R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-30-2009, 12:15 PM   #31
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default my 2 cents

My experience with bearings with many types per many applications over the years has been with a very simple rule of thumb: #1 European manufactured bearings, #2 Japanese manufactured bearings, #3 USA manufactured bearings, #4 Taiwanese manufactured bearings. Can't say which RC Bearing distributor sells what...No garantees there.

I am very friendly with a bearing distributor allowing me the opportunity to test all above mentioned and at the end found one very interesting result is that one may out perform/last longer than the other.....it is virtually impossible keeping 100% dirt out of engine getting longevity we hope, especially in offroad racing. One cannot be too anal with removing dirt building up front bearing seal area along with filter maintenance.

RayAracing
TOOLING: http://www.rayaracing.com/prodtooling.htm
RayA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:38 PM   #32
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayA View Post
My experience with bearings with many types per many applications over the years has been with a very simple rule of thumb: #1 European manufactured bearings, #2 Japanese manufactured bearings, #3 USA manufactured bearings, #4 Taiwanese manufactured bearings. Can't say which RC Bearing distributor sells what...No garantees there.

I am very friendly with a bearing distributor allowing me the opportunity to test all above mentioned and at the end found one very interesting result is that one may out perform/last longer than the other.....it is virtually impossible keeping 100% dirt out of engine getting longevity we hope, especially in offroad racing. One cannot be too anal with removing dirt building up front bearing seal area along with filter maintenance.

RayAracing
this is where the novarossi front bearing #17011 comes into play

it has two shields in front of the balls that are offset towards the inside of the engine there is no better front bearing

and i am a big advocate for products that are just quality products , not necessarily a brand but quality. peters stuff is great and peter is a top notch guy , consider him a friend even .
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:46 PM   #33
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Peter is definitley a upstanding guy. It's amazing how small this industry really is. Tony screws, tko, mugen, losi just about everybody in the industry is or has a rep on this forrum. Best place for rc for sure.

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:03 PM   #34
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Peter is definately your prime time example of a great business man. I haven't been dealing with him for years but the short time I have been with him, it has been outstanding. I myself use all of his bearings in my engines and now started to use TKO bearings in my vehicle's driveline and for the money, I can't seem to find a better value. The double shielded steel bearings in my xray driveline are $.85 per bearing and I looked at them closely and they look very good and for the money, how can you beat it. While avid, acer, boca etc also have decent products, I just find that the products and customer service I receive from the guys at TKO keeps me from looking elsewhere and as long as I keep getting that service, I have no desire to jump ship anytime soon. I am not saying they are the best because I couldn't prove it otherwise, but from a business standpoint, they are #1 in my book. I get an average of 5 gallons out of their front bearings and the cost $15. A stock single shielded bearings costs an average of $25 and I am lucky to get 2 gallons out of one. That's a pretty good bargain if you think about it and whether they are the best or not, 5 gallons out of a front bearing in offroad environments is great no matter how you slice it.
PowerHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:04 PM   #35
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default thanks guys

So that's what I thought. The Nova bearings that aren't even ceramic are the best. My old p5 has the older single shield front bearing, I guess I should just send my engine in to you Houston and have you put a double front bearing seal and new rear bearing too. Maybe the double shield in front and a ceramic rear bearing, is that a good idea. My 367 engine had that double front bearing in it and it was fuel proof, fool proof too. I race on an old school style dirt track and it gets pretty dirty, but man I clean my buggy a lot, I'm obsessive compulsive it seems. Heck it saves me money keeping my buggy clean. Do you still have parts for the old p5 Monty?.....
Old 12-30-2009, 03:10 PM   #36
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by merdith6 View Post
So that's what I thought. The Nova bearings that aren't even ceramic are the best. My old p5 has the older single shield front bearing, I guess I should just send my engine in to you Houston and have you put a double front bearing seal and new rear bearing too. Maybe the double shield in front and a ceramic rear bearing, is that a good idea. My 367 engine had that double front bearing in it and it was fuel proof, fool proof too. I race on an old school style dirt track and it gets pretty dirty, but man I clean my buggy a lot, I'm obsessive compulsive it seems. Heck it saves me money keeping my buggy clean. Do you still have parts for the old p5 Monty?.....
lots and lots and lots of parts , the only real difference between the original release p5 and the newest p5xl is really the head . there are a few differences in the block but not from a performance standpoint. the piston/sleeve design hasn't really changed but there are 5 different versions of the 5 port(+2) . there are very minor crank improvenments that include lightening by reduction in material but really thats about it .

\
just lmk what you need merdith

monty
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
Old 12-30-2009, 03:14 PM   #37
wfo
Tech Adept

TKO ......
wfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:24 PM   #38
Tech Prophet

the title is " what are the BEST engine bearings?"

best= nova bearings
best value = tko bearings

there are cheap bearings out there also , be very careful what you put in your engine
Old 12-30-2009, 03:28 PM   #39
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

i beleive the nova/rex P5 uses the 14x25.4 rear bearing and the later nova P5X uses the 14x25.8,
monty will hook you up on the bearings.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:50 PM   #40
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

TKO are great bearings!!!

See you at the track.
janderson78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:08 PM   #41
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Cool

So if I'm weird and want my old p5 to keep truckin later on, even if I get the p5xls you got the stuff. Cool. I'd just hate to get the wrong bearing,crank or something that may kill my baby..... Yeah the bearings change with the p5x in the rear. thanks guys.....
Old 12-30-2009, 08:51 PM   #42
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by merdith6 View Post
So if I'm weird and want my old p5 to keep truckin later on, even if I get the p5xls you got the stuff. Cool. I'd just hate to get the wrong bearing,crank or something that may kill my baby..... Yeah the bearings change with the p5x in the rear. thanks guys.....
if its an X or a maX engine it has a 25.8mm rear main bearing and i am quite in tune with what bearings go in what engines

even non nova engines
Old 12-31-2009, 04:43 PM   #43
Tech Master

nothing better than an old engine with new bearings, ballistic! ...
pitpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:49 PM   #44
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitpop View Post
nothing better than an old engine with new bearings, ballistic! ...
ya baby!!!!

not necessarily old engine/new bearing thing

ready to race piston/sleeve set with new bearings
Old 12-31-2009, 05:08 PM   #45
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default !

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
ya baby!!!!

not necessarily old engine/new bearing thing

ready to race piston/sleeve set with new bearings
now thats the ticket
TOOLING: http://www.rayaracing.com/prodtooling.htm