R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-11-2010, 09:45 AM   #316
Tech Regular

If you do some search you find out that Gerd is not "just" an engineer but also races himself. Again the prototypes are made for what ? Testing and proving the concept which clearly has been done and there has been many TOP drivers using the cars and giving feedback. It really does not differ from any other manufacturer and it's not like the car would have been put up without any real testing or track time behind.

You could even say that hey, there really is completely another world out there behind the borders of great USA.

So it's April release, still 2 months to go
Poinas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:33 PM   #317
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Engineers are why buildings don't fall on our heads (ever considered how much parking garage levels weigh?), our cars don't fly apart at 60mph, and bridges stay up. Without them things would fall apart and nobody would know who to blame, though 1st on the chopping block would likely be the designer.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:51 PM   #318
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

most r/c car company engineers race...like tim roberts for traxxas, billy e for serpent..thats just a few...
~MUGGIFIED Lst-xxl
reggie l. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:13 PM   #319
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie l. View Post
most r/c car company engineers race...like tim roberts for traxxas, billy e for serpent..thats just a few...
Billy E. does not have an enginnering degree nor backround tho. I do think he did a good job with the Serpent tho.
Kalgard Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:03 PM   #320
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

who gives a crap what degree he has???? Ill garuntee you that he knows a hell of a lot more about tuning a car and things that work on an RC car than gerd does. however if it were an elevator competition im sure gerd would win.

the car looks cool but be honest with your self.....its not that "innovative" dam thing has everything in the same spot every other car does

and dont forget that billy has designed the current tire that won the most recent world championships as well.....not bad for a non-engineer

******* DialedSetups.com ****** Check it out!!!!!
punkracer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:18 PM   #321
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to infanterene

Before any more Thunderchicken bashing ensues, remember that the car was reliable, the drivetrain parts are still used in the RC8 (where I haven't heard of any problems) and it did win a National Championship. I never liked the thing but we do have to recognize the achievements.

I haven't read any thunderchicken bashing. I think it's a decent car. In fact Billy Easton put a few laps on the feild in one of our state races not too long ago using one. Actually now that I think about it that car looks better on the track than the serpent did.
infanterene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:21 PM   #322
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 163 (100%+)

thats true, he won by 2 laps with thunder chicken, with the serpent it was around 3 seconds over someone that was racing a car that he had only recieved the day before
cjm1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:38 PM   #323
Tech Addict

Thunder chicken Billy E. always seems to win with whatever wreck he pulls out of his attic. He's a damn good driver(one of the best), and even better designer/(non)engineer.
Team Trinity
Miniracer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:48 PM   #324
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkracer24 View Post
who gives a crap what degree he has???? Ill garuntee you that he knows a hell of a lot more about tuning a car and things that work on an RC car than gerd does.
Based on what ? He's from US ?
Poinas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:24 AM   #325
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

Quote:
who gives a crap what degree he has???? Ill garuntee you that he knows a hell of a lot more about tuning a car and things that work on an RC car than gerd does. however if it were an elevator competition im sure gerd would win.
Based on what facts do you know this to be true???

Quote:
the car looks cool but be honest with your self.....its not that "innovative" dam thing has everything in the same spot every other car does
Actually, that's just flat out wrong. It doesn't have everything in the same place as other cars, and that is why it is unique! It's the most innovative car since the Losi 8ight. New shock placement, new bulkhead style, new electronics placement, and a unique rear wing (plus the most forward wing placement of any 8th buggy yet).

Just adding this as a little tid bit (sorry about side tracking this thread, but it does have to do with the history of Durango.

Here's a quote from a RedRC.net article about the history of Durango (which is quite an interesting article by the way):
"Both, Gerd and his Durango, left a very good impression and because of this he was able to get Billy Easton and Mark Pavidis to test the buggy before the 2001 event. This left Billy and Mark even more impressed and therefore both decided to use the buggy at the 2002 World Championship in South Africa. At the end of the day only Mark made it into the A-final of the most prestigious RC Car event but once more the performance of this unique car was proven in an important race."
http://www.redrc.net/2009/10/the-team-durango-history/

Last edited by WheelNut; 02-12-2010 at 12:42 AM.
WheelNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:09 AM   #326
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Adim_X

!

Mugen MBX7R ECO/Nitro, Hitec, Sanwa, Jconcepts Tires, OS Speed, Bones Fuel, Fantom

Last edited by Adim_X; 02-12-2010 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Mean Spirited
Adim_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:02 AM   #327
Tech Apprentice

threads like this are funny, you can really see who the complete TOOLS on the forum are...
engineer this and engineer that who really cares? look at the car its a thing of beauty, if you dont think it will work then dont buy it
I just picked up a Mugen and I am sure that car sucked before it was released also..
but in all honesty with all the pics of the car and the thought that went into it and the machining time and the testing......do you really think they forgot the gas tank???? unbelievable..... some people I guess hate their cars so much and are probably too broke to buy another one that they insist on bashing another car. yeah I am sure the rear wing hits the tires...because after all once they got the kit built I am almost positive that noone pushed down on the shock tower
some of you should think before you type you only make yourself look dumber than I am sure you are..
Good case in point is the one about the losi truggy body, that thing caught hell when it came out adn now its pretty much the standard..
anyway I guess you get my point.
TheTopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:22 AM   #328
Tech Adept

I'm suprised nobody has mentioned the poor design of the wheel nuts yet?

For such a well thought out design of the rest of the buggy, I can't believe that they haven't seen such an obvious mistake.

I am 100% sure that this mistake will cause the buggy to be undrivable and as such a complete waste of time.

You can have the best design in the world, but if you leave the wheel nuts to be tightened up by the driver or pitman, you can be sure that the wheels will depart company at some point during racing Should have be self tightening IMHO!
Flipfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:00 AM   #329
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to infanterene

Great article Wheelnut!! I think a few people will benefit from the history lesson.
infanterene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:26 AM   #330
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poinas2 View Post
Based on what ? He's from US ?
really??? are you seroius? i dont care if hes from antarctica. If real world experience translates into knowledge... then i think the results speak for themselves and i will let you do the digging on that but ill throw out there since i remember being there. .....Billy has won a World championship as a DRIVER....with everyone there...not 27 entries

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelNut View Post
"Both, Gerd and his Durango, left a very good impression and because of this he was able to get Billy Easton and Mark Pavidis to test the buggy before the 2001 event. This left Billy and Mark even more impressed and therefore both decided to use the buggy at the 2002 World Championship in South Africa. At the end of the day only Mark made it into the A-final of the most prestigious RC Car event but once more the performance of this unique car was proven in an important race."
http://www.redrc.net/2009/10/the-team-durango-history/
I was at the worlds in "03 here in the US where they used those cars. and wheel nut this is certainly said in all respect but do a little more digging while your at it and look at the cars availible to associated drivers at the time...Yokomo(which out at the time their car was considered outdated), durango, schumacher and maybe others but those were the main players. The only TEAM guys using the Durango 4wds at that race were associated drivers because yokomo couldnt produce a car that they thought was competitive enough so what were they going to to do? use a LOSI??.. all that durango was, was a TC3 with Schumacher 4wd parts on it.... one of the guys body was even made out of half of a coca-cola 2 liter bottle for that car.

It doesn matter to me about this car...i still agree IT LOOKS COOL and I like lookin at it no doubt but I personally find ridiculous that people feel the need to flame on people that arent here to defend themselves when they dont even have a clue on what they are talking about...

done

******* DialedSetups.com ****** Check it out!!!!!
punkracer24 is offline   Reply With Quote