R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-28-2009, 07:33 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default AKA Tires?

Does AKA make any 1/2 offset premount truggy tire and wheel combo's? I've looked at a few online stores but all I see is o-offset. Of the AKA line up which do you guys prefer for a red clay blue groove track? I've been using Proline for ever and find that some premounts are so badly made that their almost unbalanceable, so I'm looking for something different>
reeltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:35 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeltech View Post
Does AKA make any 1/2 offset premount truggy tire and wheel combo's? I've looked at a few online stores but all I see is o-offset. Of the AKA line up which do you guys prefer for a red clay blue groove track? I've been using Proline for ever and find that some premounts are so badly made that their almost unbalanceable, so I'm looking for something different>
http://www.raceaka.com/tire_chart.php
Old 12-28-2009, 09:24 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Quote:
No 1/2 off set only "0" offset.

Red clay blue groove; My choice would be Medium Grid Irons for qualifiers and short mains up to 30 minutes unless hot outside. If longer go with Hards or Medium City Blocks.

AKA's are superbly balanced right out of the package.

www.trackstarrc.com ~ www.facebook.com/TrackStarRC ~ Home of the 2x's Stock Nationals Champion TS-Gold & TS-Black tire sauce, TS-1+ lubricants, TS-Precision bearings, XRG Xtreme Racing Grease, Scale Auto Engineering, ElevenTech, WRD2, Carbon 12, Stiff Products
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:59 AM   #4
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

imo AKA's are good for balance outta the package but NOT perfect by Any means.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:48 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

the AKA wheels crack on the truggy. all four wheels have cracks on them after one day of use and i didnt drive it any hard or rougher than normal. i have seen a good bit of people have the same problem. so now i use proline or losi wheels with AKA tires.
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:47 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaxey51 View Post
the AKA wheels crack on the truggy. all four wheels have cracks on them after one day of use and i didnt drive it any hard or rougher than normal. i have seen a good bit of people have the same problem. so now i use proline or losi wheels with AKA tires.
No issues here, all I run is AKA on my truggy. I do believe that they had some issues with the wheels cracking some time ago, but that has been resolved. If I remember correctly, AKA was swapping out cracked wheels for people.

For bluegrooved clay, I would either run grid irons or city blocks, compund would depend on surface temp.
pickle311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:33 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaxey51 View Post
I think you may have some Gen 1 wheels.

Contact AKA on the 4th as they are closed for the Holidays.

www.trackstarrc.com ~ www.facebook.com/TrackStarRC ~ Home of the 2x's Stock Nationals Champion TS-Gold & TS-Black tire sauce, TS-1+ lubricants, TS-Precision bearings, XRG Xtreme Racing Grease, Scale Auto Engineering, ElevenTech, WRD2, Carbon 12, Stiff Products
Old 12-29-2009, 04:07 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Like people have said. Right now there is only 0'' offset. And for the track condition and depending on the temperature I would go with medium gridirons. If you are running like 15 min mains and have lots of money softs with grip better but can also have to high of traction for some. If the race is for 30+min I would at least go with mediums and it the temps are high even hards. The balance on the AKA tires are really good compared to other but not perfect. Also for me and some others the AKA foams get better after about the 2-3 sets of tires on them. They get a softer and better for bumpier tracks.
shanty140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:35 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

man i wish i new that earlier but they are pre-mounts and i bought them earlier this sumer. but how long after you purchase them do you have till they wont replace them anymore? they cracked the first time i used them. i havent had any problems with my AKA buggy wheels though.
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:55 PM   #10
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
get the 1/2" wider hubs and run the 0" offset wheelsand use the chart as stated
dhunt488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:58 AM   #11
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Thanks everyone. I have narrow and wide hub sets so I can run either one on my RC8T. I also race a MT that I use 1/2 offsets on and would like to interchange them between trucks. I'm undecided on the compound tho, soft or medium, dew to the colder temps right know I'm leaning towards the softs.
reeltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:53 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Quote:
Thanks everyone. I have narrow and wide hub sets so I can run either one on my RC8T. I also race a MT that I use 1/2 offsets on and would like to interchange them between trucks. I'm undecided on the compound tho, soft or medium, dew to the colder temps right know I'm leaning towards the softs.
If you are below 80* go soft, if below 60* go super soft. Unless the surface you run on is abrasive, then go medium and soft respectively.