R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-01-2010, 10:05 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by merdith6 View Post
If you hang it out on big jumps and blast it the mugen will actually clear the tough jumps. I know, I know what you guys are thinking, but The mugen has more ground clearance and shock travel, and it freakin flies and doesn't get as upset as the 808, but i wouldn't buy one.....
well, whats wrong with it then to make you not want to buy one?

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:39 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

you cant go wrong with either one IMO but the mugan is cheaper all around but xrays just dont break. i like both but im not a huge fan of the pillow ball steering but it seems to work well. its all driver preference.
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:59 AM   #18
Tech Regular

Never heard of PILLOW ball susp. however PIVOT ball is basically slop free and thight like a tiger!

Its a matter of personal preference, driving style and support.
Mugen is on a wave these days, xray havent been winning anything major lately, except for "readers choice awards".

Not to many here have tried both, and if they have they tend to reccomend the model they currently is driving.

Between xray and Mugen you cant go wrong. drive them both and make your choice...
Old 01-02-2010, 02:41 AM   #19
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

808 and Mugen are unbreakable.

808 rear bearings ( bulk head ) required more attention and maintainance.

Mugen runs on and on without any special maintainance.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:09 AM   #20
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Ok I have had both of these cars. I really liked them both to be honest. The mugen is a awesome ride. My only gripe with it is its a little harder to work on than most other buggies. My biggest gripe is with the turnbuckles. Very hard to adjust them with the little hole in them. But overall it drives awesome and never breaks. The xray is aweosme as well. Easier to work on, drives very well. But doesnt seeem to have the steering of the mugen. Biggest complaint with the 808 is you have to buy other parts to get the most adjustments out of it. But these are very small problem with both cars. I say flip a coin
Old 01-02-2010, 08:48 AM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by casevac View Post
Never heard of PILLOW ball susp. however PIVOT ball is basically slop free and thight like a tiger!

Its a matter of personal preference, driving style and support.
Mugen is on a wave these days, xray havent been winning anything major lately, except for "readers choice awards".

Not to many here have tried both, and if they have they tend to reccomend the model they currently is driving.

Between xray and Mugen you cant go wrong. drive them both and make your choice...

Maybe you haven't been around enough because pillow ball and pivot is the same thing. Why pillow who knows but thats what it's called.
arm2storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:02 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm2storm View Post
Maybe you haven't been around enough because pillow ball and pivot is the same thing. Why pillow who knows but thats what it's called.
i have heard it call PILLAR BALLS. Which makes more sense. I think That is the term used on real sized cars.

I would think the PBS would be better. THere is a greater range of motion in just about every way on the front end.

Mugen
Old 01-02-2010, 09:06 AM   #23
Tech Elite

THe shocks on the mugen are unbelievable. If there are better ones, i would like to see them.

Oh, i have only driven mugen so i am kinda biassed

Also, XRAY has TOP SECRET hudy spring steel. And championship DNA

ETA, i am not knocking xray.

Mugen
Old 01-05-2010, 09:00 AM   #24
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Well I think going to bite the bullet and get the 2010 Xray 808. The only thing stopping me now is that it seems that I have to buy alot more pcs to tune it to the way I would like it, like different rate shock springs, anti sway bars, aluminum suspension holders and others. Is there any parts that I NEED to buy to be able to tune it to my style and what extras does it come with if any? I'm coming from a Losi race roller kit where they give you extras so you can tune it to your likings with out having to go out and buy a bunch of extras right off the bat. If I get this and all the extras that I would want/need I'm looking at close to a $1000.00 roller. I understand if your gona play you have to pay and I'm willing to pay for better quality but my only question is the quality really worth the extra coin?
8secnotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:13 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8secnotch View Post
Well I think going to bite the bullet and get the 2010 Xray 808. The only thing stopping me now is that it seems that I have to buy alot more pcs to tune it to the way I would like it, like different rate shock springs, anti sway bars, aluminum suspension holders and others. Is there any parts that I NEED to buy to be able to tune it to my style and what extras does it come with if any? I'm coming from a Losi race roller kit where they give you extras so you can tune it to your likings with out having to go out and buy a bunch of extras right off the bat. If I get this and all the extras that I would want/need I'm looking at close to a $1000.00 roller. I understand if your gona play you have to pay and I'm willing to pay for better quality but my only question is the quality really worth the extra coin?
You don't really need a lot of stuff. I wouldn't buy anything until you get a chance to drive it. Go very easy on the spare parts stock up. You absolutely do not need a trunk full of spares like you do with other cars. Every Xray owner I know has a couple of hundred dollars of unused spares in their pit box.

