Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 08:47 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Oil?

Hey everyone I was reading a thing on the internet about breaking in RC nitro cars. It said that i should add oil even before I pull the pull cord for the first time.
Will i be able to use grear oil or some other type of oil besides nitro oil?
Old 12-18-2009, 09:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

im sure it meant after run oil...
Old 12-18-2009, 10:22 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

NO, do NOT use gear oil.

If your talking about after run oil, Marvel Mystery Oil, ATF, or my favorite, Mobil One Synthetic are all good.

For adding extra oil to the fuel for break-in, you need an oil that blends with alcohol. The best are castor oil or Klotz Techniplate synthetic.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:37 AM
Tech Rookie

No i am not talking about after run oil.
The video and artical said put oil in the top of the piston before you start doing any thing with the motor.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

are you talking about novarossi assembly oil? if so its not required you can use what wingracer said,its also what i use.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:41 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

ARO will work as assembly oil just fine.

Nitro kicks ass Its a wise idea to do this...but not 100% crucial....Just dont pull on the cord till your READY to start it for real.....Turning over a Brand new motor is never a good idea till you have a little heat on it and is primed with fuel.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
NO, do NOT use gear oil.

If your talking about after run oil, Marvel Mystery Oil, ATF, or my favorite, Mobil One Synthetic are all good.

For adding extra oil to the fuel for break-in, you need an oil that blends with alcohol. The best are castor oil or Klotz Techniplate synthetic.
sorry to hijack this thread but do i you need a synthetic ATF or the normal would be enuf?
Old 12-19-2009, 09:54 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

All most after run oils are is normal ATF. Some people say that the ATF after run oils can attack the silicone ramps in some crankshafts. I have never had this problem but just in case, I switched to Mobil One synthetic.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:47 PM
Tech Rookie

So let me get this straight.
I have a engine it is already assembled and I read some thing that said i sould put oil in the engine to lubracate it before i start doing any thing with it.
this is true?
Old 12-22-2009, 02:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

NO, do NOT use gear oil.

Originally Posted by helivaguy
are you talking about novarossi assembly oil? if so its not required you can use what wingracer said,its also what i use.
Originally Posted by Integra
ARO will work as assembly oil just fine.

Nitro kicks ass Its a wise idea to do this...but not 100% crucial....Just dont pull on the cord till your READY to start it for real.....Turning over a Brand new motor is never a good idea till you have a little heat on it and is primed with fuel.
All most after run oils are is normal ATF. Some people say that the ATF after run oils can attack the silicone ramps in some crankshafts. I have never had this problem but just in case, I switched to Mobil One synthetic.
If you can't figure it out from all that, well that engine isn't going to last too long....
Old 12-22-2009, 03:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nitro kicks ass
So let me get this straight.
I have a engine it is already assembled and I read some thing that said i sould put oil in the engine to lubracate it before i start doing any thing with it.
this is true?
Make it easier on ya NO!! AND NO!!! Just heat it up before starting and start it up the fuel will lubricate it.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Marvel Mystery Oil

I like marvel mystery oil for after run oil and after cleaning oil. Sure when an engine is new I always put 6-8 drops in through the carb and the exhaust hole and when I go to hit it on the starter box it has some extra lubrication to help it turn over. That's just common sense. I also lean out the low speed needle a bit to keep it runing and help it get started too. Not too much, maybe 2-3 hours. Good luck....
Old 12-22-2009, 10:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (90%+)

Originally Posted by JBURCH
Make it easier on ya NO!! AND NO!!! Just heat it up before starting and start it up the fuel will lubricate it.
There ya go there is your number one answer
Old 12-25-2009, 09:20 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by merdith6
I like marvel mystery oil for after run oil and after cleaning oil. Sure when an engine is new I always put 6-8 drops in through the carb and the exhaust hole and when I go to hit it on the starter box it has some extra lubrication to help it turn over. That's just common sense. I also lean out the low speed needle a bit to keep it runing and help it get started too. Not too much, maybe 2-3 hours. Good luck....
What kind of oil did you say that you used when a engine is brand new. the 6-8 drops of what kind of oil?
Old 12-25-2009, 10:00 AM
Tech Regular

before turning over a brand new engine on the starter box for the first time, i put in a few drops of castor oil through the glow plug hole and pre-heat it. plain simple

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.