R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-01-2010, 06:55 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Having interest in building a track!

I am getting close to having a place to build a track on my own property but I know there are many things to think about namely insurance. I am looking for opinions,previous knowledge or any other information that you might be able to include that would help me in my effort(Positive and Negative). I am not looking to start a racing program at first but I would love to have a place where people can have a good time,run their cars and just plain enjoy themselves. I am not looking to make any kind of profit but I guess some money coming in would help with garbage,electric and maybe a port-o-let
motomanpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:38 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

well the hobby shop by my house has a track. the owner was going to charge to use it but found out if he took money for people to use the track he would need insurance. His house & land & track are next to shop. So he doesn't charge to use the track. Most of us there just do are part in maintaing the track. I don't know what the laws are where you live but your home owners insurance should cover an accedents as long as long as it is for private, recreation use. ex. friends and friends of freinds.
team jeremiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:56 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Ok

Don't start a hobby shop or plan to make money. Do it because you enjoy it. Don't make it all clay, give it some real dirt too. Be friendly, let the word out, and prepare by getting a few guys to help. You may want something to move dirt around, and above all make it big enough.....
Old 01-01-2010, 09:58 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The last track that I ran at just made everyone sign a waiver that stated "they were not liable for any injuries you may get while out there". Seemed to work there, but I would have a little insurance just in case. You may want to look into that as an option too.
Revooooooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:17 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by merdith6 View Post
Don't start a hobby shop or plan to make money. Do it because you enjoy it. Don't make it all clay, give it some real dirt too. Be friendly, let the word out, and prepare by getting a few guys to help. You may want something to move dirt around, and above all make it big enough.....

I don't plan on starting a hobby shop and I don't plan on making any money but it would be nice to have the garbage,Porto-Potty,electric,insurance paid. If it happens I have plenty of area to make a giant track!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revooooooo View Post
The last track that I ran at just made everyone sign a waiver that stated "they were not liable for any injuries you may get while out there". Seemed to work there, but I would have a little insurance just in case. You may want to look into that as an option too.
I have heard these waivers don't really do a whole lot if someone really wants to sue you. I am sure that a waiver would be somewhat beneficial regardless though.
motomanpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 02:13 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

motomanpat, your signature is awesome lol
Old 01-02-2010, 04:23 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Way cool....

Good luck. ..Maybe someday I'll come and race on it with you... Where is it going to be? Keep us posted.....
Old 01-02-2010, 04:46 PM   #8
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by merdith6 View Post
Good luck. ..Maybe someday I'll come and race on it with you... Where is it going to be? Keep us posted.....
pat is a northwest local

good guy
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:22 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

great to hear of a track maybe opening instead of closing lol, in these hard times
koreanassasom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:45 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yeah Oregon has had it rough lately. We need places to run our toys.
05tuonojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:52 PM   #11
Tech Prophet

all them woods in oregon and theres no offroad tracks?
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:00 PM   #12
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05tuonojoe View Post
Yeah Oregon has had it rough lately. We need places to run our toys.
no kiddin huh joe?
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:10 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Are Donations allowed.
Chris Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:24 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

A few good things come to mind from the tracks I've raced on and seen.

- A covered driver's stand is very nice. It gets friggin' Tarzan-hot out here in NC during the summer, so it's nice to have some shade while racing.
- Lane width. 12 feet is a good size for 1/8th scale. If you have room, make the jump landings 1/3 wider (16 feet). It gives some extra cushion for when you don't hit the jump face square.
- REALLY fine tune the shape of the jumps before running a plate tamper on them. Trying to dial in the jump face after packing is a major pain in the butt (found out the hard way ).
- Try to design the features so that there are multiple lines that can be taken (for a quad section, some folks can double-double, others can triple-single, etc...). It makes for interesting racing, if drivers can attack the track in different ways.
- Elevation changes make for fun racing. If you're on a flat piece of land, build up the track surface, and have it get higher as it gets farther away. This will help with depth perception and give you some steps ups / drop downs.
- A plywood & lumber pit wall is nice, but if you can swing it, put up a couple of cinder block walls, and fill the middle with dirt. It'll be lower maintenance in the long run.

I think it was last month's RC Driver magazine that had an article on track building. It was very informative reading. You should try to find that article...

Above all else though, have fun! Starting a running a track will be LOTS of work. If you have some folks to pitch in and help with the work, it will be better in the long run.
Stubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:08 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
pat is a northwest local

good guy

What a guy! Your a great guy yourself big guy! Missed you tonight but I do understand