R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-17-2009, 04:48 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 8IGHT 2.0 starting issue.

I just got this buggy in and I can't seem to start the thing.

The starter box batteries are charged. I can't seem to turn the blue gear at all for it to turn over the motor.

any tips?
kur1j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:56 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

im assuming the blue "gear" is actually the flywheel. fyi, its a flywheel and not a gear. anyways, you must preheat the engine to opperating temp before turning it over. use a heat gun (or hair dryer if you must) to get the case up to about 200* F.
C.Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:56 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

mke sure the motor is at BDC (piston at bottom dead center) and heat that thing up with a hair dryer or heat gun. those motors are very tight for break in
quicklosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:57 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

im sure this does not need to be said, but obviously you need a glow igniter which should also be full battery. also check gaskets and fuel lines, make sure the head is tight as well.
C.Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:05 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

I am getting it to turn over now.

But it won't crank. Is there any way to check if this glow igniter battery is fully charged?
Old 12-17-2009, 05:18 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kur1j View Post
I am getting it to turn over now.

But it won't crank. Is there any way to check if this glow igniter battery is fully charged?
Take the glow plug out of the engine and plug the ignitor on it and see if it glows. Is the engine turning over fast or slow?
JBURCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:21 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

also check the fuel line going to the carb and see if there is fuel flowing through when you turn the motor over.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:21 PM   #8
Tech Apprentice

Well I was able to get the fly wheel to spin but the thing won't crank.

I smelled a funny smell so I assume it was burning some fuel.

I primed it by putting my finger over the exhaust and trying to crank it without the glow igniter for about 3-5 seconds. I then did the same for about 3-5 seconds without my finger over the exhaust. I then took the glow igniter and put it on the glow plug left it for about 3 seconds and then tried turning over the motor again for about 10 seconds and it didn't crank. I tried it again but no luck.

How long can I safely leave the glow plug igniter on the glow plug without damaging it?

Also when the thing turns and I am cranking it I always have to get a screwdriver to force the flywheel to turn over after I try to crank it each time. It always ends up getting stuck in the same damn place and I can't turn it with my finger so I have to get a flat head and pry at the grooves at the fly wheel to make it go to BDS.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:44 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBURCH View Post
Take the glow plug out of the engine and plug the ignitor on it and see if it glows. Is the engine turning over fast or slow?
I did and the glow plug lights up really quickly. Quickly goes to an amber color. I don't know if its turning over "fast" or "slow" really. It seems pretty quick to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayyer View Post
also check the fuel line going to the carb and see if there is fuel flowing through when you turn the motor over.
There is fuel in the fuel lines.

I might have flooded it. I'm not sure.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:50 PM   #10
Tech Prophet

Quote:
I did and the glow plug lights up really quickly. Quickly goes to an amber color. I don't know if its turning over "fast" or "slow" really. It seems pretty quick to me.

There is fuel in the fuel lines.

I might have flooded it. I'm not sure.

take the glow plug out and put your buggy on the starter box and put a rag,
over the cooling head and line your flywheel up. on the box and let it turn, and it will spit out fuel if its flooded out of the cooling head.

is your starter box wheel going counter clockwise and is your battery in your box charged.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 06:05 PM   #11
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
take the glow plug out and put your buggy on the starter box and put a rag,
over the cooling head and line your flywheel up. on the box and let it turn, and it will spit out fuel if its flooded out of the cooling head.

is your starter box wheel going counter clockwise and is your battery in your box charged.
I can't see any fuel on the rag after I try this.

It seems to be charged. I am going to try and charge the starter box batteries some more. They seem to be ok and will turn the flywheel quickly if it isn't already TDC.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:32 PM   #12
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Quote:

It seems to be charged. I am going to try and charge the starter box batteries some more. They seem to be ok and will turn the flywheel quickly if it isn't already TDC.
If you don't want too heat not my recommendation take your glow plug wrench loosen the glow plug just a tad then attach your igniter once its starts close with your igniter then your wrench. Make sure you break-in your engine.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:36 PM   #13
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:

If you cant see any fuel then check the high speed needle to see if its closed, if you cant turn it clockwise then its closed.
JBURCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 06:42 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

when i had the 2.0 and when i was breaking the motor in it was a pain in the but it wouldnt start neither so i turned the high speed needle out about a turn maybe a little more and i heated my engine ever time before i tried to crank it but after about 15 minutes it was running you might need to make sure the low end and the high end needles are set at the proper settings look thru the manual and it should tell you the proper setting i hope this helps.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:22 PM   #15
Tech Apprentice

I think it was firing but it wouldn't keep firing or at least I thought I heard it firing. I reset the carb back to factory default. At this point which way should I go? Should I start richening the mixture or leaning it out if it still won't start?

The damn batteries in the starter box are now dead so I am having to recharge them.