R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-18-2009, 08:47 PM   #1
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 17
Default Oil?

Hey everyone I was reading a thing on the internet about breaking in RC nitro cars. It said that i should add oil even before I pull the pull cord for the first time.
Will i be able to use grear oil or some other type of oil besides nitro oil?
Nitro kicks ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:50 PM   #2
Tech Elite
 
imaxx21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: FL
Posts: 2,725
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to imaxx21
Default

im sure it meant after run oil...
__________________
-Crash
Upgrade RC www.upgrade-rc.com
imaxx21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:22 PM   #3
Tech Lord
 
wingracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,781
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

NO, do NOT use gear oil.

If your talking about after run oil, Marvel Mystery Oil, ATF, or my favorite, Mobil One Synthetic are all good.

For adding extra oil to the fuel for break-in, you need an oil that blends with alcohol. The best are castor oil or Klotz Techniplate synthetic.
__________________
Sean. Certified speed crazed mowron.
Team Shepherd USA
www.ashfordhobby.com
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:37 AM   #4
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 17
Default

No i am not talking about after run oil.
The video and artical said put oil in the top of the piston before you start doing any thing with the motor.
Nitro kicks ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:51 AM   #5
Tech Master
 
helivaguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,220
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default

are you talking about novarossi assembly oil? if so its not required you can use what wingracer said,its also what i use.
__________________
The only thing that is "still like new" is the box it came in..
Only a half gallon through it my Ass!
helivaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:41 PM   #6
Tech Lord
 
Integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,482
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra
Default

ARO will work as assembly oil just fine.


Nitro kicks ass Its a wise idea to do this...but not 100% crucial....Just dont pull on the cord till your READY to start it for real.....Turning over a Brand new motor is never a good idea till you have a little heat on it and is primed with fuel.
__________________
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:28 PM   #7
Tech Addict
 
diozxlive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 625
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
NO, do NOT use gear oil.

If your talking about after run oil, Marvel Mystery Oil, ATF, or my favorite, Mobil One Synthetic are all good.

For adding extra oil to the fuel for break-in, you need an oil that blends with alcohol. The best are castor oil or Klotz Techniplate synthetic.
sorry to hijack this thread but do i you need a synthetic ATF or the normal would be enuf?
__________________
RC Flight/RC Grift and Drift
GP reactor, Hacker Superzomm XXL, mini funtana, mini ultrastik, bmr-2, e-hawk 1500, trex 450v2SE black, trex 450v2SE silver, Trex 500cf, trex600nsp, Thunder tiger 1/5 Ducati Desmo, revo3.3, HB cyclone ms, cyclone black, Tamiya volkswagen beetle, Mugen MBX6, X2 CRTpro
diozxlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:54 PM   #8
Tech Lord
 
wingracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,781
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

All most after run oils are is normal ATF. Some people say that the ATF after run oils can attack the silicone ramps in some crankshafts. I have never had this problem but just in case, I switched to Mobil One synthetic.
__________________
Sean. Certified speed crazed mowron.
Team Shepherd USA
www.ashfordhobby.com
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:47 PM   #9
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 17
Default

So let me get this straight.
I have a engine it is already assembled and I read some thing that said i sould put oil in the engine to lubracate it before i start doing any thing with it.
this is true?
Nitro kicks ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:31 PM   #10
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 98
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
NO, do NOT use gear oil.

If your talking about after run oil, Marvel Mystery Oil, ATF, or my favorite, Mobil One Synthetic are all good.

For adding extra oil to the fuel for break-in, you need an oil that blends with alcohol. The best are castor oil or Klotz Techniplate synthetic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by helivaguy View Post
are you talking about novarossi assembly oil? if so its not required you can use what wingracer said,its also what i use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
ARO will work as assembly oil just fine.


Nitro kicks ass Its a wise idea to do this...but not 100% crucial....Just dont pull on the cord till your READY to start it for real.....Turning over a Brand new motor is never a good idea till you have a little heat on it and is primed with fuel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
All most after run oils are is normal ATF. Some people say that the ATF after run oils can attack the silicone ramps in some crankshafts. I have never had this problem but just in case, I switched to Mobil One synthetic.
If you can't figure it out from all that, well that engine isn't going to last too long....
NitroAmmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:37 PM   #11
Tech Addict
 
JBURCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hampton Va
Posts: 626
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro kicks ass View Post
So let me get this straight.
I have a engine it is already assembled and I read some thing that said i sould put oil in the engine to lubracate it before i start doing any thing with it.
this is true?
Make it easier on ya NO!! AND NO!!! Just heat it up before starting and start it up the fuel will lubricate it.
JBURCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:13 PM   #12
Tech Elite
 
merdith6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brazoria, TX
Posts: 2,350
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Marvel Mystery Oil

I like marvel mystery oil for after run oil and after cleaning oil. Sure when an engine is new I always put 6-8 drops in through the carb and the exhaust hole and when I go to hit it on the starter box it has some extra lubrication to help it turn over. That's just common sense. I also lean out the low speed needle a bit to keep it runing and help it get started too. Not too much, maybe 2-3 hours. Good luck....
merdith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:30 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic
 
snowman6869's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brownsburg/Avon Indiana
Posts: 837
Trader Rating: 17 (90%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to snowman6869
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBURCH View Post
Make it easier on ya NO!! AND NO!!! Just heat it up before starting and start it up the fuel will lubricate it.
There ya go there is your number one answer
__________________
CASTER RACING TEAM DRIVER casterracingusa.com
ALPHA ENGINES
SPECTRUM
SAVOX
LUCKY7 RC FASTLANE GRAPHIX
snowman6869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 09:20 AM   #14
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by merdith6 View Post
I like marvel mystery oil for after run oil and after cleaning oil. Sure when an engine is new I always put 6-8 drops in through the carb and the exhaust hole and when I go to hit it on the starter box it has some extra lubrication to help it turn over. That's just common sense. I also lean out the low speed needle a bit to keep it runing and help it get started too. Not too much, maybe 2-3 hours. Good luck....
What kind of oil did you say that you used when a engine is brand new. the 6-8 drops of what kind of oil?
Nitro kicks ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 10:00 AM   #15
Tech Regular
 
triplesix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: 48.137499,11.575494
Posts: 445
Default

before turning over a brand new engine on the starter box for the first time, i put in a few drops of castor oil through the glow plug hole and pre-heat it. plain simple
__________________
MBX6R
B5M Lowrider
DEX410
Supastox GT
triplesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to remove baked on oil/dirt from pipe/header? MMor101 Nitro Off-Road 34 01-02-2009 08:04 PM
Shock Oil Comparison Chart 6g72tt Nitro Off-Road 6 09-17-2007 08:53 AM
After Run Oil? DookieBooty Nitro On-Road 61 01-31-2005 10:07 PM
After Run oil corvettecrazy Nitro On-Road 29 04-08-2003 06:09 PM
Lets Talk 2-stroke oil for 1/5 scale cars.. MaxPower Oval, Larger Scales and More 16 04-01-2003 03:37 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:09 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net