Wiki Posts
Search

8ight T 2.0 rear diff Shims ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 08:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default 8ight T 2.0 rear diff Shims ?

How many shims are you guys using. The book says 2 -.25 and 1 -.10 on one side and 3- .10 on the other side. When I took mine apart to change dif fluid it had 2- .25s on each side. Everything is tight. Am I okay or should I do as per manual?
Old 12-15-2009, 08:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The manual is for reference only, you should shim it till there is no play between pinion and ring gear, but not so tight that it grinds, all cars will shim diferent, this is due to manufactures tolerences on the parts.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

Don't do it by the manual. You have to play with the shimming to get it right. Use enough shims that you can't slide the diff assembly back and forth in the transmission housing. Clamp the transmission together with all four screws, hold on to two outdrives with your fingers and rock the transmission outdrive cup (not cvd part)to see if there is any play. If its not right open it back up and change the shims around left to right, right to left and re-clamp. There should be a very minimum amount of play if any. You may find a high spot when you fully rotate the rear center CVD, if so don't worry it will break in after a tank or two. I check mine every race day, you have to stay on the shimming if you don't want to blow a R&P.