R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-24-2009, 09:45 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Default newbies flailing in the pits

tuesday my son and I were at Hobbytown USA in Tucson playing around with our mini E-Revos and we saw this guy in the pits who had the "please help me " look on his face. He was a very nice guy who had just bought a Losi Aftershock monster truck (nitro) there at the hobby shop that day. The hobby shop people sold him the truck, also sold him a glow-plug igniter, an Onyx battery charger and a bottle of byrons 30% fuel (truck's instructions call for 20%) The newbie had no idea how to use any of it and when he went inside to ask they told him they were too busy to help him. What a bunch of asses!. When you sell a self-confessed newbie something like that you should at least show him the basics. My son and I helped him charge his RX pack and we borrowed a glow plug igniter from the shop because his takes at least 8 hours to charge. We helped him start and break in the motor and then he drove it slow at first to continue the break in. We showed him how to use the charger and also told him that 30% fuel will work for now but will be kinda fat for the long run and recommended he use 20% after this gallon was gone. It just pisses me off that the hobby shop would sell this guy an entire package and not give him one bit of advice at all. We also told him about this forum so he could ask more questions that come up
****RUSH****
elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:51 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

my local hobby shop does that to a lot of the "noobies of the hobby" especially when there are actual racers and pros in the shop at the time. that makes me really mad. when i first got into the hobby i was one of those people that got treated unfair till i started racing 1/8scale stuff. but that was nice of you and your son to help him. we need more people in this sport like you guys lol. i mean i know 85% of the people in this hobby are extremely nice and helpful but theres that small fraction that u run into at every race or hobby shop.

Serpent - Desoto Racing - Picco - AKA - Hitec - RC Addictions Products - Tekin - VRP - Avid RC - SMC - MIP - SkipGear - The Ohio RC Factory
Quad Racer 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:57 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Thats a shame both my local hobbie shops will help anyone out and if they cant they will ask someone with the know how to help them i guess thats the difference in a little shop versus a big chain that dont wont nothing but your money and you and your son might have made that guys christmas just by helping him good job guys.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:58 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkman View Post
tuesday my son and I were at Hobbytown USA in Tucson playing around with our mini E-Revos and we saw this guy in the pits who had the "please help me " look on his face. He was a very nice guy who had just bought a Losi Aftershock monster truck (nitro) there at the hobby shop that day. The hobby shop people sold him the truck, also sold him a glow-plug igniter, an Onyx battery charger and a bottle of byrons 30% fuel (truck's instructions call for 20%) The newbie had no idea how to use any of it and when he went inside to ask they told him they were too busy to help him. What a bunch of asses!. When you sell a self-confessed newbie something like that you should at least show him the basics. My son and I helped him charge his RX pack and we borrowed a glow plug igniter from the shop because his takes at least 8 hours to charge. We helped him start and break in the motor and then he drove it slow at first to continue the break in. We showed him how to use the charger and also told him that 30% fuel will work for now but will be kinda fat for the long run and recommended he use 20% after this gallon was gone. It just pisses me off that the hobby shop would sell this guy an entire package and not give him one bit of advice at all. We also told him about this forum so he could ask more questions that come up
Great Job Elkman thats what this hobby needs, more people like that. I was there a while back and was to proud to ask questions. Guess I had the same look.
JBURCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:06 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

This is what Team Terribles was formed for... to promote the hobby and help the noobs.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:22 AM   #6
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Quote:

nice job elkman.
but in defense of the hobby shop - this is really a DOY/do-it-yourself hobby, and if hobby shops had to take the time to lead every newbie by hand that was already in over their head by buying a nitro as their first RC, it would be like car dealerships running driver's ed classes. it's also why all the RCs I've seen come with an extensive set of instruction sheets, so you take it home and study up and learn. i don't work at a hobby shop, but I can just imagine the cluster it would cause.
justanotherdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:42 AM   #7
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

What about the Customer service thing? He just spent $800 and then got ignored..I dont think Car dealers sell cars to people with no drivers license. They really didnt need to take hours to show him how to operate it, but a little push in the right direction like, Go online and learn this, or read the instructions before you do anything..would have been nice IMO
Old 12-24-2009, 11:01 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherdude View Post
nice job elkman.
but in defense of the hobby shop - this is really a DOY/do-it-yourself hobby, and if hobby shops had to take the time to lead every newbie by hand that was already in over their head by buying a nitro as their first RC, it would be like car dealerships running driver's ed classes. it's also why all the RCs I've seen come with an extensive set of instruction sheets, so you take it home and study up and learn. i don't work at a hobby shop, but I can just imagine the cluster it would cause.
If they aren't going to do anything but "sell" the stuff, then they aren't needed because I can buy it all online for less... Is that what they want in the end??? I personally don't need their help but I've been doing this for longer than most of them have been alive, but others DO need the support and SHOULD be able to get it.

I'm in Tucson and this is very disappointing to me.

T-RCE Slash 4x4 - Kyosho SC-R - TLR 22

Think you're fast? Try racing in Arizona, it's like going to the Nats every weekend...
trx-1racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:04 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
What about the Customer service thing? He just spent $800 and then got ignored..I dont think Car dealers sell cars to people with no drivers license. They really didnt need to take hours to show him how to operate it, but a little push in the right direction like, Go online and learn this, or read the instructions before you do anything..would have been nice IMO
I think Jaz is right on the money. I wasn't there for the conversation so i won't judge what the shop did or didn't say. They def owe anyone who buys a full set up a certain amount of coaching.
I am coming back into the sport for the first time in 15 years. I am for all intents and purposes' a noob. When i make my purchase at a LHS I am buying there not because its cheaper but because i have a place i can go in case i have questions. A place to get "customer service".

