R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-02-2010, 04:42 PM   #61
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzemaxx View Post
I myself started in Feb of this year and have been racing for less then a year, but have had great sucess so far with a little luck. My trick has been to sit and watch the fast guys line...then copy it. When I first started I would run the track the way I felt was the fastest and then watched the pro's run and they looked slower through some sections I thought I was faster at. But the clock never lies.......soon I duplicated what seemed to be a slower "looking" line, but on the clock it was faster. Also tires makes a HUGE difference. My 1st real wake up call on that was a race at a track here called Maddmaxx. I was running 5-6th place all day long and running mid pack lap times. Two of the local guys there, which are on this board came by and looked at my 8T 2.0. Gave me a set of tires, changed my ride height and all of a sudden the truck ran lap times with the top guys. Zixxer on this board and Shady3031 are the ones that pointed me in the right direction.
like jz said the best way to get faster is watch faster drivers ask questions but be carefull of who you listen to ..normally people that are faster have no problems telling you all about how to go faster tires and tires and tires and ummmm tires ...and suspension setup make th emost difference in my humble opinion ..but you know what opinions are like if you know what your car is doing but you dont knoe how to make it do what you want the attached pdf may help you on your way ....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf handling explained.pdf (35.9 KB, 74 views)

TEAM REDS RACING ENGINES USA
TEAM PROLINE-RACING
TEAM RC AMERICA/XRAY/HUDY
zixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 04:46 PM   #62
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzemaxx View Post
I myself started in Feb of this year and have been racing for less then a year, but have had great sucess so far with a little luck. My trick has been to sit and watch the fast guys line...then copy it. When I first started I would run the track the way I felt was the fastest and then watched the pro's run and they looked slower through some sections I thought I was faster at. But the clock never lies.......soon I duplicated what seemed to be a slower "looking" line, but on the clock it was faster. Also tires makes a HUGE difference. My 1st real wake up call on that was a race at a track here called Maddmaxx. I was running 5-6th place all day long and running mid pack lap times. Two of the local guys there, which are on this board came by and looked at my 8T 2.0. Gave me a set of tires, changed my ride height and all of a sudden the truck ran lap times with the top guys. Zixxer on this board and Shady3031 are the ones that pointed me in the right direction.
we should have never given you those tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABURTON View Post
THe first thing you would be suprised about is your car and how it's set up. I'm not saying that even if it was perfect you would be faster(could be your driving) but it would for sure help. It's practice, practice, and more practice...

But make sure what your doing is good, otherwise your just practicing bad habits, etc.

I own a shop in Birmingham Alabama. It's called the Speed Shop. We do work for some of the worlds fastest drivers and regular guys just like yourself. We have helped a bunch of people go faster and show them whats wrong that Could hinder lap times/performance. The Speed Shop is a Race Preparation shop. We can give you the same level of car that is raced by the top pros any given weekend.

Check out our thread, we have great refrences. I would be glad to get your car in and go over it for you. Making you a list of things that could be improved, etc.

My email is alanburton20@gmail.com

Thanks!

AB
send it in ..it will be like a pot of gold at the end of your rc rainbow

TEAM REDS RACING ENGINES USA
TEAM PROLINE-RACING
TEAM RC AMERICA/XRAY/HUDY
zixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:46 PM   #63
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by merdith6 View Post
It takes time. I immediately thought of gaining more steering in your truck. Try reducing your front caster for more low speed steering. Make your truck more aggressive. Put thicker center diff oil in it. It sounds like you drive a little cautious, and that's good so try to get your truck to turn in sharper and put a little more rear brake bias and loosen up a little on the front brake so it won't lock up on braking, so many racers tend to overlook that and push in the turn. Use the brakes early at the end of longer faster sections, and on the short slower turns brake in the turn to swing the truck around and most importantly get to the inside of the turn. Hug the pipe, then get on it hard to keep the outside guy behind you, he will try to outmotor you and get in front, don't let him, make him slow down or crash. you have to stay smooth, relax, and be smooth on the throttle, avoid ovrjumping landings. land on the landing jump and keep your truck settled for more taction. Avoid chainging setups all the time. Learn to drive what you have. Forget about guys whe show up with new engines and trucks every weekend. Don't be too nice, but avoid other trucks at all costs. Sometimes I let the ham fisted guys beat me on the start and tuck in behind them in front of the slower guys. then the speed demons all pile up and wreck in the first turn, slow down and drive around them into 1st or 2nd or even 3rd. Take a deep breath and relax and drive your own race, forget about the other guys. Drive smooth and avoid other drivers who tend to run into everyone and everything. If you have to slow down swerve or even stop, do it. No wrecks, but when you wreck it can throw you off your zone, so focus after a wreck on keeping your flow. With practice you will get back on track sooner after a wreck. Soon you will be winning races, or at least keeping up without spending a dime but on maintenance stuff....Good luck and keep at it. I've been racing for 20 years, and it's still so much fun, don't quit, keep on moving down the track........I hope this helps.
Listen to this guy
Blackjack 26
Aka: Deebo, Poppa Pump / Busted Knuckle Wheelin' / Henchmen Racing
dnebout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:49 PM   #64
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmo View Post
Alan Burton, What up dude? I am just getting back to racing up here in IL it has been 2 years. I hope to make it down to one of the big races in ATL or Bama.

