Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-06-2010, 11:53 AM   #91
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jpalessi Send a message via Skype™ to jpalessi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werks View Post
or secondly having to resort to having it made in Asia where I do not believe they are up to the same level of consistency or manufacturing precision as some of the more reputable Italian manufacturers are.
RESORT! I beg to differ... I've seen some poor QC come from many Italian manufactures. I think the Asian factory's will be taking over with todays economy.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:54 AM   #92
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan D. View Post
Go to the thread and read for your self. Not one bad things that I can see from reading. Plus the motors just rip. The only engines I have mind for this season is the Werks B5 or the Alpha line. I know the Alpha line is good, really good. Honestly I hope that one day we all realize that the majority of things in this industry is over priced and we begin to show it by purchasing lower priced items (like the Alpha motors) and slap the industry in the face and bring it to reality. $500+ for motors is just ridicules when you can do the same with $200. I applaud (and very loudly may I add) to the men responsible for the newer lower priced high performance motors on the market today.

Edit- here is the link to the Alpha motors thread
+ 1

I don't really want to get involved in the whole my engine is better than yours debate as I feel that this question is best answered by the feedback from actual users and results that an engine garners in the hands of drivers. Not by the person representing/importing/manufacturing the engine saying that their stuff is the best performing, lasting, tuning most HP making thing ever made which I have always found questionable to say the least. However I do want to clarify something that I think can easily be misconstrued in your post.

All Werks engines including the B5 engine are made in Italy. We do not manufacture any engines in Taiwan or Asia. Our engines are made at the Lavorazioni Meccaniche S.r.l. factory which is the same company that manufactures engines for a few other companies/brands including Sirio. They are one of the newest, major player in the Italian engine market and as such poses the most modern/high tech manufacturing equipment out of any of them in Italy. I've been there and I've either dealt with or been to most of the Italian motor manufacturers factories in the past so i have first hand knowledge of what I'm saying and this is quite simply the truth.

Our Werks B5 engine is an economical engine because I decided to sell it at an economical price point, that is it. I did this to prove that for one an affordable true racing engine can be made and sold without having to resort to skimping on quality or secondly having to resort to having it made in Asia where I do not believe they are up to the same level of consistency or manufacturing precision as some of the more reputable Italian manufacturers are.

Again, just wanted to clarify things. Now as far as what is the best performing engine available? The answer is simply the one that suits your own individual driving style best. Something that only you can decide...

Regards,

Ron Hopkins
Werks Racing
+1 on this information. BTW I used to run a Werks B7 Pro and that engine was freakin' awesome! (That does not, however, mean I think that just because a product is made in Asia that it is inferior just because of the point of origin...)
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:58 AM   #93
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
Orion Alpha is NOT THE SAME as Alpha Plus. Orion is the manufacturer (sort of anyway) of the Orion Alpha... Alpha is the manufacturer of the Alpha Plus line of engines. The Orion engines I believe are NOVA BASED, and those are the ones that you're referring to with problems. Alpha engines are a complete "clean sheet" design from a completely different company.

I don't sell anything, and I'm not sponsored by anyone!

I happen to know several folks running the Alpha engines (NOT the Orion Alpha!) and the results have been very, VERY good so far. Easy to tune, great durability, great fuel mileage, and awesome power. BTW if you run at Indy (and I believe you do, right? At least sometimes...) you also know several folks running them, even if you didn't know it.

When I said "I have one on order" I mean I pre-paid for one from my local hobby shop (Indy) for my personal use. In fact it should be here today, but I probably won't pick it up until next week... I did not mean that I will have one to sell.
Orion Alpha engines are sirio based and are made in Italy
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:04 PM   #94
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
Orion Alpha engines are sirio based and are made in Italy
My apologies... Sirio based not Nova based.

(But they're made in Italy and these are the ones that folks are referring to problems with... not the Taiwanese made Alpha engines)
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:26 PM   #95
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
My apologies... Sirio based not Nova based.

