R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-08-2010, 01:11 PM   #136
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wood 46 View Post
Who would have thought that a $300.00 buggy would beat all the $800.00 buggies at the worlds? I guess driving and set up does play a little bit of a part in racing huh I, for one, will stick with the cheaper engines like the B5 and P5 that I know will still handle their own against the $500.00 engines.
Wow. Your first ever post on RC Tech and you speak truth. That's a rarity these days
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:27 PM   #137
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default merdith

Quote:
Originally Posted by merdith6 View Post
Ok I may not win every race, but I have been winning races since the late 80's. I had a nitro 1/8th scale before they really caught on around 1990, and my main asset in racing is my ability to communicate with other racers, and help those who need it. I just graduated college and haven't had the time or resources to attend the Texas state series races in the last 4 years, but in the last 2 years I've made a real effort to get back into racing, and hopefully will have a cool job in Psychology and have weekends off for a change being a professional counselor. That's what I'm hoping for. I will try to make the San Antonio race, it's one of my favorite tracks. And I raced at N control for a few years when I lived there, Love the people there and the track. I've only been to Garland once and it was a tough track, but fun. I just hate driving so far to race. Currently I live near the Brazoria river track and it's loads of fun, real dirt track with one of the biggest jumps I've ever seen. If you ever feel like coming down we race on friday nights....
Congrats on your degree, yeah....San Antonio has a great track I really like it. Hopefully you get to go to some of these races. I'm planning on going to atleast 4. I hate the drive also but once your there it is well worth it.

Get me an address or name to your alls track, maybe i can get some other guys to tag along.
arm2storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:28 PM   #138
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

+1 I agree with you there nova and WERKS for price quality and reliability.
heidmann1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:34 PM   #139
Tech Lord

Ok, here goes nothing.

I have been avoiding threads like these because it's always the same crap. Whatever motor someone is running is the best motor on the planet, unless they are having problems with it, then it's junk. Often neither of these are true. So the following is just my own personal opinion based on 25 years of RC racing, the last 10 of which have been mainly nitro. If you disagree, fine. Your experiences will be different from mine so go with what works for you.

Novarossi: Whether an actual NR or a rebranded motor like RB, these are the highest quality, most reliable motors you can get. Don't believe me? Ask any 1/8th onroad racer where Nova motors dominate not only for their performance but for their trouble free, reliable, easy to tune nature. Sure they have made the occasional dud, everyone does but your chances of getting a good one are much higher. Strongest rods in the business, PERIOD.

Star/Sirio: I have a hard time recommending these because I have had issues with them. That being said, the quality of manufacturing and performance were second to none. I just feel there are one or two areas they need to work on to truly match Nova. Being a much younger company than Nova, it would not surprise me if they get there.

Picco: I have weird feelings about Picco motors. I love the way they run. I love their generally lower price. The problem is that quality seems to vary with every new motor they come out with. When Picco gets a design right, they are as good as they come. Then they make a bunch of changes for the next motor and you get lousy carbs or thrown rods or broken sleeves. Despite this, I'm always willing to give a Picco motor a try. When they are right, they can really bring a smile to my face.

OS: I feel much the same way about OS motors as I do Piccos. The things just run the way I like a motor to run. They are the only manufacturer that can match Nova (and maybe even beat them) in the carb department. The only knock is longevity. Rods, piston/sleeve, bearings and sometimes even cases just don't hold up as well as some others. They aren't terrible in those areas and in fact are much better than some but not as good as they could be.

All others: Some are absolute garbage (one brand with three initials as a name comes to mind) some are actually pretty darn good motors. I leave it to you to decide which is which since I'm not running them until someone beats me with them on a regular basis. Then I might give one a shot.

Note about all others, I'm not talking about motors like Werks or Orion or whatever here since those are all made by one of the manufacturers listed above. I'm talking about the actual manufacturer.

Last edited by wingracer; 01-08-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:42 PM   #140
Tech Adept

Default Best all-around motor

O.S. 21 VZ-B V-spec....all day long for the buck
AKA Tires
ABSOLUTEHOBBYZ
Talon8T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:05 PM   #141
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
Ok, here goes nothing.

I have been avoiding threads like these because it's always the same crap. Whatever motor someone is running is the best motor on the planet, unless they are having problems with it, then it's junk. Often neither of these are true. So the following is just my own personal opinion based on 25 years of RC racing, the last 10 of which have been mainly nitro. If you disagree, fine. Your experiences will be different from mine so go with what works for you.

Novarossi: Whether an actual NR or a rebranded motor like RB, these are the highest quality, most reliable motors you can get. Don't believe me? Ask any 1/8th onroad racer where Nova motors dominate not only for their performance but for their trouble free, reliable, easy to tune nature. Sure they have made the occasional dud, everyone does but your chances of getting a good one are much higher. Strongest rods in the business, PERIOD.

Star/Sirio: I have a hard time recommending these because I have had issues with them. That being said, the quality of manufacturing and performance were second to none. I just feel there are one or two areas they need to work on to truly match Nova. Being a much younger company than Nova, it would not surprise me if they get there.

Picco: I have weird feelings about Picco motors. I love the way they run. I love their generally lower price. The problem is that quality seems to vary with every new motor they come out with. When Picco gets a design right, they are as good as they come. Then they make a bunch of changes for the next motor and you get lousy carbs or thrown rods or broken sleeves. Despite this, I'm always willing to give a Picco motor a try. When they are right, they can really bring a smile to my face.

OS: I feel much the same way about OS motors as I do Piccos. The things just run the way I like a motor to run. They are the only manufacturer that can match Nova (and maybe even beat them) in the carb department. The only knock is longevity. Rods, piston/sleeve, bearings and sometimes even cases just don't hold up as well as some others. They aren't terrible in those areas and in fact are much better than some but not as good as they could be.

All others: Some are absolute garbage (one brand with three initials as a name comes to mind) some are actually pretty darn good motors. I leave it to you to decide which is which since I'm not running them until someone beats me with them on a regular basis. Then I might give one a shot.
This man speaks the truth. (CHURCH)
BeefHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:12 PM   #142
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
Bad example. I'd take an NSX over MOST Ferraris.

but the man/woman who wants a ferrari will not settle for a nsx Brad

its a status thing
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:15 PM   #143
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayA View Post
In selecting anyone specific engine manufactured engine/engine model, with any one of the many here mentioned choices (so many in the $200 range , plus or minus a few rubbles) first consideration should be REPLACEMENT PARTS AVAILABILITY. No one will disagree that that these little 2 cycle engines are very HIGH MAINTENANCE, that which we run in non perfect environment / condition, with a small percentage exceeding that 5 or 6 gallon longevity mark without requiring "A" replacement part/repair, some sort. We all know the ole saying "Shit Happens" Everyone of us have lost an airfilter durring a race..... no need to say no more. Good luck with your engine choice!

RayAracing
there are two different beliefs on engine maintenance even between some of the engine builders .

one is that they are disposable and once you put them in the car , run it till it blows or gives ya fits

one is that an engine requires maintenance to be top notch and reliable

the latter of the two is my belief
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
Old 01-08-2010, 03:18 PM   #144
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wood 46 View Post
Who would have thought that a $300.00 buggy would beat all the $800.00 buggies at the worlds? I guess driving and set up does play a little bit of a part in racing huh I, for one, will stick with the cheaper engines like the B5 and P5 that I know will still handle their own against the $500.00 engines.
500$ for an engine??? who would spend that much on an engine

i think .......................... nevermind
Old 01-08-2010, 04:58 PM   #145
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
500$ for an engine??? who would spend that much on an engine

i think .......................... nevermind
Hah, I'm mainly an onroad racer so that would be a cheap motor.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:11 PM   #146
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Quote:
Wow. Your first ever post on RC Tech and you speak truth. That's a rarity these days

Don't be fooled, I have seen guys with 10 posts as smart as a whip and I have seen guys with 10,000 posts that still couldn't tie their own shoes. Just because you can punch a keyboard doesn't mean you know what you are talking about. Too many people stereotype and think guys with no or low post count don't have the right to voice their's and I think that is wrong. I got flacked at every site I have been on because people thought that because I just joined their forum that I didn't know anything.
PowerHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:18 PM   #147
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerHouse View Post
Don't be fooled, I have seen guys with 10 posts as smart as a whip and I have seen guys with 10,000 posts that still couldn't tie their own shoes. Just because you can punch a keyboard doesn't mean you know what you are talking about. Too many people stereotype and think guys with no or low post count don't have the right to voice their's and I think that is wrong. I got flacked at every site I have been on because people thought that because I just joined their forum that I didn't know anything.
Oh don't get me wrong, I agree completely. I was just taking a sarcastic approach to giving him praise and support.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:20 PM   #148
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Hah, I'm mainly an onroad racer so that would be a cheap motor.
just razzin ya wing
Old 01-08-2010, 05:21 PM   #149
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerHouse View Post
wisely spoken mr.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:21 PM   #150
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
there are two different beliefs on engine maintenance even between some of the engine builders .

one is that they are disposable and once you put them in the car , run it till it blows or gives ya fits

one is that an engine requires maintenance to be top notch and reliable

the latter of the two is my belief
I agree Monty, most engines are throw aways as replacement parts cost as much or more to rebuild than to replace. On my personal engines, I do my very best to constantly maintain them and by maintaining I mean preheating them, keeping them tuned properly, going through them before each race and making sure everything on the inside and out looks acceptable for operation and if I need a bearing, rod or something fairly inexpensive, I go ahead and replace the part. If it gets to the point that it needs a pinch, i send it to RayAracing for a sizing and recondition but when it comes to the point of needing a P/S/R, I just junk it and move on because chances are the crank pin is nearing it's service limit if it hasn't exceeded it already and when you talk about replacing the P/S/R and crank, chances are you just paid for a new engine and you still have used bearings, carb etc that you have to wonder about.
PowerHouse is offline   Reply With Quote