R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-01-2010, 10:34 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default just a lil more nova p5xlt brake in help please

i am to the point where im starting to turn some needles on this thing and have noticed that even at half to 3/4 throttle (in short slow burst) the engine is screaming (tacking out). is this normal for this engine or nova's in general,i used to run a c-6 and that thing moved,i have been told this engine will not perform as well as the c-6 but it already seems why behind.there is two things i have changed on this engine and maybe they are why it seems to be tacking out, one is i went from a 1.0 clutch springs to the .9 on this engine and the other is the pipe,went from the 2045 to the 086.will they or one of them make a differance? does anyone have some answers for me,im sure the p5 will get better(i hope)or maybe i have been spoiled. thanks
bigguyrc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:17 AM   #2
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguyrc8 View Post
i am to the point where im starting to turn some needles on this thing and have noticed that even at half to 3/4 throttle (in short slow burst) the engine is screaming (tacking out). is this normal for this engine or nova's in general,i used to run a c-6 and that thing moved,i have been told this engine will not perform as well as the c-6 but it already seems why behind.there is two things i have changed on this engine and maybe they are why it seems to be tacking out, one is i went from a 1.0 clutch springs to the .9 on this engine and the other is the pipe,went from the 2045 to the 086.will they or one of them make a differance? does anyone have some answers for me,im sure the p5 will get better(i hope)or maybe i have been spoiled. thanks
If the engine is new , give it time.

After about a gallon then you will see what the engine will do.

Comparing any engine to a c6 is like comparing a .12 to a high revving .28 :-)
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:39 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Great engine...

It takes forever to break in a p5, be patient, and if it's toping out too soon, you have the top end too lean anyway. it will go faster with more fuel, I know it sounds dumb, but more fuel bigger fire. As it breaks in it frees up and more fuel can be burned so try it, and see.....Put the short header on it too, if you didn't.....If you still aren't happy then gear up, it has enough torque to gear up one tooth, you may like it.....
Old 01-01-2010, 04:18 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

mine has been all i hoped for during break in ..i ran 20%/12% for break in ..3 quarts ....i have reshimmed the head to .80 for the 30% that i will continue running ...im running a 9853/41021 and a 97t odo plug ...at the 3/4 gallon mark it is inevitable that after the next few bottles it will be a monster ...i will be running it at the colonels winter classic in savannah in 3 weeks ....as houston said these engines really need a full gallon on them before you really start to see the way it will act ...thats really any nitro motor except maybe an o.s .

TEAM REDS RACING ENGINES USA
TEAM PROLINE-RACING
TEAM RC AMERICA/XRAY/HUDY
zixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:00 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Default So true....

I like your style.....
Old 01-01-2010, 08:11 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

as stated be patient on the break in and it will be plenty most novas do take awhile
littlelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:39 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguyrc8 View Post

"the engine is screaming (tacking out). is this normal for this engine or nova's in general"

This kind of question is imposable to answer without hands on but here are a few thoughts.

You went with lighter C springs, so assume the C is locking IF it is working correctly.
My first guess would be the C is slipping. Or even the flywheel.
This is a change you made at the same time as the engine swap.? If yes, this is a no no. One change at a time.
Check this first.

The pipe difference will have an affect but shouldn't be radical.
Don't think it's the pipe.

The "screaming (tacking out)" tells me SOMETHING is slipping. If not the C check the rest of the drive line.

Like houston said.......If the engine is new , give it time.
You don't want to hear it go TING!!
2tap is offline   Reply With Quote