Wiki Posts
Search

How do you guys manage two cars....Practice & Race

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 07:20 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default How do you guys manage two cars....Practice & Race

What are you guys doin that works best for you? I bought a used roller to use as a spare car. Now im thinkin I will use it as my race car, and have my other as a practice car. They are both 2.0, so I just have to swap radio trays. Do most people just keep one car goin the other for parts, or have one for practice one for race ready to go? I was thinkin it might be to much maintenace havin two goin, but maybe it will actually save me time in some way. It will be my first year racin

Thanks 871
Old 12-17-2009, 07:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

usually one as a complete ready to go car and then one as a roller minus engine and electronics, but still have spare engine and electronics nessicary to complete spare roller. its just easier to keep them out if you end up needing to pull some obscure part from the spare roller which would normally be difficult to get at with the radio tray and engine in.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:28 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Show871
What are you guys doin that works best for you? I bought a used roller to use as a spare car. Now im thinkin I will use it as my race car, and have my other as a practice car. They are both 2.0, so I just have to swap radio trays. Do most people just keep one car goin the other for parts, or have one for practice one for race ready to go? I was thinkin it might be to much maintenace havin two goin, but maybe it will actually save me time in some way. It will be my first year racin

Thanks 871
Personally I keep all my cars ready to go with servos , receivers and battery along with a good setup. As far as engine/pipe go , I have so many of those I put one in that I wanna run at the track .

Hope this helps,
Monty

R/c is an addiction but please , no interventions !!! LOL
Old 12-17-2009, 07:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I only practice during heats. I have a spare car ready, so if I have major breakage I can just grab it and not have to speed wrench right up to the mains. I like a stress free race day so I can concentrate on having fun.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

I have 2 complete ready to race buggy setup the same, I usually practice and do the quals with one and the mains with the other, or in case one breaks down I have a backup, like someone said before I like to a have fun race day, not wrench all day long.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

In the case of two cars for the same class One is a practice car and the other is the race car. The race car only sees action for larger races. Club racing is for the practice car.

Now with having 3 cars.... one for practice days, one for club racing and the other is for large races. They are simply hand me down parts from the large race car to the club car to the practice car. However the radio gear stays in the Race car and the radio tray gets swapped between the practice and club car.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:05 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

2 complete cars makes for less stress on race day. If one breaks the other is ready to go. When my son raced mx we had up to 4 bikes . 1 practice 1 stock 1 mod & 1 supermini . If i can keep those up 2 buggies won't be too bad. If you use 1 for practice & the other for the race it will be a little more work getting ready for the next race so i like the idea of running one for say 5 club races then do a complete tear down & service on that one , then using the second buggy the same time while getting the first one back to perfect. Then repeat.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:10 AM
noR
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Good plan Show.

I did my first race season w/only 1 truggy.

This season I'm going in with 2. I only own one motor, and one personal transponder. I have enough receivers to prep both radio boxes. (except that whole transponder thing) and while I have enough servos to set up both radio trays; they're not really similar, so I'm leaving those off as well.

The rollers will both be as identical as I can make them. This will mean some extra upkeep on the practice roller as I'll be trying to keep it somewhat "fresh" like the race roller.

When I transition from practice to race rollers; I'll move the motor, and the radio tray. I'll have my spare radio tray setup w/servos and receiver, just in case; but it'll mean adjusting endpoints & whatnot, so I hope not to have to bounce between radio trays. [This way also protects me from accidentally leaving the wrong model selected on the Tx.]

Not sure what I'm in for just yet, but we'll see how the season goes.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

I have a Mugen so I really dont need many spare parts, but I do got arms and diffs. Still sitting there unused.
The Revo on the other hand, I can probably build 2 other with all my parts. LOL
Old 12-17-2009, 08:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Regardless of how you do it, two cars does make your life a lot easier, even if you buy the second one to practice used for parts, I have Two MP9's one brand new built ready to go ( my practice and quals car) and the season old one freshly rebuild as my main car.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

I just wanna make sure im understanding some of you. You guys have one that you use in practice and heats, but use a different one in the mains? I rather change stuf on my ride and try it. I dont car how it would work on my spare car, thats not the one im racing.
Kinda goofy in my opinion unless im missing something.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:27 AM
noR
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by portyansky
I just wanna make sure im understanding some of you. You guys have one that you use in practice and heats, but use a different one in the mains? I rather change stuf on my ride and try it. I dont car how it would work on my spare car, thats not the one im racing.
I kinda agree. My practice buggy would be for practice days. My race buggy would be for race days. On race days, the practice buggy becomes a parts-car. (or backup-car if catastrophic failure strikes.)

I don't WANT to have to drive both cars on race day, then I'd have to clean & prep BOTH, doubling my efforts instead of halving them.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by portyansky
I have one car that sees only practice days and testing. Another car for Club racing and another for racing big events like the Nitro Challenge, Silverstate, Nationals etc.

The parts trickle down so the "Nats" car is always fresh. If I do something stupid to my club car, the practice car comes out as a back up.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I just use one car. There is NO reason why one car shouldn't last through a whole race weekend with quality performance, unless mud bogging.

Appropriatly preparing a car for the race weekend is key. I would rather practice and qualify with the same piece I run in the main so there is no surprises.

Having a club car and big race car is different, because then you know which car to prepare, but still only taking one car to the race.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:16 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I could never understand why some guys will run a "practice car or engine" only on practice and then a different car or engine on race days. I know the same car with the same setup should drive the same but different engines?? Why not practice with the same car/ engine you are going to race with. Suspension's develop slop and all cars wear differently, it does not take much for a car to behave differently. So why 2 different cars or engines. I can see having one as a parts car or for backup. This has always never made sense to me, but there must be some logic to the madness. IDK. I run one car/ engine for practice or for race day, same thing with the truggy. Then I maintain the hell out of it so it is nice and fresh every time I practice or race.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.