R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-22-2009, 07:59 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Losi Ten-T

I figured I could start a thread on this model I picked up today.

Break-In:
I ran the engine through 1 tank on a stand and then ran it very lightly up and down my street and then ran a final tank through it. I have no clue if I am doing this right at all....any advice?

Brakes:
I have another n00b question. I assume that having the two brake disks and adjusters allows me to adjust brake bias? And if so, what is the typical target for most folks? I would think you would want 50/50 or a slight front bias for normal driving for better control?

I understand that if I am racing I would tune it for the track (more rear bias on a tight track when I need to brake oversteer, etc.) I assume you can get some awesome trail-braking going and with far less at risk than in real life.

I assume I turn on my radio and receiver and then turn the thumb wheels until I start getting tension. Obviously if I want more rear bias I tighten that one a little extra and then loosen the front equally, right?

I am basing the above on what I know from racing real cars in real life. I have never raced a R/C car in my life, but I might try it.
Losi Ten-T: 7/7/2, Kingpin tires, optional Losi Springs, Spektrum DX3S
Nor-Cal Hobbies: Union City, CA
Grimlock212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:13 PM   #2
Tech Prophet

for the break in just follow what the losi, manuel tells u to do there pretty good at giving good info.

as for the brake bias i usually run more rear brake. then the front just a little brake on the front, i tried more front then rear and to me it seems to make u, lose your rythem and steering also. when your racing it does

just dont set the brake bias where. the front or rear brake locks up,
just enough were it slows it down. i woudnt worry about that intil your engine, is broken in though.

the manuel that losi gives u tells u how to set the brake bias and throttle linkage up.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:19 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
for the break in just follow what the losi, manuel tells u to do there pretty good at giving good info.
Who is Manuel? Does he work for Losi?

Actually Losi officially says that this engine needs ZERO break in. I am trying to be extra careful and break it in even it they don't ask me to do it.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:20 PM   #4
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlock212 View Post

Actually Losi officially says that this engine needs ZERO break in. I am trying to be extra careful and break it in even it they don't ask me to do it.

sorry i meant the manuel that losi gives you with the ten-t

no break in on the engine that doesnt sound right .
Old 12-22-2009, 08:28 PM   #5
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
sorry i meant the manuel that losi gives you with the ten-t

no break in on the engine that doesnt sound right .

MANUAL

Quote:

That's pretty funny right there.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:39 PM   #6
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
I figured I could start a thread on this model I picked up today.

Break-In:
I ran the engine through 1 tank on a stand and then ran it very lightly up and down my street and then ran a final tank through it. I have no clue if I am doing this right at all....any advice?

Brakes:
I have another n00b question. I assume that having the two brake disks and adjusters allows me to adjust brake bias? And if so, what is the typical target for most folks? I would think you would want 50/50 or a slight front bias for normal driving for better control?

I understand that if I am racing I would tune it for the track (more rear bias on a tight track when I need to brake oversteer, etc.) I assume you can get some awesome trail-braking going and with far less at risk than in real life.

I assume I turn on my radio and receiver and then turn the thumb wheels until I start getting tension. Obviously if I want more rear bias I tighten that one a little extra and then loosen the front equally, right?

I am basing the above on what I know from racing real cars in real life. I have never raced a R/C car in my life, but I might try it.
Quote:

as for the brake bias i usually run more rear brake. then the front just a little brake on the front, i tried more front then rear and to me it seems to make u, lose your rythem and steering also. when your racing it does

just dont set the brake bias where. the front or rear brake locks up,
just enough were it slows it down. i woudnt worry about that intil your engine, is broken in though.

the manuel that losi gives u tells u how to set the brake bias and throttle linkage up.
if you are racing you want more front brake, typically you want 60/40. there are only a few people i know that run more rear, this will give you a drifting affect but its not controlled(most of the time) I used run 40/60 and slide around corners sorta like ryan luts does but i recently switched to 60/40 and it took getting used to but im more consistent in corners now.

the 1/10 scale is practically the same as the 1/8 scale. On the center diff you want .020-.030 of clearance between the brake disc and the brake pads. To adjust brake bias there are 2 blue knobs on the throttle linkage, you turn these clockwise and counter clockwise to adjust the bias. The top one if for the front and bottom is for the rear.

here is a link you should read. its on the 1/8th scale but it will transfer over to the 1/10 scale. its shows you how to do brakes on page 3

http://losi.com/ProdInfo/Files/LOS_T...ke_Linkage.pdf

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:43 PM   #7
Tech Prophet

i race its just to me though having more front brake for me it feels like i lose some steering , but i know it depends on the track condiction also.

yea having more in the rear does make the rear slide more .
Old 12-23-2009, 09:54 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Danny B

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6WHGXq5nfA

watch that video,

IMO, if you are just bashing set the brakes at a 50/50 bias, if you are going to race the truck, start with a 40/60 feel. 60 being the rear...and make small adjustments from there, I usually get the front set and forget it, then just make small adjustments to the rear depending on what the car/truck/track need
Danny B R/C Products,
LRT Raceway, Evansdale, IA
Danny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:29 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi_racer View Post
if you are racing you want more front brake, typically you want 60/40. there are only a few people i know that run more rear, this will give you a drifting affect but its not controlled(most of the time) I used run 40/60 and slide around corners sorta like ryan luts does but i recently switched to 60/40 and it took getting used to but im more consistent in corners now.

the 1/10 scale is practically the same as the 1/8 scale. On the center diff you want .020-.030 of clearance between the brake disc and the brake pads. To adjust brake bias there are 2 blue knobs on the throttle linkage, you turn these clockwise and counter clockwise to adjust the bias. The top one if for the front and bottom is for the rear.

here is a link you should read. its on the 1/8th scale but it will transfer over to the 1/10 scale. its shows you how to do brakes on page 3

http://losi.com/ProdInfo/Files/LOS_T...ke_Linkage.pdf
I assume you are saying .02 -.03 clearance while the servo is in the neutral position? Could you explain exactly what you mean by these measurements.

I definitely figured out how to adjust the front and rear brakes, I just wasn't sure what I should be setting them up to do.

Thanks again for the advice!
Old 12-24-2009, 09:50 AM   #10
Tech Regular

The manual actually says that the engine needs zero break in period.

The good news is the engine in mine was bad and is now being warrantied by Losi/my hobby shop. But they said I might be waiting 2 weeks!
Old 12-26-2009, 10:53 AM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default ????

I just got one for x-mas and I'm wondering are more planning on backyard bashing or racing the 10T
Futaba 8fg
Align 3gx
fire929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:35 AM   #12
Tech Prophet

i dont know if it will create a class, for them at a offroad track, all it takes is 2 people running them during a open practice and spark intrest.

to me it looks like it would be a fun class dont know if it should be a open, class or a box stock class if there was enough to have a class.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:49 AM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Default I agree

looks like a contender, Losi didn't make it for fun.
Futaba 8fg
Align 3gx
Old 12-26-2009, 12:20 PM   #14
Tech Regular

Some people have mentioned tracks offering a bone-stock Ten-T class. My local track didn't plan on one yet.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:38 PM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Unhappy just hope

The 8ight T isn't to popular that people don't give it a chance. I have looked at numerous roar videos and I cannot find any supported 10th scale 4wd pro races
Futaba 8fg
Align 3gx