R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-05-2010, 04:23 PM   #46
Tech Prophet

i was just wondering cause i might get a, xray or a mugen maybe next year or. so i might get tried, of the losi parts wareing out lol.
tc5 man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:32 PM   #47
JUD
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I don't think the Mugen will wear as fast as the Losi.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:35 PM   #48
Tech Prophet

i know thats what i hear at least, from most people. isnt the pillow ball suspension a ,pain to set to camber up though?
Old 01-05-2010, 04:40 PM   #49
JUD
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have the M-spec. I haven't touched it yet. Don't think Im going to.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:00 PM   #50
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default the mugennn

the pivot ball is nice to set camber. It holds it's settings well.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:32 PM   #51
Tech Prophet

how do you set a pivot ball suspension ,i did have a t-maxx that had a pivot ball suspension i dint set it, right though it was a long time ago though.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:22 PM   #52
Tech Elite

Default Ok

On the outside of the pivot balls you need some rims with holes in them or spokes and you tighten down the bottom ones that have a shoulder on them that bottoms out on the lower a arm and you simply screw in the upper pivot ball until you are at the desired camber angle. Now the pivot balls have caps to adjust, they are the large hex caps the cover the pivot balls and you want a little play in them to maintain free movement of the steering, check those fairly often and take up any slop that very slowly develops. Once they break in they will last a long time, and the plastic is cheap to replace. the pivot balls screw onto the steel rods that go into the a arms and make sure to thread lock them on there.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:27 PM   #53
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Go with Mugen you wont be sorry.I've owned a 5t for 3 years ony broke one a arm. Mugen will out last any thing on the market. and once you find that sweet spot its over!!!!
mugen boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:48 PM   #54
Tech Adept

808 looks same like before just pay more now
Old 01-08-2010, 12:14 AM   #55
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

I've owned a lot of brands, but not these two. I'm thinking of a new car and heavily leaning Mugen. The Xray looks easier to work on for sure. Both look like quality is top notch. Nobody has really mentioned driving characteristics of these cars.

So the Xray is more Losi vibe?

What does the Mugen feel like? What are it's strengths? Weeknesses? What does it do well on the track? What do you have to fight to make work? etc.

Again, more interested in the Mugen. Curious what it drives like.
markhat250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:19 AM   #56
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhat250 View Post
I've owned a lot of brands, but not these two. I'm thinking of a new car and heavily leaning Mugen. The Xray looks easier to work on for sure. Both look like quality is top notch. Nobody has really mentioned driving characteristics of these cars.

What does the Mugen feel like? What are it's strengths? Weeknesses? What does it do well on the track? What do you have to fight to make work? etc.

The MBX6 is a very nimble buggy! It's light, steers like crazy and accelerates hard so it can take some time to adjust your driving style to be fast with it. I have yet to break anything on my MBX6 OR MBX6T. I don't crash a lot; however, I don't think the Mugen has any weak spots. It took me about two races to fine tune and make adjustment to arrive at my sweet spot. I switched from Losi so I can't give any input on the XRAY. A buddy of mine runs for XRAY and he pretty much wins most of the races in our region with his 808-2009 Spec. The 808-2010 Spec is an awesome platform and I don't think you'd be disappointed with it at all.

Just buy one dude! I'm Mugen for life though!
Torian4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:42 PM   #57
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to lucky2

get the car thats easiest to get parts for locally all of the new cars are good, owned losi, mugen mbx6, xray xb808 08 09 10.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:34 PM   #58
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhat250 View Post

Both the Mugen and the Xray can be set up for crazy Losi like rotation or a more sedate AE/Kyosho feel. The Mugen usually seems more planted and a little more boring than the Xray. The Xray is dull if you use some of the team setups, but with the right setup really comes to life.

They are highly tuneable. Being able to fine tune the wheelbase front and rear on the Xray is a handy tool. Wheelbase, droop, caster blocks, and camber seemed to be what my 809 reacts to the most.

I'd go with the Xray 810 and some super soft AKA tires. Grab an active diff for the front and optional 12 degree (+2) caster blocks.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:46 PM   #59
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietman View Post
Losi feels more aggressive in the steering where the xray is less i went from a losi to a xray i have gone slower but xray better build and stronger.If you race electric then losi will be better xray does not have as much steering as standard part of me wishes that i still have my losi but tje xray is more consistant over a race i find
Solution:
Camber -2/-3 (-3.5/-4.5 if using a hudy stand with 30mm blocks)
Increase caster with optional caster blocks
JW worlds setup shocks with slightly lighter front fluid
Move rear hubs back and front arms back
Diffs: AD2/5/3

More rotation like the Losi, still better rear bite. Sometimes a snap oversteer problem that I'm working on.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:46 PM   #60
Tech Elite

Default yes, the team setups aren't so hot....

Your always right on the money zero defect....