Wiki Posts
Search

Revo

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 09:46 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)
Default Revo

My Freind Just bought the new revo 3.3 and was wondering what method he should use to break it in i told him the way i do it is let it sit on a box idling for like 1hour ish it has always worked for me ! or should he do it the traxxas way ?
Old 12-23-2009, 04:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Here's what Monty posted in one of the threads:

ENGINE RUN IN

use a heat gun to heat to 200 before you start at each step

You will have to play with the needles a little bit and cover the head of your engine with a pit rag (or similar)

do 3 heat cycles within the first tank at 190-210 degrees (3-5 min. intervals),
at idle on stand? yes.

then run it around on the ground gently only slightly rich keeping the temp between 210-230 (monitoring temps frequently ) careful not to let the engine get into its powerband , do this for about 1 full tank at a time but do not let it run out of fuel .do this for 3 tanks (cooling in between tanks), quarter throttle or so with short blips of more (full) throttle ..

not fast? slow pulls on the throttle in 30-40ft bursts .

then richen the needles a bit and run it about 190-210 on the track for 3 straight tanks monitoring temps frequently(every 2 laps) for the first couple of minutes until the engine runs at a consistent temp and feel.(start to lean out slowly)when you get it tuned in to where its not totally screaming but you have enough power to make the jumps with a slight bog at full throttle and runs at about 210-230, let it cool

(check the plug at this point),

what am I looking for exactly on the plug ? make sure the plug still glows and looks new, if it looks all distorted pull it out as you dont want a plug filament to go through the engine

go out and run the rest of the gallon til the engine richens up dramatically on its own and the temp drops instantly (i call it "dropping its nuts"). this process sometimes takes more than a full gallon .hope this helps ya , pretty detailed
Old 12-23-2009, 04:49 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

thanx you ill let him know im hangin wid him on sat so im gonna do the break in for him
!