R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-04-2010, 05:03 PM   #31
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecrafter View Post
Don, Was I the other??? or do I make three
You make at least three. I wasn't sure you did or not pit. Burling was the other.
--- Special thanks to: Dyno, Adam, Todd, and Kevin. Horizon Hobby
cornerspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:28 PM   #32
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinu View Post
have you drivin a ninja matched with a ninja pipe?

it didnt feel really hard hitting to me... it dose have a very good bottom though

i was racing it indoor with a losi 2.0 (not my truck my budies)
and the engine felt great. not over powering or hard hitting at all.

hard hitting
get a jammin motor those things have wheelie poping bottom end

yes marcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed View Post
Can you get 20+ gallons out of a $300 dollar engine? I can with my Speeds, so $450 I will gladly pay. I can find them for $350 to $400 at times.
yes i can. you can get 20+ out of ANY engine if you take care of it and break it in good

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:36 PM   #33
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecrafter View Post
You are of course talking about after GRP ran out of money that the Pros found their next sugar daddy? J/K....... kinda.
that is a low one there jimmy

novarossi = quality !!! bottom line

p5 is the most user friendly engine ever designed/made
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:13 PM   #34
Tech Apprentice

There are a lot of good engines on the market today, and I won't tout one over the other. We get 12-15 gallons on all our motors, because we have to ($$$) Just my experience:

1. If you tear your motor down and clean it often (every gallon or so, if you have the patience and time)
2. If you replace the bearings with ceramics (TKO is my choice) after about 4 or 5 gallons
3. If you replace the conrod every 5 gallons or so ...

... then you should get well over 10 gallons on any of the good motors out there. We are currently running two EB Mods Ninja motors (one in buggy, one in truggy), and have 13 gallons on one, 14 on the other. At about 8 gallons or so, one of them was very hard to tune, and we discovered the o-rings were shot ... replaced all o-rings in both motors, and boy did they both come to life, and were much easier to tune. We will probably replace the conrods in both, one more time, and try to get another 3 - 5 gallons out of them.

I am hearing very good things about the new Alpha engines, so I would be curious if a $250 motor would have the longevity of the EB Mod Ninjas (about $425), given the above maintenance schedule ... If we only had $250 of discretionary income! Gotta keep those Ninjas running!
glolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:19 PM   #35
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by glolar View Post
There are a lot of good engines on the market today, and I won't tout one over the other. We get 12-15 gallons on all our motors, because we have to ($$$) Just my experience:

1. If you tear your motor down and clean it often (every gallon or so, if you have the patience and time)
2. If you replace the bearings with ceramics (TKO is my choice) after about 4 or 5 gallons
3. If you replace the conrod every 5 gallons or so ...

... then you should get well over 10 gallons on any of the good motors out there. We are currently running two EB Mods Ninja motors (one in buggy, one in truggy), and have 13 gallons on one, 14 on the other. At about 8 gallons or so, one of them was very hard to tune, and we discovered the o-rings were shot ... replaced all o-rings in both motors, and boy did they both come to life, and were much easier to tune. We will probably replace the conrods in both, one more time, and try to get another 3 - 5 gallons out of them.

I am hearing very good things about the new Alpha engines, so I would be curious if a $250 motor would have the longevity of the EB Mod Ninjas (about $425), given the above maintenance schedule ... If we only had $250 of discretionary income! Gotta keep those Ninjas running!
+1 if you have the time and patience
arm2storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:24 PM   #36
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm2storm View Post
Well, I have to make the time and have the patience, 'cause I don't have the $$$ to burn on a new engine every 5 gallons
glolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:38 PM   #37
Tech Master

delete
Old 01-04-2010, 10:48 PM   #38
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Quote:
and know how
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:17 AM   #39
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
and know how
The know how is the easy part......the time is what most of us don't have.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:25 AM   #40
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default ENGINE

Quote:
The know how is the easy part......the time is what most of us don't have.
Time from work and family is crittical !!!
tristyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:11 AM   #41
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

My fav engine is the os speed. It is smooth, easy to drive, fast as hell, great on gas, huge huge bling factor, and super easy to tune. I have been running them since April 09 when I was on a search for the ultimate engine. I have one that has 8 gallons on it and still pulls hard. All I did tothat one is change the bearings at around 5 gallons and I think that's only because I ran it lean on a couple different occasions. 300 degrees for 2 - 30 min mains. One was a tunning issue and the other a shock failure so I drug around the chassis for 12-15 mins and heated up the engine. The engine rarely flames out and te power will rival most .28's (let me be clear it comes close it will never beat the displacement of a .28) they are $$$ but worth their weight in gold as fat as iam concerned. I had a fellow racer come to my pit after a main telling me man your truggy is fast, what you got in that thing. I never said a word he got close enouf to see the speed engine and said "ohh that explains everything" you may come close with other engines that cost less but this thread is not about $$ it's about the best alla round performance engine. The speed will always win. I am gong to az in feb for the anual dirt race and I like the speed engines soo much I just broke in 2 more for that event.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:40 AM   #42
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Guys,

Dont be afraid to give the smaller companies a shot. Yes the Nova and OS lines are the blue bloods of engines and are always top quality. But remeber that a 300+ engine is not right for everyone. Esp. if you are new. Dont break in your tuning ablilities on a $400 engine.

Give the companies like Alpha a try. I have been watching them run in Europe for some time and everyone is getting good results and I see them making 10+ minute runs every weekend

Also another company to throw into the Mix is Picco!!! And the new EVO 4 is amazing!

See you at the track.
janderson78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:18 AM   #43
Tech Elite

Default Metalurgy..Chemistry..Precision..Patience..Passion

Italians and Japanese know their metals.. then the fuel..the engineering precision..the servicing and time...the reliability.. power band and traction... bearings...track and gearing.. altitude and shims.. pipe and length... and your personal preference.

If you consider all the above, there are many good engines that fit the bill.

RB, NovaRossi, GRP/Ninja, OS, Max Power, Sirio, JP... all good.
blis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:36 AM   #44
JUD
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

RB Killer9--Werks B5--Alpha 850--Ofna Force JL--JS racing EB mods--Ninja--Novarossi ToroNero

Take your pick!!! Or buy two of the ones you like and test for yourself!! Which ever you get, take care of it and it will last
Old 01-05-2010, 10:23 AM   #45
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

IMO the jammin jpx21 is the best bang for your buck. also an engine that has been mentioned is STS, i had and STS d21t that i bought used and i was very pleased with it but parts are hard to find. however i think any engine will last as long as you take care of it. i also bought an GRP engine used that had 6-8 gallons already on it and i ran it for another 8+ gallons and it still run but the rod got alot of play on it and after GRP shut down i didnt see the point in fixing.
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote