R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-10-2010, 07:02 AM   #301
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to infanterene

Gerd has engineered elevators that carry real people. That is pretty serious stuff when you factor in all the consequences and safety issues. His 10th scale has had more than pretty good success too.

I'm asking this not to put anyone down but because I really don't know the answer- what has Billy Easton designed? Did he design the thunderchicken?
infanterene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:30 AM   #302
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jbright33

hmmmm like the idea of new things and i like the design but looks like theres just to much moving parts just alot to go wrong in a race. also looks like it could be a pain to work on. wounder what the weight bias is?
Old 02-10-2010, 07:49 AM   #303
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbright33 View Post
hmmmm like the idea of new things and i like the design but looks like theres just to much moving parts just alot to go wrong in a race. also looks like it could be a pain to work on. wounder what the weight bias is?
what moving part does it have that another buggy doesnt?
TheTopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:51 AM   #304
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by infanterene View Post
what has Billy Easton designed? Did he design the thunderchicken?
I don't think so but I don't know for sure.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:12 AM   #305
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

I think Gerds designs are very solid and the DNX408 looks to be as such.

The fact remains that the majority of the most successful R/C race cars in our history have been designed by racers and not engineers.

However, time will tell as to how good this buggy is in the right hands.

www.trackstarrc.com ~ www.facebook.com/TrackStarRC ~ Home of the 2x's Stock Nationals Champion TS-Gold & TS-Black tire sauce, TS-1+ lubricants, TS-Precision bearings, XRG Xtreme Racing Grease, Scale Auto Engineering, ElevenTech, WRD2, Carbon 12, Stiff Products
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:26 PM   #306
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecrafter View Post

The fact remains that the majority of the most successful R/C race cars in our history have been designed by racers and not engineers.

couldnt be said better...im not saying gerd is a bad engineer...im just saying lets see it on the track before we deem it to be all that is awesome.. and yeah rene im sure he makes the best elevators every...but thats still not a race car is what im trying to say.

if you take a look at SOME of the cars that engineers have been apart of and all the problems that they had when they came out it doesnt really matter who makes it....cough RC8 cough.......how many different part revisions did it take to get that car right??? and it was actual engineers who over saw that car.

******* DialedSetups.com ****** Check it out!!!!!
punkracer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:58 PM   #307
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:

Engineers can be the greatest thing on earth or the bane of your existence (I work with them daily; usually driving me nuts). It sounds like Gerd is a lot closer to the industry than most engineers are to the product they're working on though.

As for the Thunder Tiger comment; Richard Saxton worked closely on the EB4 S3 if that is what you're getting at.
Kyosho RB6 | Viper VTX10r/Reedy Mach 3 9.5 | Hitec 7940
Schumacher SX3 Pro | Viper VTX10r/Reedy Mach 2 8.5 | Hitec 7940

Last edited by madweazl; 02-11-2010 at 05:02 AM.
madweazl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:17 PM   #308
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default message

no billy did not design the thunderchicken
Old 02-11-2010, 03:35 AM   #309
XRC
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Any news on a US distributor?
XRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:58 AM   #310
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Adim_X

You guys are funny, you act like engineers are these magical inventors who don't understand the real world(rc world) haha whatever that is. We just cast spells down to the factory floor to confuse all our minions. We don't know how anything really works. Not like we spend thousands of hours running computer simulations, creating prototypes and doing field testing. Nope we just design, throw it out there and say it is perfect, buy our crap. BTW I am an engineer, little touchy today You don't think any true engineers helped out ole Billy. I highly doubt he designed all the molds and every aspect of that car, building a car or anything is a collaboration, sometimes ideas and materials work, sometimes they fail.

Mugen MBX7R ECO/Nitro, Hitec, Sanwa, Jconcepts Tires, OS Speed, Bones Fuel, Fantom
Adim_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:55 AM   #311
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adim_X View Post
You guys are funny, you act like engineers are these magical inventors who don't understand the real world(rc world) haha whatever that is. We just cast spells down to the factory floor to confuse all our minions. We don't know how anything really works. Not like we spend thousands of hours running computer simulations, creating prototypes and doing field testing. Nope we just design, throw it out there and say it is perfect, buy our crap. BTW I am an engineer, little touchy today You don't think any true engineers helped out ole Billy. I highly doubt he designed all the molds and every aspect of that car, building a car or anything is a collaboration, sometimes ideas and materials work, sometimes they fail.
Well said....that is what I was trying to say. Some think you just engineer the coolest looking part with no thought on how it will work. LOL I just see a good engineering dept. over a RC Racer with NO engineering and design experience as limited. With computers, 3D modeling and simulations being the real way to design a car. Never thought Tony Stuart or Dale Jr. would take the place of all of Roush's 30 man design dept.

If that is the case, race teams piss alot of money away on engineers. LOL
Kalgard Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:30 AM   #312
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I agree but a good engineer is going to need input from a good racer to get a car right. For example:

An engineer with no RC experience but knowledge of full size racing is going to try and make the chassis structure as stiff as possible. Torsional rigidity is a MUST for a fast full size car. We all know that doesn't usually work so well on an RC car. There are plenty of other examples where the unique requirements of our sport run contrary to standard engineering and racing theory. This is why so many of the best RC cars are designed by first class racers that have also obtained engineering degrees. You need both.

That being said, Durango has racing experience and a proven track record for excellent design and performance. Don't forget, they are World Champs. I am sure this car will be a good one.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:53 AM   #313
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Important distinction made earlier:

Design and engineering are not the same thing. Billy Designs, engineers make the designs work. Gerd's engineering experience is no doubt important to his designs but it's the ideas and design that make the car unique and special, the engineering is what make them function.

Before any more Thunderchicken bashing ensues, remember that the car was reliable, the drivetrain parts are still used in the RC8 (where I haven't heard of any problems) and it did win a National Championship. I never liked the thing but we do have to recognize the achievements.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:26 AM   #314
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

I mean no disrespect to engineers. Hell, my wife is an engineer. But a degree in mechanical engineering doesn't afford you the knowledge of how a race car works. Or if something doesn't work how to fix it. Again, Sorry. I'm just pointing out facts.

Back before computers, engineers were just known as people who could draw an accurately straight line. (Kidding of course)

To an engineer the glass isn't half empty, nor half full. The vessel is simply to big for the application.

www.trackstarrc.com ~ www.facebook.com/TrackStarRC ~ Home of the 2x's Stock Nationals Champion TS-Gold & TS-Black tire sauce, TS-1+ lubricants, TS-Precision bearings, XRG Xtreme Racing Grease, Scale Auto Engineering, ElevenTech, WRD2, Carbon 12, Stiff Products
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:46 AM   #315
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
To an engineer the glass isn't half empty, nor half full. The vessel is simply to big for the application.
thats classic