Ok, I was always fairly fast and could make A-mains at some good regional races down south but never a top 3-4 guy. Here a few things that helped me turn the corner a few years ago and gain a lot of speed and consistantly one of faster guys at the good regional races.

1. Adjust your car to be extremely aggressive with much more rear break, you want your car to really get into corners and be able to slide the rear end if you want. No car is fast pushing its front end around the track I don't care what kind of racing it is.
2. When you practice drive your car like you stole it!! Throw it into the corners, whip the rear end around, practice way out of your comfort zone. You have to push the limits of your skill and the car, the car is capable its wether you can keep up. Pretty soon you will be keeping up and turning much fast laps.
3. Once you get into qualifying or a Main just back off a little, now you will feel like your are cruising, but turning some very fast laps.
this guy also. Practice like you stole the car at your LHS, then calm down during races and you'll feel smootheeeeee!
Blackjack 26
Aka: Deebo, Poppa Pump / Busted Knuckle Wheelin' / Henchmen Racing
dnebout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:09 PM   #65
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by banji View Post
Hi,
We just had a race on our local track, I didnít make it to the final, I was too slow. Actuly I never made it to the final.
My avg lap time is ~55 sec while all the drivers on the final have avg time of 50-51 sec.
I have one year of experience, I can now maintain my car well (no more DNO's). I also like my car setup, it is very easy drive and very stable.
I have the original XRAY XT8, all the drivers on the final have the new 09 XT8 and LOSI T 2.0 but I don't think the 5 sec are hidden on the car brand or type.

I do invest time on practice session every week but no major improvement.
Sometimes I think to go back to bashing and stop racing (even that is a lot of fun) , it might be my limited talent.
What is the best way to improve the lap time? any chance to get to the finals someday? Top 10 is enough for me
drive for fun, not winning. crash less, around here every time you wreck = 1 more main back you are, so if you wreck 3 times in your qualifiers you will be in the c-main. when i change a setup option i go completely in the different direction and see which one i liked better, to switch diff oil 1k or shock possitions 1 hole i would not even notice. if you go from 3k to 7k in the rear you can quickly tell which is better and find a mid point somewhere in between like 4k or 5k, 2nd hole or 4th hole and so on and so on. try to drive in practice as if it was a qualifier or main, same line, no wrecks and as little goofing around as possible, like backflips and stuff. and always drive cause its fun first, and worry about how you finish later.
AKA, Proline, Hotbodies Rubber
Elite Performance - HORRC.com
j_blaze14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:05 PM   #66
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by casevac View Post
one year of experience isnt too much, i would'nt quit it if not succseeding during the first year.

Patience, practice

Play with your setup a little, making just one small change at a time. Sometimes a car can feel "perfect" then you make a couple small adjustments to the setup and it really comes to life and you can feel it's faster and still drivable.
CanyonCarverR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:04 AM   #67
Tech Adept

1 yr. is still rookie territory, I'm 3 yrs in and still learning, (EVERY time I race!)
Every time you change something only change ONE thing at a time, or you
won't know which change help'd-hurt. Like DNEBUOT said, listen to these guys also. Now, for something I do that really helps me, (don't tell ! ). Practice at your track if possible, and bring a bud, with a stopwatch. Instead of just timing complete laps, break the track up in sections. Have him "hit" you at VERY specific start-stop points. Aproach every start-stop point at normal speed, following THROUGH the stop point by a good distance; you don't want to throw your rythm out of whack! At EACH section= TRY EVERYTHING!!!!-ex.- take the turn wide, nail the triple--next time, hug the pipe and double-single it! Do each section 1'st way 4-5 or 6 times, get an average--then try it the 2'nd way 5-6-times, and get the average. Keep which worx best. The difference in the 2 (or ?), will be VERY small, but they WILL add up!!! This may sound wierd, but it helped me GREATLY!--------- try-it
n.c.trigerhappy is offline   Reply With Quote