Now it's up to the LHS to support the product and sell itself with face to face service.

I also recall seeing an online store advertising they now are dealers for Durango but when you go to click on the Durango, it says "in store" and you could not choose to buy it.

I could be wrong too but maybe HRP is trying not to hurt the LHS rather help them by allowing them to compete directly with Amain at least on Durango products.

Either case, the 408 will be my next purchase just because it's so blingy.
nta01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:05 PM   #673
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nta01 View Post
Agreed. We all know Amain is the biggest On-Line RC store around and yes LHS's hate them because they are cheap. They are big because they are serving the needs of their customers who may not have a LHS nearby and you can't fault them for having a good business plan.

Perhaps, some of you might be looking at it in a different light. I know that a LHS here cannot sell it on-line and that is OK if Amain cannot sell it under the MAP. This allows the LHS to carry the product knowing that they will not be undercut by Amain thus giving them equality in pricing. Now it's up to the LHS to support the product and sell itself with face to face service.

I also recall seeing an online store advertising they now are dealers for Durango but when you go to click on the Durango, it says "in store" and you could not choose to buy it.

I could be wrong too but maybe HRP is trying not to hurt the LHS rather help them by allowing them to compete directly with Amain at least on Durango products.

Either case, the 408 will be my next purchase just because it's so blingy.
Amain is big for Vegas guys even with 4 hobby stores. The reason, none of the local shops carry mugen, AE, or losi. We can special order from 1, but he charges MSRP, and we still have to pay taxes and wait 2 to 3 days. Not to mention his location sucks. Instead of driving across town twice, paying more then they charge on HH, and have the wait, we would rather save some money and have the item delivered to our door.
Bigedmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:26 PM   #674
Tech Lord

Many people agree with you ED. The point is to us small time guys who struggle to make a profit with a hobby shop, it's very difficult to have our vendors contributing to our demise. They all solicite us every week to buy stuff from them and then turn around and do something like this? Do you consider it good business? A main does $30,000,000 a year in business and getting preffered treament from manufacturers and vendors is part of the reason for it. Why the hell would anyone want to do business with a vendor who is intentionally trying to put them out of business, but In that same breath they call and ask you to buy from them? It has me puzzled to no end!
Old 08-06-2010, 07:31 AM   #675
Tech Elite

I don't know whether to laugh or cry Jaz. But yes, you are 100% correct with your assessment of the distributors and preferential treatment, etc....

I have my own opinions on the topic, but I will stay silent. I do see the industry having a few hard choices to make and they will have to be made at some point.

This industry from a sales perspective I am sure you will find is far more difficult than most people would ever expect.

I have no opinion on Amain since we do not do business with them.

I will however say that the issue with mail order vs the brick and mortar has been around forever. I remember when I was a kid seeing the Tower and Stormer ads for buying mail order and you actually had to call them to place an order.
Semi-Retired from this industry at this time.
hakmazter is offline   Reply With Quote