R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   fuel question (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/356790-fuel-question.html)

lanmine657 01-02-2010 10:44 AM

fuel question

I been wanting to know if there is any reasons why I would not be able to run 20% vs 30%. Our track is short and slick and we been de-tuning our motors, trying different clutch setups, diff setups, shocks and tires to get maximun traction and hook up. Our thoughts are trying 20% to ease the power of the motor and making the cars not so twichy. Water on our track is not availible to us. I guess my main concern is will 20% hurt our motors in any way. Most of us are running losi 350s and werks b5s

wingracer 01-02-2010 10:57 AM

20% works great. You should see an improvement in runtime as well.

merdith6 01-03-2010 06:17 PM

I think

30 percent is overkill. 20 percent is perfect for racing. I run 20 percent in the summer, and 25 in the winter, not exclusively but it just seems to happen that way. More oil is better for the engine, and some fuels use as low as 9 percent oil, not enough, no matter how great the oil is. They say proprietary lube package is lightyears ahead giving us the ability to use les oil and make you win races, whatever, the manufacturer Novarossi recomends 12 percent oil, who knows better than they do? the 20 percent byrons gen 2 fuel is just about perfect....

jpz_67 01-03-2010 06:23 PM

Lanmine657, going to 20% will be a very good idea if you are looking to smooth out the power and get some more traction. I just recently did some testing on 20 vs 30 and a much smoother bottom end is one of the things I noticed with 20%. Your fuel mileage will increase also as others stated. It will not hurt the motor by switching nitro percentages but you will have to retune the needles a bit and maybe a different glow plug. Good luck.

j_blaze14 01-03-2010 06:41 PM

cheeper fuel, better run time, more oil for the motor, excellent performance, larger tuning window did i mention its cheeper too? i say the day i can get faster by switching to 30% is the day i switch back. the power curve may be more linear but you loose very little if any top end also. 30% is just not worth it to me.

2tap 01-03-2010 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by j_blaze14 (Post 6801774)
cheeper fuel, better run time, more oil for the motor, excellent performance, larger tuning window did i mention its cheeper too? i say the day i can get faster by switching to 30% is the day i switch back. the power curve may be more linear but you loose very little if any top end also. 30% is just not worth it to me.

TTTSH
Thanks for the tip that 20% has more oil.
I DID NOT KNOW THAT.

xxx123 01-03-2010 11:07 PM

ppl from my track are using 30% and they are saying it runs cooler...why? i dunno...i am happy with my byron 30 though..

Poinas2 01-03-2010 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by 2tap (Post 6802910)
TTTSH
Thanks for the tip that 20% has more oil.
I DID NOT KNOW THAT.

Well if it says 11% oil or 9% oil it has that amount regardless of the Nitro content. It's the Methanol content that changes vs the Nitro

2tap 01-03-2010 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Poinas2 (Post 6802933)
Well if it says 11% oil or 9% oil it has that amount regardless of the Nitro content. It's the Methanol content that changes vs the Nitro

OK
I think I will trust you.;)

Lille-bror 01-03-2010 11:24 PM

Amen to less nitro.

As mentioned you'll most likely have to use a little hotter plug and perhaps remove a 0,1 mm shim under the head.

The reason why there should be more oil in the fuel when you go down in nitro percent is rather simple:

The lower fuel consumption when you run less nitro means that the fuel/oil flow in the engine is lower. To keep the right lubrication you will have to use more oil.

I run 0-5 % nitro and uses 15-16 % oil in my brew.

Oh yes, the lifetime of your engine will improve, when you goes down in nitro :D

Cheers

2tap 01-03-2010 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Lille-bror (Post 6802954)
Amen to less nitro.

As mentioned you'll most likely have to use a little hotter plug and perhaps remove a 0,1 mm shim under the head.

The reason why there should be more oil in the fuel when you go down in nitro percent is rather simple:

The lower fuel consumption when you run less nitro means that the fuel/oil flow in the engine is lower. To keep the right lubrication you will have to use more oil.

I run 0-5 % nitro and uses 15-16 % oil in my brew.

Oh yes, the lifetime of your engine will improve, when you goes down in nitro :D

Cheers

REALLY:eek:

merdith6 01-04-2010 12:04 PM

It just makes sense....

Traditionally the nitro has been lower around 10-15 percent, but in the last 10 years 20-25 has been the standard. I really don't understand why people run 30 percent with 9 percent oil, it is bad for engines. I remember when a local texas fuel came out called rocket science, and everybody jumped on it like it was so awesome, well it burned my eyes and smelled horrible, burnt up engines faster, and made engines run leaner and hotter, oh yeah, it was inconsistent too. I tried to tune my friends engines and it stayed on average 15-20 degrees hotter than my same engine with Power Master fuel that had 12 percent oil. I told them 9 percent isn't enough, and they all said I was wrong, After 5 years those people ended up changing fuels afer burning up engines on 9 percent 30 percent fuel. The most powerful and biggest isn't always the best. And don't tune your engine for max performance, back it off a little give it some room to heat up during those long mains and long practice sessions. Your engine will run more consistent and if it goes too rich then you can always lean it a little and know it needs it.....

RAlmeida 01-04-2010 01:31 PM

I ruined 2 v-specs on sidewinder team blend (30-8) with in 4 gallons, changed over to ace blend 30-12, 10 gallons latter still ticking

Lille-bror 01-04-2010 11:49 PM

Hi.

Fuel with 9% oil, can be as good (or even better) than other brews with eg. 12% oil. There are a big different in quality of different companies oil products.
I use the European AeroSynth3 oil. If I only was able to buy the American Klotz oil, I would use more oil - 20% instead of 15-16%.

In general companies "Pro" fuel has less oil the their standard fuel. If you run with less oil, you should NEVER set the carb too lean. I personal don't think, that less oil should do anything good in a buggy/truggy. Perhaps it will give an on-road car a little more topspeed (less than 1%) due to less friction.

Cheers