I have had my car going on 2 seasons now and it is still about 95% original parts. I have only replaced the arms (they warp after about 6 mos of use) and one diff case during that time.

You don't need any hop up eithers. All xray hop ups are for bling only. The car is absolutely bullet proof in stock form. The only hops up that seem to be nice to have are the hinge pin carriers as it makes it easier to get into the front and rear diffs.

Sponsors: Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and my wife's bank account.
Edumakated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:17 AM   #26
Tech Elite

I can only speak for the mugen. It's 150$ cheaper and comes with wheels tires and body wrap.

It's also top of the line. You might have to buy different shock pistons, springs and swaybars, but the ones that come with the kit are prospec.

The build is flawless and quality is mind numbing.

But i have never built or driven a xray.

But that and odonnell would be my next choice.

Mugen
Old 01-05-2010, 09:24 AM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

You can't go wrong with 808, it is such an easy car to drive and not to mention quality and durability. But the only thing I don't like is that they update there buggy every 8 months. If you can live with that you'll be very happy with there product.

I had the xb8EC and 808 2008 and they were both great and tough as nails, I just couldn't keep up with there new model every 8 months.
arm2storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:25 AM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I ran the original 808 for a year. I probably wouldn't get another Xray. Nothing wrong with it, just parts availability and cost. They also need to release a new truggy platform.

I would love to try a Mugen, they are very nice cars. I am currently running a Losi 2.0 and it has been as reliable as my 808 was. I haven't broken anything and I'm faster with it.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:25 AM   #29
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm2storm View Post
You can't go wrong with 808, it is such an easy car to drive and not to mention quality and durability. But the only thing I don't like is that they update there buggy every 8 months. If you can live with that you'll be very happy with there product.

I had the xb8EC and 808 2008 and they were both great and tough as nails, I just couldn't keep up with there new model every 8 months.

does the xray buggy handle the,same as the losi eight buggy?

Last edited by tc5 man; 01-05-2010 at 10:52 AM.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:49 AM   #30
Tech Master

Dont need to buy any hop-ups to change the 808. For how I drive the car is almost perfect in stock form. Only thing I changed on my 808 from box stock setup is link locations which are free. I do have the adjustable hinge pins to make diff access easier & most of the time their set to stock.I also have a extended Kingheadz eng mount but I have put that on all my car,losi,mugen,jammin,AE all got the same mount during first build.

The reason 808 drivers buy hopups is they spend almost no money on the car maint after purchase & feel the need to buy SOMETHING other than bearings & dogbone pins.

I used to run Mugen & loved them & swore by them for years then found something that suited me even better. All cars have something,some X-RAY drivers have had o-ring problems & fixed that with a 50 count bag of o-rings for $5 from McMaster Carr,a bunch of my racing buddys got the new Mugen & like them but they all had the same problems, rear hub bearings locking up often,shock towers breaking,steering top plates breaking,front upper hinge pin holders breaking,rear toe plates breaking & all but the rear hub bearing problem can be fixed by spending $100 bux on e-bay. In fact the newer Mugen guys start their first build with the hopup parts & never have any problems but it still comes down to my 808 fits me better & 20+ gallons I wore out a chassis,broke 1 hinge pin after straightening it & broke a front plastic camber rod end & replaced all 4 arms twice due to warpage & thats it,I have had more motor tuning problems due to worn out engines than any other problem with this car.

As far as X-RAY changing the car every 8 month that is not exactly true! From the 808 08 model to the 09 model the big change was to add shock boots(I did that myself for free to the 08 shock to run mugen boots) & a better looking body. The major thing on the 09 to 2010 model was a slightly longer chassis & radio tray to match & they updated the bulkheads to take 1mm bigger bearings(I never had problems with the 1mm smaller bearings) for the pinion.Buy the longer chassis & servo tray & everything from the 08 & 09 bolt right up to it including the 08,09 shorter drive shaft. Thats not realy a new car is it? How many updated parts did mugen release on the mbx6?I will say that X-RAY would have to really screwup the 808 for me to leave it but if I did it would be straight to Mugen.