I believe customer service is a lost art anymore. Rarely do you see it these days. A few corporations like the major hotel chains and Chick Fil A actually care about customer service and it shows.

Additionally I must say as people who love the sport and want it to grow, we also need to take responsibility in this area. When we have someone new come along, we should confidently walk up and introduce ourselves and see if we can offer them any help. Elkman did exactly what anyone of us should do, because of that, the gentleman will have a positive outlook on R/c rather than get pissed because he can't make his truck work. When he shows his buddies the truck zipping across the yard, they are gonna want one too. Suddenly one truck turns into 3. Bam, we are growing!

I will brag on one of your very own, Misfitz28 (shaun) offered to find me a truck to race this coming weekend so i could come out and see the track and get to experience SCT racing before i made my purchase!
THAT is HUGE, why you might ask? Well i am not sure i want to drop $500 bucks on a SCT truck/electronics, after sunday i will know for sure, and probably be hooked!

These type things are what are going to make R/C grow and surpass anything of the past!

(stepping off the soap box now)
Kyosho SCR#86
My Kyosho Stable:Ultima *RB5-sp*Ultima SC-R*Ultima Stadium truck*
Jesus Christ Follower
Hotshotrc.com
Ghostrider86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:10 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Quote:
That is the main reason Chris Vierra and I started Track Star....

www.trackstarrc.com ~ www.facebook.com/TrackStarRC ~ Home of the 2x's Stock Nationals Champion TS-Gold & TS-Black tire sauce, TS-1+ lubricants, TS-Precision bearings, XRG Xtreme Racing Grease, Scale Auto Engineering, ElevenTech, WRD2, Carbon 12, Stiff Products
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:19 AM   #11
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

good job Elkman

this is a all to common problem I to had this same experience when
I got my first nitro buggy. I was just shooting in the dark the sales guy
was like the head guy at the shop (biggest in town) and had no input or guidance on any thing! and it was not till I got to the track that I got help. thanks to now my fellow racers. and yet all the shops would like us to support them. they are the front line of your addiction and they do nothing to help them selves but seat and bitch that we don't support them. not all but most I don't know what my point really is other than
GOOD GOING Elkman
cary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:25 AM   #12
Tech Elite

And people honestly wonder why the rc community is relatively small....

Go to toys r us, pick up the kid a $100 car for Christmas and it lasts 2 weeks, breaks, and you pitch it. But it was a lot of fun.....

Go to a hobby store, get pitched that the parts are replaceable, get sold something, and figure it out on your own type of deal....

It is unfortunate that that happened to that customer and I hope he comes to this forum and many others and gets the help a new person deserves.

The sad part is that maybe his kid is the next Jerod Tebo or maybe he is the next me. You never know. But odds are that he will get frustrated, sell it on ebay for dirt to one of us and find a different hobby such as fishing or motocross racing or something inbetween.
Semi-Retired from this industry at this time.
hakmazter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 12:05 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

elkman ......you totaly rock.....this is an awsome hobby,any one that takes a mans money that wants to be part of our comunity and shows him the door...is a worthless piece of sh#t in my book...and I hope santa brings im a lump of dog s%@t for christmas.....and I hope the man does join the forum so he can see we are a welcoming group....pardon my french...that just stuck in my craw.....
streetfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 12:06 PM   #14
Tech Initiate

Hmm...sounds alot like me back then. But i took the inititive to research online for a few hours before doing anything. I figured i can read faster than what the fat piece of shit salesman can talk. Plus he didn't know anything. He sold me nitro for airplanes and said it would be ok because thats the only nitro they had. I had to return it, drive an hour to the next nearest hobby store to get correct fuel.
NochikenStrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:30 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have had so so expieriences with hobby usa. Biggest gripe is they never have what i want. And since they are a chain, they could give a shit.

Now my primary hobby shop, is privately owned. But i am gonna tell you that can be good and bad. When i was a noob, i bought my mbx6 there. Well i had a picco .26 that was a good motor. Well i brought it to him to tune it. He did not let it warm up, he then started leaning it out big time and doing passes at wot. Well he threw a rod. And of course said he could not be responsible.

Well wouldn't ya know, he was right there with the "perfect engine" for my mugen (vspec). He then proceeded to tell me the 086 was the perfect pipe for my motor Yeah i bought it. He also sold me 3 different chargers instead of one. I did not know any better at the time, and whats worse is, everytime i would go there for advice he would just ignore me. And how nice is it that he would not check the tune on my vspec that i bought from him. I would venture to guess that is because he knows he sold me the wrong pipe and did not want me to see him actually tune it "right".

I hate that sumbitch, but he does have ALOT of the stuff that no one carries and has byrons and nobody else does. And lots of spares for my bugy, but i mostly order online anyway.

People like that should not be able to have children. Seriously, i was amazed at the amount of stuck up people in the sport. It's a toy car for christ sake. I will go very far out of my way to help people. I cannot stand mean and stuck up people. I just don't understand it. I was not brought up that way.

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote