R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-26-2009, 12:01 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Losi 8ight T won't start...Help!

Tank has 30% Odonnel nitro fuel. Flywheel matches up with starter box. When I push down on the glow starter, the flywheel engages and all of the wheels spin on the truck but it won't start. I took out the glow plug and it lights up bright orange in the glow starter. I also turned the car upside down with the plug out to see if I flooded it...nothing poured out. I pulled the fuel line from the engine and fuel poured out so I think it is getting fuel. I tried priming the engine by putting my finger over the muffler and that didn't help either. This is my first time starting a nitro car and I am out of ideas. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
-Scott
ncstater6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:19 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncstater6 View Post
Tank has 30% Odonnel nitro fuel. Flywheel matches up with starter box. When I push down on the glow starter, the flywheel engages and all of the wheels spin on the truck but it won't start. I took out the glow plug and it lights up bright orange in the glow starter. I also turned the car upside down with the plug out to see if I flooded it...nothing poured out. I pulled the fuel line from the engine and fuel poured out so I think it is getting fuel. I tried priming the engine by putting my finger over the muffler and that didn't help either. This is my first time starting a nitro car and I am out of ideas. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
-Scott

I don't think the wheels are suppose to spin on the box unless something's wrong with your clutch like sticking.
take it to the track and have experience racer help you out.

Last edited by az00lude; 12-26-2009 at 12:33 PM.
az00lude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:28 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Check your gear mesh.
Who8mySandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:33 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If it didnt get flooded or priming didnt help either, make sure that the needles low speed or high speed are not closed, I had that problem come to find out I had closed the high speed needle and forgot, sounds like your not getting fuel.
JBURCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:53 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBURCH View Post
If it didnt get flooded or priming didnt help either, make sure that the needles low speed or high speed are not closed, I had that problem come to find out I had closed the high speed needle and forgot, sounds like your not getting fuel.
I checked the needles and they didn't fix it. I also intentionally flooded the engine with a little fuel hoping to get a spark and it didn't help either.
ncstater6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 01:01 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Is this a brand new motor?
pickle311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 01:05 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Try another glow plug, if that does not work post a pic maybe its something obvious fuel line on right lol. Got me stumped
JBURCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 01:24 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

turn the idle screw
Werks Racing
Eagle7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 01:25 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up

i had same problem trying to start my new engine, it turned out the bottom end tuning screw was far from factory setting. Try messing with that a full turn at a time. thats all i did after a while and instantly started the car.
ACE DS1015-Throttle/Brake.
htcurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 01:26 PM   #10
Tech Initiate

Just how cold is it outside?
NochikenStrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 03:43 PM   #11
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Turn in both needles till they just stop. Turn them out 2.5 turns. Take the aircleaner tube off the carb. Turn in the idle screw until you have about a 2.5 mil. gap. Get a blow drier heat the motor up to about 150 degrees and try again. If it starts let it idle through a tank. Put the A/C tube back on carb fire it up again. Idle should still be fast. Start turning in idle screw out until you get a nice idle. Go run figure 8s for about 3 tanks letting it cool down in between runs. On the 5th tank start fine tuning .
hdcruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 04:05 PM   #12
Tech Rookie

what starter box do you have??what way are the wheels going?
Joe Brinduse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 04:38 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to kodiakbear7070

This is just a few of my ideas im new to this also and i have had similar trouble. First I pre heat the motor with a heat to about 215 f-220 f Then open the carb up a lil bit with ur controler u may ned someone there to help if it finaly hits and starts to run kind of rev up and down a lil bit but not to much u do to much u might break ur con rod. If does hit then more then likely u need to open ur idle screw up a shade go in 1/12th to 1/8th turns at a time until it fires up.

Second if u fill that thats not the problem then try ur low speed needle [LSN] set back if not a factory settings and lean it out 1/12th to 1/8th at a time until it fires up before doing this again pre heat that motor with a heat gun.

Like a guy told me with these motors ur going to get aggravated and want to pull them out pound them in the ground throw them back in and doit again.

Another thing to if your wheels is turning when u got it on the starter box then ur clutch is ingauged and that means its going to put a resistance on your motor and not want to start. I myself this was my first mistake big big one I had the clutch all muffed up and when I did finaly get it started it screamed to the top all wheels turnned sound like I had a bad carb leak.You name it. So I why u was looking things over I go ahead and pull that bell off and take a look the bell should slip on and off easy real easy and if you do decided to take it of watch for the shims looks like lil washers be very careful and watch how you take it off be sure that all shims is acounted for sometimes they will stick on the inside of the bell next to your bearing so when you pull the bell off look on the inside of it there may or may not be a shim there also.

Good luck
kodiakbear7070 is offline   Reply With Quote