(But they're made in Italy and these are the ones that folks are referring to problems with... not the Taiwanese made Alpha engines)
problems? what problems ?

just curious , every orion alpha abi plus engine i have seen run has been great , especially for a 3 port design
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM

Last edited by houston; 01-06-2010 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:49 PM   #96
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
problems? what problems ?

just curious , every orion alpha abi plus engine i have seen run has been great , especially for a 3 port design
You'd have to ask them... I don't know what they mean either...
Old 01-06-2010, 01:56 PM   #97
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalessi View Post
RESORT! I beg to differ... I've seen some poor QC come from many Italian manufactures. I think the Asian factory's will be taking over with todays economy.
As I mentioned I had an existing relationship with an Italian engine manufacturer who I wish to continue working with to develop my engines. So I chose to continue to work with them on the B5 project rather than resorting to switching to an Asian manufacturer which would have been the easiest solution to realize a low cost project with.

Your completely entitled to your own oppinion on where you think the best products are made at and everything else. However when you own a company, have a hughe amount of your own money invested in the company and the reputation of it and care highly about the stuff that you make you have a tendency to look at things from a slightly different light. Go with a proven company that you have an established relationship with and that you know has the ability and equipment necessary to make some of the best products possible but might cost a little bit more. Or go with some one that you do not know or has possibly been know in the past to make inferior products and roll the dice and hope that it will be different when you work with them. You commit to spending several $100k and choose which is the right decision for you. You allready know what I felt was the right one.

Regards,

Ron
Werks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:31 PM   #98
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jpalessi Send a message via Skype™ to jpalessi

Quote:
As I mentioned I had an existing relationship with an Italian engine manufacturer who I wish to continue working with to develop my engines. So I chose to continue to work with them on the B5 project rather than resorting to switching to an Asian manufacturer which would have been the easiest solution to realize a low cost project with.

Your completely entitled to your own oppinion on where you think the best products are made at and everything else. However when you own a company, have a hughe amount of your own money invested in the company and the reputation of it and care highly about the stuff that you make you have a tendency to look at things from a slightly different light. Go with a proven company that you have an established relationship with and that you know has the ability and equipment necessary to make some of the best products possible but might cost a little bit more. Or go with some one that you do not know or has possibly been know in the past to make inferior products and roll the dice and hope that it will be different when you work with them. You commit to spending several $100k and choose which is the right decision for you. You allready know what I felt was the right one.

Regards,

Ron
Ron,
I totally understand your point of view and your decision to stick with what your doing. I respect that! All im sayin is, dont sleep on the JS factory.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:04 PM   #99
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

You wouldn't be Ron Paris would you?

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:15 PM   #100
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
You wouldn't be Ron Paris would you?
Ron Paris has passed on years back , god bless that big guy

that guy was super cool man

i wish i could sell novarossi engines at 200$ but i would be losing money .

Last edited by houston; 01-07-2010 at 02:13 AM.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:49 PM   #101
Tech Master

Ron, it is you who I applaud the most. Selling an Italian motor at $200 is fantastic.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:11 AM   #102
Tech Addict

Default wise words

Quote:

Regards,

Ron

very very true. as a chinese living in england, i completely agree. only thing is that if u do know the quality from china, then it can be brilliant.

just run down the mill to keep cost down has disastrous effects as we all know. I think china has learnt from this.

many chinese are now manufacturing from china/ taiwan and making sure quality is there and then marketing it themselves. for example the go and alpha engines.
muaythai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:05 PM   #103
Tech Fanatic

go with the alpha. i get esialy 11 mins in my truggy with an 8mm restrictor!!

looking for a place to get one?
trackstarrc.com (southern california)

TLR Team Losi Racing / Novarossi / Nitrotane / Spectrum
trackstarlosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:08 PM   #104
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecrafter View Post
Please come out to So Cal so we can see them in action.

Alpha's are not the most powerful just the easiest tuning, longest lasting, best mileage engines for the money.
+10 to your post jimmy. undoubtfully the best all around

TLR Team Losi Racing / Novarossi / Nitrotane / Spectrum
trackstarlosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:29 PM   #105
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default ehmmm

Novarossi makes the best engines, even for the money, 150 250, 300 bucks. All bases covered....