R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-30-2009, 04:50 PM   #1
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default What Tires Should I Get To Run At The Nitro Pit

This is for you guys that run at the Nitro Pit AZ.
some friends and I are coming down for the Nitro Challenge in Feb.
what tires should I get for the Buggy and Truggy
thanks
cary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:53 PM   #2
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cary View Post
This is for you guys that run at the Nitro Pit AZ.
some friends and I are coming down for the Nitro Challenge in Feb.
what tires should I get for the Buggy and Truggy
thanks
this is a very tough question as there are excellent tires from every manufacturer . i can tell you that AKA will be amongst the highest ranked/used tires at the pit

i love this place , see ya there !!
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:52 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

I was hopping that we could get a little more specific
I like AKA and Pro-line but like gridirons calibers 1/2 ups
brands are a start
cary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:14 PM   #4
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

I would also like to know this so i have a general idea of what guys are planning to run....i got most of everything but sure cant BRING everything with me.

Ive been told you need wet tires and Dry Tires....you never know what the track condition might be when your heat rolls up so ive been told its wise to have both set's on hand in case the track changes prior to your quali or main.

What treads you running guys ?
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:17 PM   #5
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

It will be Febuary so its kinda chilly, stick to Soft compounds.

AKA I beams rear and either Crossbrace front or Cityblock front depending on how much front traction you want and how much speed you carry into your turns. These combos work best on a moist or wet track. If its dry but loose top soil Crossbrace all around, and when it blue groves, pretty much all the blue groove tires work, but stick to AKA as the mains are long

People like Proline Calipers, I-Beams and Crimefighters as well or combos.
I hear some other tires that have similar tread patterns work well also but those are the only tires I have ran. Keep in mind I drive Novice class and am Giving my opinion, but I am sure one of the pro drivers will chime in soon enough, and they mostly run the same tires anyway
Old 12-30-2009, 07:44 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

BUGGY:

Ive only med city blocks and soft ibeams as far as aka goes. They work ok. Ibeams worked very well, this was actually my fav tire for a while, it worked decent in dry conditions and great in wet conditions. City blocks were so so, they did work but not consistent. Ive also ran m2 and m3 bow fighters. This is a great set up, just make sure you cut the outside edge on the crime fighters or you will be traction rolling, If it drys up run bowties all the way around.

The one tire i am in LOVE With is losi eclipse. This is the only tire i am buying from now on for buggy. Run greens when its wet and red when it dries out. if you want a little more turn in run xbt up front with the eclipse in the rear. The eclipses all the way around turns in great already but the xbts do add a little. All the losi pros and most of the fast int losi guys are running these.but make sure you bring 2-3 sets depending on how much you will be driving, they do wear sorta fast but i mean i have 1.5 hours on a set but they are gone now

TRUGGY:

I have not ran any aka for truggy so i can not comment on those. What i have found out to work well in all cond. is m3 bow fighters. But what most people have turned to are m3 calipers,these also last forever, i kept track of my first set that had 4 hours on them and still usable for qualifers. I will have both of these in my tire bin for nitro challenge.

Hope this helps. I run at the pit weekly and i am a fast int driver. Cant wait till feb

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products

Last edited by losi_racer; 12-30-2009 at 07:56 PM.
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:47 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Tires have alot to do with how you drive and setup yr truck.

Just look and see what others commonly use for a starting point. and then hit the local hobby shop up for parts !!!

The pit is not my local track, so maybe others can be a better help.

Last year I ran truggy and did like the bow-fighter or city-beams ( cross brace was not out fro truggy at that time ) for the first day or so. But for the main I ended up going with cityblock all around. I loved that track and cant wait for this year. I finished in the B-main last year.

I'm no pro, but do know that tires are just about the biggest setup/tuning option you can do for yr truck.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:35 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I have ran many different combo here and I like the holeshot best when track is a little damp. Gridirons would work too. Bowtie type tires will always be safe bet all around. During the day, it will be a bit dry so plan on running harder tires during the day.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:18 PM   #9
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi_racer View Post
BUGGY:

Ive only med city blocks and soft ibeams as far as aka goes. They work ok. Ibeams worked very well, this was actually my fav tire for a while, it worked decent in dry conditions and great in wet conditions. City blocks were so so, they did work but not consistent. Ive also ran m2 and m3 bow fighters. This is a great set up, just make sure you cut the outside edge on the crime fighters or you will be traction rolling, If it drys up run bowties all the way around.

The one tire i am in LOVE With is losi eclipse. This is the only tire i am buying from now on for buggy. Run greens when its wet and red when it dries out. if you want a little more turn in run xbt up front with the eclipse in the rear. The eclipses all the way around turns in great already but the xbts do add a little. All the losi pros and most of the fast int losi guys are running these.but make sure you bring 2-3 sets depending on how much you will be driving, they do wear sorta fast but i mean i have 1.5 hours on a set but they are gone now

TRUGGY:

I have not ran any aka for truggy so i can not comment on those. What i have found out to work well in all cond. is m3 bow fighters. But what most people have turned to are m3 calipers,these also last forever, i kept track of my first set that had 4 hours on them and still usable for qualifers. I will have both of these in my tire bin for nitro challenge.

Hope this helps. I run at the pit weekly and i am a fast int driver. Cant wait till feb
So you guys arent running like grid irons or holeshots, thats interesting. Personally I bring everything I got, caliber, gridiron, 7's, eclipse, xbt (my fav combo on the buggy top secret M. Truhe stuff) cross brace, i-beam, city block, cross hairs etc... you never know what you are going to like.

BTW nice nice thread Cary. Imon that train hehehe
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:23 PM   #10
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

city blocks are awesome buggy/truggy , grid irons are faster for most of the track conditions . losi eclipse tires are another very very good tire
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:32 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to imaxx21

i liked holeshots wet or dry (m3)
Old 12-30-2009, 09:41 PM   #12
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
city blocks are awesome buggy/truggy , grid irons are faster for most of the track conditions . losi eclipse tires are another very very good tire
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaxx21 View Post
i liked holeshots wet or dry (m3)
Thats what I thought. I recently started running ss grid irons and they are great on well groomed tracks (like the nitropit).
Old 12-30-2009, 09:46 PM   #13
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

jconcepts 7's for buggy and truggy, give them a try, you wont be disappointed
4x4 SC10 tekin 4600kv rx8 Sc10 Tekin R5 8.5, B4.1 Tekin R5 8.5 Sikk LidZ(MANGOOOO!)
Team Driver: Team Associated, Proline, Pro-Match, XPS, Morgan Fuels, Tekin Electronics
xxxtcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:49 PM   #14
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxtcr View Post
jconcepts 7's for buggy and truggy, give them a try, you wont be disappointed
I tried the 7's on my buggy and it was all over the place I didn't like them at all.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:54 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I am a novice driver but AKA I-Beams all around are my favorite. I have run calibers and didnt like them especially right after water. Seems the dirt cakes in the tire grooves and traction is lost.

I-Beams work well in both conditions and when wet the dirt flies right of keeping the tire clean throughout the race.