Wiki Posts
Search

I need faster lap time

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 10:07 AM
Tech Rookie

Default I need faster lap time

Hi,
We just had a race on our local track, I didn’t make it to the final, I was too slow. Actuly I never made it to the final.
My avg lap time is ~55 sec while all the drivers on the final have avg time of 50-51 sec.
I have one year of experience, I can now maintain my car well (no more DNO's). I also like my car setup, it is very easy drive and very stable.
I have the original XRAY XT8, all the drivers on the final have the new 09 XT8 and LOSI T 2.0 but I don't think the 5 sec are hidden on the car brand or type.

I do invest time on practice session every week but no major improvement.
Sometimes I think to go back to bashing and stop racing (even that is a lot of fun) , it might be my limited talent.
What is the best way to improve the lap time? any chance to get to the finals someday? Top 10 is enough for me
Old 12-29-2009, 10:12 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by banji
Hi,
We just had a race on our local track, I didn’t make it to the final, I was too slow. Actuly I never made it to the final.
My avg lap time is ~55 sec while all the drivers on the final have avg time of 50-51 sec.
I have one year of experience, I can now maintain my car well (no more DNO's). I also like my car setup, it is very easy drive and very stable.
I have the original XRAY XT8, all the drivers on the final have the new 09 XT8 and LOSI T 2.0 but I don't think the 5 sec are hidden on the car brand or type.

Sometimes I think to go back to bashing and stop racing (even that is a lot of fun) , it might be my limited talent.
What is the best way to improve the lap time? any chance to get to the finals someday? Top 10 is enough for me
As long as the car setup is good its just practice & tracktime. This will bring consistency & speed. Watch the top pro's & see where they are finding the speed on your track..
Old 12-29-2009, 10:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

watch them wheel it around the track and run the same lines they are running. you'll eventually become faster.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:19 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

You must eliminate crashes. Slowing down or rolling the big jumps is better then ending up on your lid and having to wait for the corner marshall to come flip you over. If you can keep mistakes to a minimum you have a great shot at the final, even if you are a few seconds slower then the competition.

Also practice with the fast guys, see where they brake for the corners, what lines they take thru a section, etc....

Keep your head up!
Old 12-29-2009, 10:20 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

1. Drive faster. Hard to do but it's what it takes.

2. Set-up. Easy to drive doesn't always mean fast (though sometimes it does). The thing that really makes the pros so good is that they can drive a more aggressive, better turning set-up without making mistakes.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:24 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

What engine/pipe/fuel/gearing are the fast guys running? Are you running the same? How's your tuning skills?

It is possible that your competition is just plain more talented than you but before you give up, find out what hardware they are running and see how it stacks up to yours.

Racing is very much about the driver, BUT... given equivalent skill, the driver with the better vehicle will win.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:25 AM
Tech Lord

Maybe you have to search the problem in the clutch or gearing, you can loose a lot when not set right.

Try to find a higer engage point of the clutch and/or a smaller pinion or a larger spurgear. Driving on a track means accelerating from corner to corner so the car must accelerate fast.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

If you setup is good, and you think you cant drive it any better, see what tires the top dogs are running.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:31 AM
Tech Regular

one year of experience isnt too much, i would'nt quit it if not succseeding during the first year.

Patience, practice
Old 12-29-2009, 10:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Go Slower!!! No realy drie slower and you will make faster lap times!!!
Old 12-29-2009, 10:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I was the same way when I started, I had one of our pros run my car during practice and his lap times were just as fast with mine then his. So then I knew it was me, after practicing more and following him around the track on his line I was up there with the fast guys.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by casevac
one year of experience isnt too much, i would'nt quit it if not succseeding during the first year.

Patience, practice
+1
Old 12-29-2009, 10:39 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Originally Posted by casevac

Patience, practice
+1

except for a very few of the rare individuals nobody gets "good" in a year, but keep in mind that 99.9% of us will never be champions and that the people that got into the hobby just to win (or make every Final/A-Main) got into it for all the wrong reasons.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:00 AM
Tech Prophet

il say it like this if you been racing for 6, years and you are just a good enough driver than thats what u will be,if you are a exellent driver than thats what u will be .

i been racing electric onroad for about 3 years, when i started out and i been. doing offroad for about 2 years and i ,was never a exellent driver just good enough and i really dont think il ever be a pro, but i dont care i just deal with it .

but as long as you dont crash you will always have a chance to win.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by banji
Hi,

I myself started in Feb of this year and have been racing for less then a year, but have had great sucess so far with a little luck. My trick has been to sit and watch the fast guys line...then copy it. When I first started I would run the track the way I felt was the fastest and then watched the pro's run and they looked slower through some sections I thought I was faster at. But the clock never lies.......soon I duplicated what seemed to be a slower "looking" line, but on the clock it was faster. Also tires makes a HUGE difference. My 1st real wake up call on that was a race at a track here called Maddmaxx. I was running 5-6th place all day long and running mid pack lap times. Two of the local guys there, which are on this board came by and looked at my 8T 2.0. Gave me a set of tires, changed my ride height and all of a sudden the truck ran lap times with the top guys. Zixxer on this board and Shady3031 are the ones that pointed me in the right direction.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.