R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-19-2009, 12:46 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Stock JPX.21 or Moded Novarossi N21

It's for my Jammin X2 CRT truggy. I realy don't know wich one to take.
I've try a stock Novarossi N21b in a buggy and this was realy too slow, and every body tell me that a stock JPX 21 is a beast when pair with a 086 pipe, lot of bottom and RPM.

But athe little Novarossi N21R, with the new purple cooling head seam to be good, and look cool too, and i think that Mark at Power House made a great porting job on this little engine.

But i would realy went to know if a stock JPX 21 is better (power output for power output, and top RPM for top RMP) than the moded Nova N21.

I realy like the Picco base engine, i have a JPX 28 that i realy like, and a Picco P3 in a drag car that is fantastic, and i have a GO engine, the new GX serie, 5 ports in a buggy that i like too.

It's for this reason that i realy don't know wich engine to choose for my truggy.

Thanks!
Mathiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:21 PM   #2
Tech Addict

I have the nova .21bf and it is a great motor but if you thought it was to slow in the buggy then it will be to way to slow in the truggy. I have never ran a jpx21 but I have a friend with one and that thing is a beast. If I was you I would go with the jpx21.

Team Associated B4.1 reedy 8.5, R10 Pro
Team Associated T4.1 OHP 17.5, Tekin RS
Team Associated B44.1 reedy 6.5, R10 Pro
smittyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:38 PM   #3
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

JPX.21 all the way.....or maybe contact Clock work mods for a Worked over JL.21 similar to a picco/jpx in alot of ways.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:54 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
JPX.21 all the way.....or maybe contact Clock work mods for a Worked over JL.21 similar to a picco/jpx in alot of ways.

Yes, i've see this new Ofna 21 JL. But i'am sure that the Jammin/Picco is better, not only in term of performance, but in material quality and longevity.

Maybe i'am wrong, but the JPX is a Picco, Italian base engine, and the Ofna 21 JL is a Force, Taiwaness base engine.

The Force 21 is prety new, and nobody here have somes decent opinion on this engine.

The JPX21 and Nova 21b are on the markaet since long time, and lot of people post comments on this mills.

I'am sure that a moded JPX21 should be a beast
But wich modders to choose from?? AB, RB, Clockwork, Power House performance.......

I've only seen AB moded engine run at my track, and the Picco P3 i've seen is absolutly monstruous, nothing can come close with it.

Probably that best thing to do will be to take a stock, reliable and powerfull engine, so the JPX21 seem to be a great choice.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:20 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Both engines run very good. The stock JPX .21 will definately be stronger all around than the stock N21R in every department but my race ported N21R runs very well and is definately very competative against most other .21's. I have a few guys that are running them now and they all have reported back they are stronger than expected and I have one guy that had a modded N21BF he bought from another engine modifier and wanted something a little stronger for his buggy so he bought a N21R from me to put in his buggy and he said it ended up being quite a bit stronger than the other modified N21 and he ended up putting it in his truggy to settle it down so I guess if ported, piped and tuned correctly, they are strong enough to run in a truggy. I have personally run the older Picco P7R's in my buggy and they were wicked. They were modded of course but not too many engine's stock or modified would hang with it back in the day but with improved pipe technology, engine design and new port designs that I have been working on, I can take smaller underpowered engines and make them real contenders. Hopefully those guys that have purchased the race ported versions of the N21R will chime in as they will be our best opinions on the overall performance of the engine. I ran one in my 808 earlier this season and it honked so I can honestly say that it definitely has the poop to push a truck. Will it be a big block .28, no but it will push it around like most other .21's can.
PowerHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:29 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Well, thanks Mark
Now i must take the decision if i take a stock JPX21 with a 086 pipe, or your moded N21R, with a 086 pipe too......
Old 12-19-2009, 02:34 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I can't comment on the nova as i haven't had one but i am running a jpx.21 in my x2crt & am pleased. Just finished the 3rd gallon & am installing tko ceramic bearings because the front started to seep a little. The rod is as good as new & it still has a little metal pinch left. The carb. slide may be starting to leak but i hope the moisture is from the front bearing. All in all def. can't beat it for the money.
romax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:06 PM   #8
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathiew View Post
Well, thanks Mark
Now i must take the decision if i take a stock JPX21 with a 086 pipe, or your moded N21R, with a 086 pipe too......

