R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-18-2009, 07:06 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default Hudy camber measurement question

I'm looking at the Hudy setup guide and the way it says to measure camber doesn't make sense to me. It says to put the truggy/buggy in the setup station and to put the 30mm droop blocks under the chassis. Press down on the chassis so the suspension compresses and the chassis is resting flat on top of the 30mm droop blocks.
Now if you watch the wheels as the suspension compresses and rebounds, camber constantly changes throughout the travel. So say you set your camber per the guide to -2 degrees all the way around, it will be -2 degrees at a 30mm ride height because it was set on the 30mm droop blocks. So if I'm running a ride height of 38mm front and 40mm rear, my camber is not going to be -2 degrees at my set ride height. So how am I supposed to get an accurate camber setting? Sure, I can do the math and see how much the camber changes through the suspension travel and adjust per the rate that's figured up. I didn't spend money on this bad ass setup station to have to do math though. How are you guys doing it?
pickle311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:10 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to imaxx21

i always did it without the blocks
Old 12-18-2009, 07:19 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaxx21 View Post
i always did it without the blocks
Well, atleast the car will compress the suspension under it's own weight and be closer to the true ride height that way. That's probably what I'll do.
pickle311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:20 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to imaxx21

make sure you have the body on and everything
Old 12-18-2009, 07:22 PM   #5
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaxx21 View Post
make sure you have the body on and everything

X2 and a 1/2 or full tank of fuel.....basically make it like you were walking out to the track for a qualifier...needs to be Race Ready if you want consistent #'s.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:51 AM   #6
Tech Adept

On the track yours wheels will be continiuosly changing in ride height so will never be at your 2 deg other than for a moment. In altering your ride height again alters your said 2 deg you are trying to achieve. The principal of the blocks is it gives a datum point when the chassis is pressed against it, you can now do your run & decide i want more or less & have somthing to work against. THe blocks where guaged on a buggy & can be used on truggy although in my view are to small for truggy as 40mm is probably a better size.

Last edited by Bren Ralls; 12-19-2009 at 02:55 AM.
Bren Ralls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:03 AM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I haven't got the 30mm blocks yet, so what I do is put the wheels on and set the ride height up to where I want it with a full gas tank etc. Then I take the wheels off and put the car on the setup station and adjust camber. It works pretty good for me.
Rampokker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:19 AM   #8
Tech Master

Blocks are used exactly like Bren said. they are for a reference only so that when you change camber you are always changing from the same base line instead of trying to settel the car to a random ride height. Once you know what you want the blocks make a an perfectly exact duplicate setup in under 5 min including instaling & uninstaling fixtures.

I have found a setup for my car that works perfect almost every where I run it so from a complete teardown its real quick to get where I want to exactly.

If you have a setup on your truck you like simply put the blocks under chassis,record measurement,& return to that every time.No bouncing,proding,or setteling the chassis. Ride height is the only thing I dont use blocks for.