Wiki Posts
Search

Which Engine out of these 2?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 02:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default what?

The bf engine is great. Quit downing the good stuff. I have heard great stuff about the alpha engines no doubt, but Italy makes good stuff, and a p5 is only 250, that's not expensive for a race engine. You can spend 150 for the bf to 310 for the toro, great range. The werks engines have been great too. There are lots of good engines out there......Jimmy....Wrong......
Old 02-13-2010, 03:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Why do these type of threads always end up like this ?

Yuppi asked about just 2 types of engines !

It then turns into a slanging match about other engines mentioned, wich he wasn't asking about any way !

Old 02-13-2010, 06:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Flanno

It then turns into a slanging match about other engines mentioned, wich he wasn't asking about any way !

I agree. Someone always comes on, ignores the question completely, and lets everyone know what "they" run. "run what I run, cuz it's the best"

It all starts with one person coming on, and slamming one of the mfg's. I'd say if you cannot comment on the choices mentioned, with personal experiences, push on to the next thread. Your not helping the person with their question.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by yuppi1
I am wondering which engine you would choose for your 1/8th buggy out of these 2

Team Losi 8ight 2.0 350 engine motor .21

or

Alpha 5port .21 bump start engine

any help would be great. I am going to buy one of these engines just dont no which one.

cheers
I dont know about the Alpha but we ran the 350 last year, in its stock form it was an ok motor, but add the turbo button and an re11 pipe and wow. it really wakes up this motor. With a good tune it's a great club motor....
Old 02-14-2010, 01:09 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

thanks guys for your back up!

just to let everyone no i have purchased a alpha z852 with a 2035 pipe. and just to say one thing this engine F@#$*@g RIPS!!!!

cheers guys
Old 02-14-2010, 01:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

thanks for all replies

I can get the losi motor for $199 australian and the alpha for $190

Also which pipe would i run with this motor?

this will be my first race engine and first season racing

cheers
have heard nothing but good things about the alpha motors

Originally Posted by itsshemp
I have personally ran the Losi 350, and now the Alpha F850 (5 port). The Losi ran better than I had expected, but lacked power that I am used to. Run time was about 7.5 minutes. Mine was running the stock head button, but you can add the turbo button which I hear helps.

The Alpha F850 is a different animal. Power is amazing, and run time is an easy 9+. 10+ with a good tune, and pipe. Power delivery with the F850 is very smooth.

Do some research on both. There is plenty of info out there. Alpha is new to the market, so of course there are some hesitations by some, but I have been watching them, and now run one. I am personally very happy I chose the Alpha, and will be running the s852 in my truggy.

Good luck with your research.
Seems more good review of the alpha motor

Originally Posted by Flanno

exactly just answers the guys question

thanks guys for your back up!

just to let everyone no i have purchased a alpha z852 with a 2035 pipe. and just to say one thing this engine F@#$*@g RIPS!!!!

cheers guys
Good to hear i am looking into an alpha but i have an os 2060 pipe and not sure how it would work with the alpha motor
Old 02-14-2010, 01:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Good to hear i am looking into an alpha but i have an os 2060 pipe and not sure how it would work with the alpha motor[/QUOTE]

Im only pretty new to the sport so couldnt tell you bout that pipe with the alpha but ask on the alpha thread and they will answer you. At our race meet today there were six new alpha z852
Old 02-14-2010, 08:22 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

The alpha engines contuine to suprise me. You will like te alpha engine and espically for the $$. I was cornering last weekend and Ryan Lutz was working his magic around this small indoor track. The way that alpha engine ideled right down after ripping hard downtue straight was very impressive. Most engines tuned to kill don't quite do it that fast. Let us know what you think of your new engine.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:59 AM
Tech Adept

Good choice!!

I run an S852 in my truggy and even though it has massive pinch still, it absolutely flies.

Forget the Team Orion crowd, they are just bitter cause they spent loads on an italian motor and someone from the Far East brought out a quicker, quality motor and had the cheek to use the name Alpha Plus.

I think the results form the Worlds warm up speak for themselves
Old 02-14-2010, 01:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Flipfly
Good choice!!

I run an S852 in my truggy and even though it has massive pinch still, it absolutely flies.

Forget the Team Orion crowd, they are just bitter cause they spent loads on an italian motor and someone from the Far East brought out a quicker, quality motor and had the cheek to use the name Alpha Plus.

I think the results form the Worlds warm up speak for themselves
couldnt agree more with this statement
Old 02-14-2010, 04:15 PM
Tech Elite

I have the Losi 350 with turbo button and RE11. Until today I wasnt really happy with it; I had great top end but I just wasnt getting any punch. I have an engine on the way so I decided to lean out the bottom by almost a half turn. Holy crap, what a difference. I ended up leaning out the top by about an hour as well. It was running great! I wasnt able to get any practice laps in and the main was only 10 mins so I dont really know what I'm doing for runtime now (got 8:03 before I leaned out the bottom and top) but I'm guessing it will run close to 9 minutes now.

If you have to pick up a pipe regardless of which motor you choose, the Losi will do just fine (placed second in expert buggy today). I have no experience with the other. The turbo button is cheap and well worth the money. I am extremely pleased with the 350 now (wasnt prior to today) that I got a good tune on it. Oh, ran 242 after the main.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I think when the poster asks about the Alpha, i am sure he means Alpha Plus. you know, the motor that just won the pre-worlds race.

Alpha plus is the best motor of the options, and better then many motors not in your options.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:55 PM
Tech Regular

just remember guys it was just a warm up that don't count your chickens yet.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:54 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mp9er
just remember guys it was just a warm up that don't count your chickens yet.
The fact that it was a warm up means little. The point is that the engine performed very well amongst a field of high dollar engines.