Wiki Posts
Search

Brakes engage and won't disengage

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 07:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Brakes engage and won't disengage

Ok so I have been playing with my 8ight and have a little problem but don't know how to adjust it.

When I am playing with it the brakes will work fine. The buggy can freely roll without any problems. The issue is after I run it for a little while the brakes will start to be applied automatically.

After a little bit it will go back to normal where the cart will roll freely. I assume I am dragging the brakes causing them to heat up. I have tried messing with the linkage and it does the same thing. Any advice?
Old 12-19-2009, 08:04 AM
Tech Master

I had a brake dragging problem also, i fixed it by loosining up the 4 screws (1/4 turn) on the top plate over the center diff. Problem went away..
Old 12-19-2009, 08:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

Originally Posted by jrwoodchuck
I had a brake dragging problem also, i fixed it by loosining up the 4 screws (1/4 turn) on the top plate over the center diff. Problem went away..
yea same thing happened to mine. that is probably your problem
Old 12-19-2009, 08:42 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I loosened the screws but also filed the disc inside corners were they interface the drive cups and that made a huge improvement!
Old 12-19-2009, 08:51 AM
Tech Rookie

Might be worth trying some of the Answer-Rc brake springs ..... they will definately help!
Old 12-19-2009, 09:33 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jrwoodchuck

this is the problem 9 time's outta 10....when servicing the center diff you have a brain fart and you forget to back off the screw's a hair....get into the routine of checking the brakes for this exact issue.

The brake cams Can Bind in the bushing in the top plate...but its rare...if your kit is Super old...maybe look into getting a new linkage set-up off ebay and rebuild it with all new parts to ensure that wont be an issue in the future.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I might be having another issue that is just shown via this symptom.

For some reason the thing will run great for about a tank of fuel. Right around the end of the tank of fuel the brakes will just come on (which is the problem described at the beginning of this thread). I will go inspect the buggy and the servo controlling the throttle and brake won't be moving hardly. At this point if I try to turn the wheels the thing won't turn to the right, and only left. It acts as if the battery on the buggy is dying but I pulled it out and it is at 6.28V.

If I leave it off for about 10 min it starts working again.

Could the transmitter batteries cause this? They are a little low (about 5.3V).

Edit:

I think something is going on with the receiver or something here because I just sat in the house and worked the throttle and the steering servo and it worked fine. I adjusted the trim for the throttle and now the brakes aren't on. It acts as if the servo trim is changing while I am running the buggy.

I am going to test it but I suspect if I sit in the house and just work brakes and steering with the motor off that it will do the same thing again.