R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-25-2009, 08:18 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Dead zone in my steering

Ok. First off. M11 with hitec 7955 servo's in a mbx6 buggy.

My steering won't center properly. It actually has a 1 degree dead zone in it. If i put my car on my table and steer it left, the return is actually 1 degree off of the center it started from.

but,

if i go the other way it apears to come back to center. It does not matter which side i do first, (start from the left or the right)

if i get my hudy setup out and put it up on the stands I can just about split the difference of the lost 1 degree, so thier is a dead zone of 1. I thought it was my servo, but i have put in a several and i get the same result. If i pick my buggy up off the ground (with the rear tires on the ground) they seem to center. I marked my servo horn and my servo and the lines match up. So it's not the servo or the radio for that matter. All linkage is free, tried a new servo saver, replaced the bushings etc.

It's ticking me off because, i cannot get my steering throw, toe, camber right. It's very hard to split the difference and get all three to fall in line (camber, caster, toe).

Is this happening from the tires sitting on the table? Does the rubber on the tire give it enough resistance to not center properly?

I just wish i could pinpoint the problem so i could fix it. Has anyone ever had a radio or transmitter do this?

Does anyone have any advice on this at all?

Thanx and merry xmass!

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 08:31 PM   #2
Tech Prophet

no its just typical hitec servos not centering right i know from using the. cheaper diginal servos they make, i whould send it to get fixed my guess is that the part in the servo where, the pin is got worn down or something.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 08:36 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
no its just typical hitec servos not centering right i know from using the. cheaper diginal servos they make, i whould send it to get fixed my guess is that the part in the servo where, the pin is got worn down or something.
well it's pretty new, and when looking directly at the servo horn and servo, it's seems to me that it is returning properly. It's really aggravating trying to setup my car when it acts like this.

I have a JR servo i am going to try it out real quick.

Mugen
Old 12-25-2009, 08:39 PM   #4
Tech Prophet

do u have bad steering bearings or is your steering to tight and is the, steering saver to lose that will do it also.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:39 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

If u put in several different servos with the same results, then its the steering pod inside the radio.
Needs to be sent out for warranty service.

It happens, they do wear out. Sometimes just recalibrating.
alancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 08:50 PM   #6
Tech Elite

i just put in a old z265 JR servo with striped gears and a cracked case.

and it lines up perfectly!!!!!!! a 50$ servo!! and both of my hundred dollar servos (one brand new) are degrees off.

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

Now i am not happy for real. Sure they will fix it. But that could be a couple of weeks to get it back. And if all their servos do this, what makes me think it will get fixed or never happen again?

Mugen
Old 12-25-2009, 08:54 PM   #7
Tech Prophet

i feel u man that crap aggerated me with the hitec i was using on my 1/8, scale buggy for the steering try, driving one of them with the the servo not centering to left or the right, my did it on the left side .
Old 12-25-2009, 08:56 PM   #8
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 08:59 PM   #9
Tech Elite

It is so maddening because people will swear up and down from here to the moon that hitec is the best servos (especially the 7955, which i have 2 of). Yeah sure, if the damn thing breaks they will fix it. Just because shit last forever does not mean i want to buy some. I just want it to work properly. It is almost hard to believe that a hundred dollar servo wont center right.

I almost sent my radio back to manufacturing, because i thought is was not my hitec's. It turn out they all have the same dead zones. Baffeling

Should of bought jr.

Mugen
Old 12-25-2009, 09:01 PM   #10
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
It is so maddening because people will swear up and down from here to the moon that hitec is the best servos (especially the 7955, which i have 2 of). Yeah sure, if the damn thing breaks they will fix it. Just because shit last forever does not mean i want to buy some. I just want it to work properly. It is almost hard to believe that a hundred dollar servo wont center right.

I almost sent my radio back to manufacturing, because all my hitec's have the same dead zones. Baffeling

Should of bought jr.

+ 1 i agree with u on that.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:05 PM   #11
Tech Elite

It happens to all servo's sometime in there life .

possible cause's

1.worn gears
2.faulty trim switch inside the servo
3.narrow deadband
4.wide deadband

some manufacture's try and get the maximum performance out of there servo's like speed and torque and thats when the problem's start to appear.

narrow deadband = high performance but poor efficiancy once the gears wear then you have a major problem with hunting and centering ,sometimes the deadband needs to be set to a low instead of a high on the digital circuit

Wider deadband =lower performance but more efficiency

deadband needs to be perfect for a endless performing servo.
4th Floor, 3rd Building, KeLunTe Industrial Park, ShangLiLang, BuLan Road, LongGang District, ShenZhen, China
COBRARACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 09:10 PM   #12
Tech Elite

One of the servos is brand new, and one is olny a couple months old. I mean i put a jr servo in that was literally on it's last leg and it centered right. There is no play whatsoever in the gears.

so if i send it back they can re calibrate the circuit? How long does it usually take to get them back from hitec?

Mugen
Old 12-26-2009, 06:29 AM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Quote:
One of the servos is brand new, and one is olny a couple months old. I mean i put a jr servo in that was literally on it's last leg and it centered right. There is no play whatsoever in the gears.

so if i send it back they can re calibrate the circuit? How long does it usually take to get them back from hitec?
Since you have 2 7955's id try the other you have and see how it acts. It sounds more like a problem in steering assembly than a basically new 7955. All unless your experiencing a freak faulty(normally bombproof)7955
8&stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 08:53 AM   #14
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Quote:
My steering won't center properly. It actually has a 1 degree dead zone in it. If i put my car on my table and steer it left, the return is actually 1 degree off of the center it started from.

1-degree, for real?

so you're saying you can notice 1-degree on the track, or are you just being overly-anal on the set-up station?
justanotherdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:21 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Hitech

or any other servo that is digital has dead band issues sometimes. If you overtighten the servo saver screws, the two that hold the top plate on it will cause some binding and the servo will stop, but really every brand can wear the gears or case and fight to center, usually it twitches, but if your steering binds it can cause your problem. You said you have a mugen, well the pivot balls can bind and cause this same issue. Check and clean the pivot ball area and make sure to leave a little room for movement. Don't get me wrong I don't like hitech stuff, and the steering sevo centering issue is common in 1/8th scale racing. I replace a gear set after a while of racing and then the servo. I don't mind a little dead band in my steering, it doesn't hurt anything. It seems like your trying to measure too much with the setup board, and so on. It's off road, just make sure your car goes straight. In the end I like ace servos the 1313 is my favorite for steering in my 808. Futaba brushless for throttle. But most like the JR servos, they have always been great performance wise, but tend to die unexpectidly too, heck they all seem to. Good luck man. I feel your pain.
merdith6 is offline   Reply With Quote