R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-25-2009, 09:13 PM   #46
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neu_Racer View Post
First of all, if you can't solder WTF are you doing working in a LHS, and what happened to free solder on plugs you buy from them? It takes 30 seconds and .10 worth of material. Why charge $5? I will never again step foot in one of those shops.
if you can't solder what are you doing RCing?

never heard of "free solder on plugs"

there's an old business expression you might want to follow,
"if you don't charge people for something they won't do themselves, you won't be in business long"
justanotherdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 05:46 AM   #47
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
I have a rule. RTB. Read the book.

If you've read your radios manual, then I'll help you tune it. Don't waste my time with " How do you set expo?" questions. At least show some effort to figure it out first.

Read the darn instructions so at least your close enough to figure out what I'm trying to tell you.
+1000 i am a tech at a auto dealer. its like have you even looked at your manual. lots of good stuff in there.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:36 AM   #48
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I stopped in the Hobbytown usa in Orland Park IL. about a year ago. A guy was in there with his monster truck he bought there saying he kept stripping spur gears. The employee said their was nothing he could do and that it always happens and he should consider a new truck. I couldn't believe my ears. The customer walked out disgusted. I caught him and told him to go to Leisure hours hobby,where they actually helped me when new.
Haven't been back to hobbytown since.
triple7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 06:37 PM   #49
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default You guys make me laugh.

I'm reading though this thread and have to put my two cents in. When I'm at the track, I try and help the newbies as much as I can. Most of my experience has been that I truely think that people don't completely understand what they are getting themselves into. It's easy for someone to sit trackside and say "I can do that".

My favorite question is "I can't get motor to run right". Once you tell them that this motor is not your lawn mower's Briggs & Stratton and you have to learn how to tune, the fear in their eyes is priceless. It's obvious that they just want to start the R/C and hit the track.

I don't mind giving a helping hand but please newbies, make an effort.
CADPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 07:34 PM   #50
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to savage.25

when i bought my savage from my LHS they were the same... they sold me the shit and then didnt show me how to operate it.. luckily i had some people that were in the hobby already so they showed me everything i needed to know.

elkman good job!!!
savage.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:36 AM   #51
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default help people

i use to see this a lot in my area, if you were not a racer then you were on your own. luckily i know a lot of them now and get the advice i need exspecially on race day. just came back from leisure hours in joliet and must say the best experiance i have had! nice guys to race with and great support at the hobby shop. i will be back!
delane74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:31 AM   #52
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I must say our Hobby Shop is pretty good about helping out.. the Store manager will tell ya when he'll have time and take you out and teach you how to tune.. Pretty cool, I must say..

When I got into racing I was overwhelmed. I bought an RTR Jammin CRT-X1. I thought I could whoop anyone, until I got to the track. I was so in over my head, but the worst part is I didn't even know it. I raced one race that year, and pretty much gave up..

About 9 months later I decided I needed to either sell the Jammin or figure it out. So I found Truggy Racers (RIP), and learned all I could about the set up of a Jammin. I got an awesome radio, good servos, and was on my way.. 2 years after my first race I decided it was time to go racing. While i was still in over my head, this time I knew it and found a few guys to help keep my head above water.. 1 guy I worked with helped me a ton that first season. I got to where I was running consistant, even if it wasn't in the elite. I met alot of people that first season, and most are still good friends. One of the local pros lives in the same area as me and has helped me out in more ways then just racing. He is truely a genuinely good guy, and I would do about anything to help him out, because he has done the same for me.. 2011 will be my 3rd season racing, and I am starting to come into my own. Still learning set-up, but aren't we always.. Hoping this is my break-out year.

If not for a good LHS and the Support of awesome people in the RC hobby I would have given up at my 2nd race, and never looked back.. As it is I am entering my 3rd season, and on my 10th or so vehicle and looking forward to hangin wth my track homies, and burning some nitro..

I guess my point of that was to show that while what Elk did was rare in our time, it is acctually common in our hobby. Which is a good thing.. Kudos Elk, I'm glad that U and others in the hobby like you are here..