Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
How to learn how to be good at tuning a nitro truck? >

How to learn how to be good at tuning a nitro truck?

How to learn how to be good at tuning a nitro truck?

Old 01-03-2010, 07:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default How to learn how to be good at tuning a nitro truck?

I have had my Nitro Rustler since april of 2009 and I still cant learn how to tune. I would like to go down to the race track and race but I dont know how to tune. I got books and dvd's but how can I get the hang of it?

Thanks
Old 01-03-2010, 08:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nitro F150
I have had my Nitro Rustler since april of 2009 and I still cant learn how to tune. I would like to go down to the race track and race but I dont know how to tune. I got books and dvd's but how can I get the hang of it?

Thanks
ah ha.. this is a tough one. All I can say is be patient! Tuning nitro seems to be an art form. I am not an expert, but have learned a TON by trying to understand these engines, and by playing with them. There are plenty of basic videos out there. Many on YouTube. The best advice would be to ASK for help from some of the experts in you area. If you have a local track, hang out and watch some of the fast guys tune. Ask them what they are listening/feeling for.

It takes time to get the hang of it, and to feel/hear what your engine is telling you. There is no easy lesson that will make you an expert.

Don't give up!
Old 01-03-2010, 08:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

take what you have learned from your instructional material and apply it as often as possible. all the books in the world will not help you unless you get hands on experience and, in this case, it will take a lot of practice to consistently get a good tune out of your engine. now, if you have air leaks, bad plugs, or old fuel the best tuning skills in the world will not help. i would run a search on this forum for those terms and see what you find
Old 01-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

This may sound wierd, but once you feel like you have a good tune, and have been drving the car for a little while......mess it up. Yep, change all of the needle settings (don't count how many turns the needle is moved), take it back to factory specs, whatever, just change it and try to dial it back in again.

If you're constantly practicing how to dial in a good tune, you'll start to get better at it. Of course, there will be some times when you just want to tune it in, and have some fun. Make sure you still do this too....it's supposed to be a fun hobby, right?
Old 01-03-2010, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

2.5r hsn 3.75 out
lsn 1.5 out
gap ~1mm

3.3 hsn 4.0 out
lsn 1.5 out
gap ~1mm

This will put you within 3 hours in either direction on the hsn and within 2 hours on the lsn

With the rusty you arent really tuning for best performance just for the best running. either engine is overkill on power for the truck

oh forgot to add, if you are running the pro15 (this defys logic) they like it hot,, i am meaning 290 plus. it is completely crazy the temp range they like. I remember back in the day a traxxxas guy was helping me tune one, got it running good, came in to temp and he said "perfect!" so i asked what temp and he said 310. ran like a top at that temp for a good long time too. yeah it was hard to wrap my head around it too.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

this helped me out alot when i got started. It will basically take you through the whole tunning process. You might have to zoom in to read all the words. First get you engine to idle good and the chart will take you from there.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

+1 on this....I've got a laminated copy that I keep in my pit box.

Originally Posted by dreaux
this helped me out alot when i got started. It will basically take you through the whole tunning process. You might have to zoom in to read all the words. First get you engine to idle good and the chart will take you from there.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

hey can someone send me the link where i can get this diagram so i can print it?

cheers
Old 01-04-2010, 01:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by yuppi1
hey can someone send me the link where i can get this diagram so i can print it?

cheers
Right-click the image in dreaux's post, and select View Image. From there, File, Print in your browser
Old 01-04-2010, 12:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

cheers for that!
Old 01-04-2010, 01:27 PM
Tech Initiate

I'm not sure you every stop learning! I've picked up what I know about tuning from two places.

1. The Ron Paris guide (just google it, there's a PDF version floating about).

2. Going to the track and asking people. Made some good friends and learned a load as well.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 82 (99%+)

Originally Posted by MrMagoo73
I'm not sure you every stop learning! I've picked up what I know about tuning from two places.

1. The Ron Paris guide (just google it, there's a PDF version floating about).

2. Going to the track and asking people. Made some good friends and learned a load as well.
the tuneing bible is at the top of this forum stickied.