R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-08-2010, 08:14 AM   #46
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron joy View Post
Please try a different plug. Even thou the plug may light up out of the engine with a regular ignitor ( like the one we tested ) it could glow differently in the engine. If you are only running 20% try a hotter plug with a McCoy #59 hot plug. Where are you located?
I am located in the Oakland, CA area. I am reading that I should change to either the McCoy #59 or the A3 plug. Does anyone know the difference? I am leaning toward the A3 plug simply because my last name is Hatfield
speedsterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:25 AM   #47
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsterp View Post
I am located in the Oakland, CA area. I am reading that I should change to either the McCoy #59 or the A3 plug. Does anyone know the difference? I am leaning toward the A3 plug simply because my last name is Hatfield
I live in Palo Alto, and I switched to the A3 and it runs like a champ now. Since we live so close, I would try what is running on mine.
Losi Ten-T: 7/7/2, Kingpin tires, optional Losi Springs, Spektrum DX3S
Nor-Cal Hobbies: Union City, CA
Grimlock212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:56 AM   #48
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlock212 View Post
I live in Palo Alto, and I switched to the A3 and it runs like a champ now. Since we live so close, I would try what is running on mine.
Grimlock212 I tried out the A3 plug and it worked out great thanks. The Ten-T is finally driving around. I drove it around twice last night, but the temp stayed in the 104 range. Figure I need to lean it out some to elevate the temps to the 190 range correct. Do you just lean out low and high.

Also I used the hand ignitor to start as the losi wire for the glow plug will not fit onto the A3 glow plug. How did you go about getting this to fit, I assume you stretched open the coil wires.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:07 PM   #49
Tech Regular

Quote:
Grimlock212 I tried out the A3 plug and it worked out great thanks. The Ten-T is finally driving around. I drove it around twice last night, but the temp stayed in the 104 range. Figure I need to lean it out some to elevate the temps to the 190 range correct. Do you just lean out low and high.

Also I used the hand ignitor to start as the losi wire for the glow plug will not fit onto the A3 glow plug. How did you go about getting this to fit, I assume you stretched open the coil wires.
No don't lean it out to get the temps up or you risk hurting the motors durability. If you need to, try wrapping it in tin-foil and a sock. There are a bunch of threads on this on the Losi forums.

Maybe we can meet up some day at NorCal Hobbies and run them on the track. I plan to go out there later next week. Maybe Thursday or Friday in the early afternoon depending on the weather. I ran it today on a free track in San Jose and the tires definitely didn't like that dirt at all. It did much better at NorCal last week.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:08 PM   #50
Tech Regular

And yes just spread the coils a little to get the igniter coil on.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:06 PM   #51
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
And yes just spread the coils a little to get the igniter coil on.
What did you use to spread the coil wires. Tried needle noose pliers, but still hard to get on, once glow plug is installed in the head. Might just leave it off and use hand glow ignitor.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:03 AM   #52
Tech Regular

Quote:
What did you use to spread the coil wires. Tried needle noose pliers, but still hard to get on, once glow plug is installed in the head. Might just leave it off and use hand glow ignitor.
I used pliers. The remote start is useful at places like the track. I can take my time walking up to the driver's platform with the car off and not wasting gas....then press the button and I'm off. I honestly figured I would remove the ROSS system eventually, but I am beginning to like it.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:07 PM   #53
Tech Apprentice

Has anyone made a changes to the diff fluids or the shock oil. I read the Car Action and I believe he changed out the diff fluids for 5,000 weight and said it made a big difference over the stock greas. If anyone has made a change what did you use in the diffs and the shocks. Any info on other setup.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:14 PM   #54
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Has anyone made a changes to the diff fluids or the shock oil. I read the Car Action and I believe he changed out the diff fluids for 5,000 weight and said it made a big difference over the stock greas. If anyone has made a change what did you use in the diffs and the shocks. Any info on other setup.

i would personally try....try 5-5-2.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 05:16 PM   #55
Tech Regular

I haven't done anything like that, but I fear I wouldn;t be able to tell a difference at my driver skill level.

Here is a video of my first time on a RC Track ever:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2D8IZXrKg4
More crashing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZrRvdAsXZw
Old 01-10-2010, 05:23 PM   #56
Tech Rookie

So what is the overall opinion on the Ten-T?
I am getting ready to buy a car after being out of racing for a long time.
I am really liking the Ten-T from what I have seen online.
I am either gonna do a Ten-T and bash around or get a used Muegan mbx6 and go racing. What do you guys think I should do?
jallen100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 05:25 PM   #57
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
i would personally try....try 5-5-2.
Can someone give me a brief diff fluid for dummies summary? What will changing them do specifically?

I race real cars in real life so I understand basic handling dynamics, but I am not 100% sure what changing those fluid setting does. I assume heavier weights lowers the amount of power sent to those wheels. Is this the basic idea? And what does heavier vs lighter weight in the center diff do for the car?

If this is all covered in another thread (and it probably is), point me in that direction.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:27 PM   #58
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jallen100 View Post
I am either gonna do a Ten-T and bash around or get a used Muegan mbx6 and go racing. What do you guys think I should do?

well if your going racing get the mugen buggy, but if you see some guys with losi ten-t s.... at the track and make a class then yea, i would get one or just bash with it.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 05:30 PM   #59
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jallen100 View Post
I really like the Ten-T, but there is no racing for it yet locally. The support I got from Losi has been incredible (including a hour long call from Gary Keyes the man behind the car.)

This is my first Losi car ever, and I expect I will be buying more.

I know the Mugen is supposed to be a very nice racer, but it will cost much more if you need the electronics and motor, and I doubt you will get the support Losi is giving. Also I assume parts will be more difficult to get.

I do own one Mugen car from about 10 years ago.

One big advantage of the Mugen (in my eyes) is you can get it as a kit or as a roller. I much prefer building my cars!

Still if I get a 1/8 scale racer I will most likely go with a Losi product due to the support the have shown me in my few weeks of ownership. I am sure it will be equally competitive (or a driver's race) if I ever become a good driver.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:30 PM   #60
Tech Prophet

Quote:
I haven't done anything like that, but I fear I wouldn;t be able to tell a difference at my driver skill level.

Here is a video of my first time on a RC Track ever:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2D8IZXrKg4
More crashing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZrRvdAsXZw

not bad i do think though if you put diff oil, in the diffs it would be a lot better. where is that track at? just keep on practiceing
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote