R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Losi 8ight T won't start...Help! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/354843-losi-8ight-t-wont-start-help.html)

ncstater6 12-26-2009 12:01 PM

Losi 8ight T won't start...Help!

Tank has 30% Odonnel nitro fuel. Flywheel matches up with starter box. When I push down on the glow starter, the flywheel engages and all of the wheels spin on the truck but it won't start. I took out the glow plug and it lights up bright orange in the glow starter. I also turned the car upside down with the plug out to see if I flooded it...nothing poured out. I pulled the fuel line from the engine and fuel poured out so I think it is getting fuel. I tried priming the engine by putting my finger over the muffler and that didn't help either. This is my first time starting a nitro car and I am out of ideas. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
-Scott

az00lude 12-26-2009 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by ncstater6 (Post 6766771)
Tank has 30% Odonnel nitro fuel. Flywheel matches up with starter box. When I push down on the glow starter, the flywheel engages and all of the wheels spin on the truck but it won't start. I took out the glow plug and it lights up bright orange in the glow starter. I also turned the car upside down with the plug out to see if I flooded it...nothing poured out. I pulled the fuel line from the engine and fuel poured out so I think it is getting fuel. I tried priming the engine by putting my finger over the muffler and that didn't help either. This is my first time starting a nitro car and I am out of ideas. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
-Scott

I don't think the wheels are suppose to spin on the box unless something's wrong with your clutch like sticking.
take it to the track and have experience racer help you out.

Who8mySandwich 12-26-2009 12:28 PM

Check your gear mesh.

JBURCH 12-26-2009 12:33 PM

If it didnt get flooded or priming didnt help either, make sure that the needles low speed or high speed are not closed, I had that problem come to find out I had closed the high speed needle and forgot, sounds like your not getting fuel.

ncstater6 12-26-2009 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by JBURCH (Post 6766825)
If it didnt get flooded or priming didnt help either, make sure that the needles low speed or high speed are not closed, I had that problem come to find out I had closed the high speed needle and forgot, sounds like your not getting fuel.

I checked the needles and they didn't fix it. I also intentionally flooded the engine with a little fuel hoping to get a spark and it didn't help either.

pickle311 12-26-2009 01:01 PM

Is this a brand new motor?

JBURCH 12-26-2009 01:05 PM

Try another glow plug, if that does not work post a pic maybe its something obvious fuel line on right lol. Got me stumped

Eagle7 12-26-2009 01:24 PM

turn the idle screw

htcurt 12-26-2009 01:25 PM

i had same problem trying to start my new engine, it turned out the bottom end tuning screw was far from factory setting. Try messing with that a full turn at a time. thats all i did after a while and instantly started the car.

NochikenStrips 12-26-2009 01:26 PM

Just how cold is it outside?

hdcruzer 12-26-2009 03:43 PM

Turn in both needles till they just stop. Turn them out 2.5 turns. Take the aircleaner tube off the carb. Turn in the idle screw until you have about a 2.5 mil. gap. Get a blow drier heat the motor up to about 150 degrees and try again. If it starts let it idle through a tank. Put the A/C tube back on carb fire it up again. Idle should still be fast. Start turning in idle screw out until you get a nice idle. Go run figure 8s for about 3 tanks letting it cool down in between runs. On the 5th tank start fine tuning .

Joe Brinduse 12-26-2009 04:05 PM

what starter box do you have??what way are the wheels going?

kodiakbear7070 12-26-2009 04:38 PM

This is just a few of my ideas im new to this also and i have had similar trouble. First I pre heat the motor with a heat to about 215 f-220 f Then open the carb up a lil bit with ur controler u may ned someone there to help if it finaly hits and starts to run kind of rev up and down a lil bit but not to much u do to much u might break ur con rod. If does hit then more then likely u need to open ur idle screw up a shade go in 1/12th to 1/8th turns at a time until it fires up.

Second if u fill that thats not the problem then try ur low speed needle [LSN] set back if not a factory settings and lean it out 1/12th to 1/8th at a time until it fires up before doing this again pre heat that motor with a heat gun.

Like a guy told me with these motors ur going to get aggravated and want to pull them out pound them in the ground throw them back in and doit again.

Another thing to if your wheels is turning when u got it on the starter box then ur clutch is ingauged and that means its going to put a resistance on your motor and not want to start. I myself this was my first mistake big big one I had the clutch all muffed up and when I did finaly get it started it screamed to the top all wheels turnned sound like I had a bad carb leak.You name it. So I why u was looking things over I go ahead and pull that bell off and take a look the bell should slip on and off easy real easy and if you do decided to take it of watch for the shims looks like lil washers be very careful and watch how you take it off be sure that all shims is acounted for sometimes they will stick on the inside of the bell next to your bearing so when you pull the bell off look on the inside of it there may or may not be a shim there also.

Good luck