Community
Wiki Posts
Search

In a need for a charger for my JR XS3 radio

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 01:30 PM
Tech Adept

Default In a need for a charger for my JR XS3 radio

I have the JR XS3 radio. The radio supports a rechargeable battery pack. That particular battery pack is a Ni-Cd battery with 8 cells and is 700 mAh (JRPB958). I have searched all over the internet to find a JR wall charger for this battery but I can't find one that supports 220 volt input (Europe).

But, I found this charger: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Universal-Ni-C...item563304c456

In the description for this charger it says that it has reverse-polarity, right? I think the JR XS3 has reverse polarity aswell. However, in the XS3's manual it clearly states:

"Located on the left-hand side of the transmitter is the charging jack that accepts only JR wall chargers. Please do not attempt to use any other brand of wall charger, as it may be reverse polarity and can cause damage to your system. Only use the JR wall charger when the XS3 is equipped with Ni-Cd batteries (JRPB958, available separately)."

What should I do? Go with the ebay charger?

Last edited by helgso; 12-28-2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by helgso
I have the JR XS3 radio. The radio supports a rechargeable battery pack. That particular battery pack is a Ni-Cd battery with 8 cells and is 700 mAh (JRPB958). I have searched all over the internet to find a JR wall charger for this battery but I can't find one that supports 220 volt input (Europe).

But, I found this charger: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Universal-Ni-C...item563304c456

In the description for this charger it says that it has reverse-polarity, right? I think the JR XS3 has reverse polarity aswell. However, in the XS3's manual it clearly states:

"Located on the left-hand side of the transmitter is the charging jack that accepts only JR wall chargers. Please do not attempt to use any other brand of wall charger, as it may be reverse polarity and can cause damage to your system. Only use the JR wall charger when the XS3 is equipped with Ni-Cd batteries (JRPB958, available separately)."

What should I do? Go with the ebay charger?
Looks like to me you answered your own question with the quote from JR, can you order the charge from Horizon Hobby?
Old 12-28-2009, 02:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

why not take the battery out of the radio, and get a multi charger like the hyperion 06060i get a power supply that does both 110 and 220 like from ultimate racing and your set.

Just use a jr connector without the plastic and you can charge it, atleast u can use the charge for anything else in the future.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I made my own adapter and use any of the many chargers I have.
Only deal is JR/Spectrum reverse the polarity compared to others.
The wall chargers will have to charge overnight.
JR makes wall warts for charging. They have one just for a TX and the also make one that will charge TX and Rx pack at the same time.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:03 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by shesha
why not take the battery out of the radio, and get a multi charger like the hyperion 06060i get a power supply that does both 110 and 220 like from ultimate racing and your set.

Just use a jr connector without the plastic and you can charge it, atleast u can use the charge for anything else in the future.
Take a look at the battery ( http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...RPB958-450.jpg ). It has connectors like the cubic batteries. Can I still use the Hyperion 0606i to charge that? How would I exactly do that, where will I get a "JR connector without the plastic" and how do I assemble all these things so I can charge the battery?

Please be easy on me, I have absolutely no experience with customizing chargers

Originally Posted by JBURCH
Looks like to me you answered your own question with the quote from JR, can you order the charger from Horizon Hobby?
I know they sell the JR wall charger, exactly what I need, except for that it doesn't support 220 volt input. I e-mailed them a couple of days ago asking for a 220 volt charger hoping for them to answer. I'm not too optimistic that they will answer, however.