Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
8IGHT 2.0  starting issue. >

8IGHT 2.0 starting issue.

8IGHT 2.0 starting issue.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would lean the high speed gradually, I wouldnt mess with the low yet. It needs heat in it so dont be shy to heat itup to 200 with the heat gun before starting it. Once running it should be spitting out raw fuel then you can lean it out somemore
Old 12-17-2009, 07:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

heck yeah I got it fired up. It looks like that fixed it.

I am doing the breakin right now. So far I have run it about 8 minutes total. I richened it up a little just to make sure I am not running it lean. I got it up to about 200 degrees and kept it there and then just let it idle for a few.

So far this is kinda what it is doing.

It idles pretty good. When it finally cranked the first time it ran about 45 seconds (just idle) and it cut off. I cranked it back up and it ran about 1.5 minutes before it just cut off. The next time I cranked it, it stayed running for the whole 3 minutes.

Doing my figure 8's if I ease on the gas a little the thing will kinda sputter. There seems to be a good bit of smoke (kinda hard to tell it is dark here). I let off and it goes back to idling. I did cut off one other time when I did the same thing.

I am assuming this is because I am running it too rich currently? Which I assume is what I want during the break in process.

Currently I am not getting lot of blue smoke while idling but if I give it any amount of throttle it will blow blue smoke. It sounds like it is almost growling when it is running right now. I am assuming that is because it is lean.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yes those are all the signs of running rich which is ok as long as you keep the temps up around 200. You wont see smoke until you blip the throttle. Sounds like you have it now Good Luck keep it rich but over 200
Old 12-17-2009, 08:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by JBURCH
Yes those are all the signs of running rich which is ok as long as you keep the temps up around 200. You wont see smoke until you blip the throttle. Sounds like you have it now Good Luck keep it rich but over 200
Damn over 200? I am having a hard time getting it up to 200. I can't drive worth a shit haha. Now I know what my grandmother feels like.

Is there a reverse on this thing? haha.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Well I assume that the engine is breaking in because it was kinda sputtering when it was running at about 10-15MPH and then all of a sudden it just kinda gave way and really spun up without me doing anything. I have done all of the short runs. I am going to start running it 5 minutes for the 20-25 min now.

I am going to need more fuel by the end of day Sat. haha.

Also when I go to crank it back up I have been heating it back up every single time. How long should I keep doing this or is this just to aid in cranking?
Old 12-18-2009, 06:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Tuning issues.

Well I finished doing the "breakin" as stated in the sticky. But having issues tuning.

So I started tuning the engine, I refueled and noticed the throttle mechanism was not working fluently. I needed some more fuel so I went to the LHS to get some and decided to take the buggy to show them just in case I needed something else.

The guy saw it and fixed it. He also worked on my steering and stuff as well so that seems to be all good now.

When I got back the thing was running really hard. It got up to about 220 degrees just sitting on the starter box while I was trying to adjust it.

I adjusted the low need and the idle and seems to fixed that. It dropped to around 180 degrees just sitting on the box. I then started driving it around and it got to about 200 and was kinda choking. I leaned it out 1/4 turn and started running it again. Well it got up to about 220 degrees, I could get to a little over 3/4 throttle and then the motor would cut out. I leaned it out some more and it did the same thing but just got hotter. So I richened it out some, I was able to get on full throttle for about 1 second before the motor starts sputtering and then dying. If I let off the throttle it stays running but if I give it more than 3/4 it just dies. I couldn't ever get to run smoothly at full throttle.

http://daretothinkdifferent.com/rcsound.mp3

Hopefully I didn't ruin anything.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kur1j
Well I finished doing the "breakin" as stated in the sticky. But having issues tuning.

So I started tuning the engine, I refueled and noticed the throttle mechanism was not working fluently. I needed some more fuel so I went to the LHS to get some and decided to take the buggy to show them just in case I needed something else.

The guy saw it and fixed it. He also worked on my steering and stuff as well so that seems to be all good now.

When I got back the thing was running really hard. It got up to about 220 degrees just sitting on the starter box while I was trying to adjust it.

I adjusted the low need and the idle and seems to fixed that. It dropped to around 180 degrees just sitting on the box. I then started driving it around and it got to about 200 and was kinda choking. I leaned it out 1/4 turn and started running it again. Well it got up to about 220 degrees, I could get to a little over 3/4 throttle and then the motor would cut out. I leaned it out some more and it did the same thing but just got hotter. So I richened it out some, I was able to get on full throttle for about 1 second before the motor starts sputtering and then dying. If I let off the throttle it stays running but if I give it more than 3/4 it just dies. I couldn't ever get to run smoothly at full throttle.

http://daretothinkdifferent.com/rcsound.mp3

Hopefully I didn't ruin anything.

try a new glow plug.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by DPowers
try a new glow plug.
Well the guy that looked at the buggy took the glow plug out and said it looks good.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

If it's cutting out at high speeds, it's lean on the HSN. just richen both needles up about 1/4 of a turn and retune.

Always lean one needle at a time, and always start with the HSN, because the HSN affects the LSN