R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-16-2009, 04:57 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by slasher man View Post
is the sh z car truggy good
I don't know the answer to that. It is almost certainly better than the Mammoth... but I don't know enough to say how much better.

If you can afford them, I would stick to something from XRAY, Mugen, Losi, etc.

If you need to go down a bit on price maybe Hot Bodies or Caster.

I don't think I'd go beyond those on trying to save money. It costs more in the long run to buy cheap stuff first.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:00 PM   #17
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
I don't know the answer to that. It is almost certainly better than the Mammoth... but I don't know enough to say how much better.

If you can afford them, I would stick to something from XRAY, Mugen, Losi, etc.

If you need to go down a bit on price maybe Hot Bodies or Caster.

I don't think I'd go beyond those on trying to save money. It costs more in the long run to buy cheap stuff first.
like the caster k8t
slasher man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:15 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by slasher man View Post
like the caster k8t
The Caster K8T is a decent truck for the price. So is the HotBodies D8T.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:50 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

my buddy won the first PNB with a mugen mbx5t and then is ran the losi, koyosho and the HB D8T and he said he liked the HB better than all the ones he drove but everone has there own opionions about everthing.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:45 PM   #20
Suspended

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
Slasher man,

My apologies in advance, I'm not trying to put you or your truck down... that truck is probably a fine basher.

It will never be race-worthy. The engine is WAY too far back in the chassis to be able to turn like the race trucks. It doesn't have big bore shocks (nor would I suggest you spend the money to get them for that.)

It has a 2-speed (according to the specs I can find on the web) so it isn't class legal as a truggy.

It is really unfortunate that manufacturers promote stuff like this. And honestly, the PARTS quality looks ok... but there is a reason it costs so much less.

With smaller bore shocks like that you're going to want to run fairly heavy shock oil. Something like 55 front 50 rear will be a decent starting point... but it is hard to say without knowing what shock pistons it has. Also the spring rates may not be well matched to that. Try it as a starting point.

Try 10k front, 10k center, 5k rear as a starting point for diff fluids.
While it is not a competative truggy, the ST PRO does NOT have a 2 speed, it has a center diff. Yes the engine is WAAAY too far back. The ST PRO was XTMs best attempt by far. 7075 aluminum all over the place and braces (while an afterthought on a poor design) did the job with 7075 chassis. I think it's an OK beginner TRUGGY if the track is big enough and competition isn't too crazy. HB good budget starting place too.
Cadimman is offline   Reply With Quote