R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-15-2009, 06:35 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)
Send a message via MSN to tkhoo
Default Setting.

Hi guys, I am a newbie on setting a car. Before I learn how to drive buggy, how to take a jump and how to tune a engine. And now I just started plan to learn how to set up a car in different track cond. Currently I run in a loose and dusty track with many 180 degree turn. My 1st question is as below:

1,do i need to fully tighten the set screw on the front and rear anti roll bar or different tightness will make different setting on the car.

2,what I will feel if with and without the anti roll bar

Thanks.....
tkhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:06 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

see stickies.
C.Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:21 PM   #3
Tech Adept

The set screws are used to take up the slack between different size roll bars. They are best set so they just touch the roll bar to nip it but not cause friction or to make it tight. If they are left loose you will get allot of free play before the roll bar does what its designed to do.

Removing roll bars depends on the track but is not often done but if it is normally the front is removed. somtimes really bumpy or blown out tracks it makes for an easier drive. Another time is if the car pushes like mad on low traction surfaces, turns are very slow & all you need is more steering. if any sign of speed or high bite you may traction roll.
I have run with no front roll bar in the past but there is a time and place for it, just give it a go on a practice day to see the effects.
Bren Ralls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:35 PM   #4
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren Ralls View Post
The set screws are used to take up the slack between different size roll bars. They are best set so they just touch the roll bar to nip it but not cause friction or to make it tight. If they are left loose you will get allot of free play before the roll bar does what its designed to do.

Removing roll bars depends on the track but is not often done but if it is normally the front is removed. somtimes really bumpy or blown out tracks it makes for an easier drive. Another time is if the car pushes like mad on low traction surfaces, turns are very slow & all you need is more steering. if any sign of speed or high bite you may traction roll.
I have run with no front roll bar in the past but there is a time and place for it, just give it a go on a practice day to see the effects.

so on a rutty blown out track that is rough removing the front sway bar helps
interesting, it is harder to drive with a swaybar in the front when the track is rutty and blown out
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:50 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
so on a rutty blown out track that is rough removing the front sway bar helps
interesting, it is harder to drive with a swaybar in the front when the track is rutty and blown out
you dont think so or what? i agree removing helps on rough tracks
Old 12-16-2009, 03:23 PM   #6
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by fukitol View Post
you dont think so or what? i agree removing helps on rough tracks

well it makes sense i never tried it on my eight b i just havnt seen people,
do it on my track.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:21 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Hi, meaning if run on bumpy track best to remove front anti roll bar?Thanks
Old 12-18-2009, 05:40 AM   #8
Tech Adept

Give it a go & see, but if its blown out low grip & the track is slow to drive it will be easier. The forums are great for advice & getting ideas but only you can tell as your the one aiming it.
Bren Ralls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:56 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Interesting. I see you drive an MBX5, is that correct?

That car has a pronounced push. I used to drive one... and I DID like the handling better without a front bar or with a much smaller front bar. (I bought some "music wire" from the hobby shop and made a bar that was only about a 1.8mm bar.) It made it turn in better.

Tire selection is also important. My favorite tires on that car used to be Panther Komodo Dragons. (Not Komodo Dragon II) However, some of the newer tire designs may be better. I haven't driven it with AKA Cityblocks for example- I stopped running buggy and changed to truggy LONG before those were released. Note that our track was rough, loose, and dusty.

If the track is loose and dusty, you don't want a small pin tire like a Holeshot.

ProLine Crimefighters are good tires, but, on a bumpy track they can catch a rut due to the flat profile. Bowties are better in those conditions.

(Note the similarities in design of the Komodo Dragon and the Bowties... somewhat rounded tire profile, relatively large "pins" on the tread.) For the conditions you describe, look for tires with those features.

On a bumpy track it is better to have the suspension as soft as you can run it without bottoming out... it will give you more traction... BUT, too soft will bottom out and make things worse.

And to help that Mugen turn... maybe 5k front, 5k center (7k is ok but will make the car more aggressive) and 1k or 2k rear. 3k in the front would give more steering, but sacrifice some traction on exit from the corner.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 04:30 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Thanks.....Guys.