I would either run the 9853SS with the 41021 header or the 9901SS with the same header. If you are running mugen, run the 41029. The 086 will work well with the stock engine but if you get it ported by me, I can certainly set it up to run with an 086 but i can also set it up to make more low end than the 086 and still retain a very respectable top end using a longer pipe. You can also try to put a longer header on the 086. If you are running the dynamite 086, it uses a pretty short header so you can always throw a 41021 or 41029 on it to wake up the low end and still retain upper end performance. Novarossi calls it their short headers but they are a good 13.5mm longer than the ofna based headers so that alone will be a big difference on low end and midrange performance. I will have all headers in stock and hard coated right around the new year so if you want to play with some headers, I can certainly send you a couple to try out.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:08 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by romax View Post
I can't comment on the nova as i haven't had one but i am running a jpx.21 in my x2crt & am pleased. Just finished the 3rd gallon & am installing tko ceramic bearings because the front started to seep a little. The rod is as good as new & it still has a little metal pinch left. The carb. slide may be starting to leak but i hope the moisture is from the front bearing. All in all def. can't beat it for the money.
is your JPX is stock or moded?
Old 12-19-2009, 03:11 PM   #10
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I vote Jammin JPX .... Tho I fully believe Mark's modded N21 would be a killer engine no doupt..... However IMO the Picco/Jammin's have the most torque of any of the .21's, which really works well in Truggy, especially if your running with some traction..... I have run and modified all sorts of engines and myself have no issue making a S3 run with a jammin down the straight... However no matter what I do its difficult if not impossible to make a S3 have the same snap and launch as the JPX.... In fact I have not found another .21 that has the same type of bottom end the JPX has.... The JPX does scream hard on top, but there are faster out there, however IMO nothing has the same sort of acceleration potential the Jammin has.... The more load you put on the Jammin the more it will separate itself from the other .21's...... It works excelent in a truggy and will make your machine feel very light and effortless.... I have seen plenty of .21's that are just as fast, but I haven't found another with the same kind of power the Jammin/Picco has.......No knock against Mark's work by any means, but when it comes to a truggy engine I am always going to pick the Picco over any others.....Even if it was my own modded N21 I would still pick the Picco....
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:14 PM   #11
Tech Adept

So Mark, if i tell you: "mod me a Novarossi N21R to put in my truggy, and i want to have good power (fuel consumption is not a big problem), with lot of snap, good bottom end, and great top end, and send me the right headers and tune pipe." So you have no problems with it?
Old 12-19-2009, 03:19 PM   #12
Tech Adept

Great to hear Maximo, you have post your reply during that i was to write mine. So when i've send mine, your's was ever here before mine.

I have a JPX 28 that i realy love, great engine. But i've put it in my Kyosho Inferno GT2 on road car, and i wat a good, reliabe and powerfull 21 for my truggy.
Al guys at my track ran .28 engines, and don't believe me when i tell him that a good 21 can compet with their 28.

Maximo, do you have JPX 21 in stock right now??
Or tell me, is the Picco P7R EVO3 is as good as the JPX21????
Old 12-19-2009, 03:26 PM   #13
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Great to hear Maximo, you have post your reply during that i was to write mine. So when i've send mine, your's was ever here before mine.

I have a JPX 28 that i realy love, great engine. But i've put it in my Kyosho Inferno GT2 on road car, and i wat a good, reliabe and powerfull 21 for my truggy.
Al guys at my track ran .28 engines, and don't believe me when i tell him that a good 21 can compet with their 28.

Maximo, do you have JPX 21 in stock right now??
Or tell me, is the Picco P7R EVO3 is as good as the JPX21????
I have EVO 3 in stock... performance wise it is pretty much identical to JPX...except EVO 3 has a few updates done on it... my current stock are all turbo head as well..and they are all modified......... For sheer power the modified EVO 3 is going to be tough to beat, it feels more like a 28 then it does a .21, except it has great runtime and killer RPM on top end......
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:29 PM   #14
Tech Master

I agree Max! The Picco's case and crank volume or tighter and they have a lot of low end snap. They build fuel signal very quickly therefore giving it throttle response similar to if not better than the vspec. I have a local guy running a turboed Evo 1 from 2 years ago and with my turboed crank in it, it is hard to tell if it is a .21 or a .28 in the truck. However most people find that type of power delivery too much so it will depend on what he wants. The modded N21 will have more than enough low end to break the tires loose anytime you want but won't overpower the track everytime you get on it. It will depend what he wants for power delivery but he is looking for the most wicked thing he can put in a truggy, don't stop at the JPX .21, step it up to a nova or picco .28 if you want tire balloning power. I may have to start detuning my .28's because I have had 2 guys report back this month that the front tire foams ripped in half and exited through the hole cut in the tire to vent water and dirt giving them 2 flat tires up front. Two different engines, two different trucks. Maybe stronger foam lol?
Old 12-19-2009, 03:31 PM   #15
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
is your JPX is stock or moded?
Stock. In low traction situations i have to be real easy on the throttle , def has plenty torque . As a matter of fact i don't run this engine in my buggy unless traction is good. Ran it last wekend in my z01 b for a couple tanks w/ rb 2045 pipe & it seems to like that pipe. I will have to do some more testing but it may work good on the buggy.
romax is offline   Reply With Quote